Just want to say hi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris37

I'm new to this site, 37 year old male, recently had a heart catherter (my first one) 4 days ago. Diagnois confirmed what they already knew, that I have to have two valves replaced.

I'm not sure when I have to have the surgery yet, I find that out next week. My biggest worries are: recovery from the surgery, being a very active person having to recoup for between 3 to 8 weeks seems like an eternity to me...and I'm not happy about having to have a scar.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Welcome to the group, Chris.
Two valves at once; that kind of bites.
Don't worry about the recovery. Your body adjusts and it's easier to relax than you think.

I'm like you. Sitting around for long periods of time doesn't sound very appealing.

I'm about 3.5 weeks post op and am just starting to get a little bored. Once the doc lets me drive, I think it'll go away. The lack of independence gets a bit old after a while.

You'll be surprised at how quickly you can do things. You walk 1-2 days after surgery, you leave the hospital after 5 days or so, after a week or two, you find your concentration coming back, after a couple of weeks you are walking a half hour at a time. It's a quick and satisfying process if you keep a healthy positive attitude.

There isn't much you can do about the scar, but you get used to it after a while, like a tattoo. :)

It sounds like you'll do ok. You just heard you're getting surgery and you're already thinking about recovery!!!
Kev

Welcome

Welcome

Hi Chris-

You'll find so much useful information on this site. There's almost always someone who can give very helpful answers to your questions.

As far as your surgery goes, you will do just fine and will feel so much better afterward. Wear the scars proudly, they really are a mark of courage and show the world that you are the brave survivor of a life-threatening situation.

My husband Joe has had 3 open heart surgeries, two through the sternum and one through the side/front. In addition he has a pacemaker scar, two thoracotomy scars and numerous small scars where the chest tubes and other drains were inserted. He doesn't care one whit about who sees his scars or what they think, he and I know what he endured to have as normal life as he could possibly have. He's proud and so am I of him.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hi Chris.. Welcome to this site. Pull up a chair, have a cuppa and wait for people to give you the support you need to get through this. I understand where you are and what you are feeling at this moment.
You are not alone! I am female, 54 years old, and 53 when I needed surgery. I had Aortic Congenital stenosis but never knew until last year that there was a problem. I thought I had very few symptoms other than being tired a lot of the time, but blamed it on menopause.
It all happened so gradual that I really did not notice the problems coming on. I became used to the crummy way I felt I think.

As far as I can remember back I've had a heart murmur and doctors would comment on it when they listened to my heart. No one ever told me that it would be a good idea to have that murmur thoroughly checked out until last year, when I sought help from a homeopath for menopause issues.
I followed her advise (don't know why. I hate doctors and I avoid them like the plague) and received the absolute shock of my life July 13th 2000. I needed heart surgery soon if I wanted to avoid sudden death. I had the surgery within two weeks, and received a mechanical valve (St.Jude's) because of my age (53)
I am almost one year post-op and am doing okay. Am on Coumadin and that is not a problem other than that it can be difficult to regulate for some people.
My surgeon did not give me a choice in valve, and told me off the bat that his choice for me would be the mechanical. I am not sorry about this, because I did not want to do this again. (Read my story in the old forum personal story section. There is more to this)

Can't be much help in the scar thing. On the forum we call it our "badge of honor".
Must admit I didn't like it either, but it beats the alternative, doesn't it?
I am glad they were able to "fix" me like my grandson says it!

Hope this helps you!

Christina

Welcome

Welcome

Hi Chris .. and welcome to our group.

Although 8 weeks sounds like a long time to be out of commission, it's really not (in the big scheme of things). I would encourage you to plan on a minimum of 8 weeks to give your body time to heal and to get your strength back. Sure, it gets a little boring from time to time... but you quickly figure out how to best spend your days... and how to keep getting stronger and stronger. Remember this -- after you get back to work (at 3 weeks or 8 weeks), you co-workers will very quickly forget what you've been thru, and will expect you to be at full steam. Some here have been out for 12 weeks, and I really would have liked the extra time. I'm 53 y/o and you're considerably younger... but never-the-less, it takes a while to heal.

Have you chosen your surgeon and valve-type yet? Hope you'll keep us posted as you progress. Please ask any questions that you can think of. Someone will most likely have a good answer.

Again, welcome to our group. :)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to VR.com. I had arotic valve replacment on 12-15-00 at the age of 49. Choose a homograph, only need to take a baby asperin a day.

The waiting is the worst. The surgery though no walk in the park is not so bad. As many have said walking is the best afterwards. Good to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Hi Chris - welcome and come sit awhile with us. You will learn so very much here because the site was designed by Hank just to help with information and support. It is amazing the care and heartfelt support there is just for you. Ask your questions and you'll get many, many of responses. God bless

Chris - Welcome to the site. I had one valve repaired and one replaced in Jan 2001. I had a hard time the first three days, but once you are up and walking, you feel just fine. I was out of work for seven weeks and enjoyed the time after some complications. I guess there are some activities you will have to avoid, but I think most are OK sometime after surgery.

Scar

Scar

Chris,
Welcome, I am fairly new here also. I was told I should have my aortic valve replace in early June and I go in tomorrow for the surgery. I'm a little nervous. Use this site, lot's of help here.
Keep us posted. God bless you.
Ward

Wecome Chris

Wecome Chris

Hi Chris,
I am sorry you now find yourself needing the surgery............But you have come to the right place to get prepared. Everyone is very willing to help out by answering as many questions as you can ask.

I have a question for you. I will probably need a double replacement also. Both valves leak and have some degree of stenosis, due to rheumatic fever.

I don't think there is anyone on the site who has recently had two valves replaced at the same time. I was wondering what options they have given you as far as what kind of valves you will receive.

Best of luck, I hear the wait is the most difficult part of the whole process.

fdeg

Hi!

My husband is scheduled for double valve surgery on October 4th. He is in congestive heart failure, and has atrial fibrillation. The surgeon has also said that he has a ballooning in his aorta where it exits the heart, and a that section will probbly have to be replaced. We are hoping for a cancellation, so that his surgery can ge done sooner. He is very fatigued, and has recently had to double his dose of lasix. He has trouble with breathing, particularly at night. We are trusting that this is in God's hands.

Wishing you well on your upcoming surgery and all that it entails.

Marybeth

By the way, he has decided on the St. Jude's valves, as he is 54 and really does not want to go through this again. Further, if his heart does not remodel, and he goes back into atrial fibrillation, he would have to be on coumaden anyway. So this appears to be the best choice...for him. Again, best wishes.-Marybeth

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the greatest bunch of heart buddies around.

Take as much time before and after surgery to just focus on it, if you can. It will all go very quickly.

I got a little stir crazy after a month post-surgery too, especially not being able to drive. But, my time filled up very easily and I got to do a lot of special things with my kids and grandson that it's hard to find time for normally.

I must admit that I cheated a bit on the driving thing; probably not a good idea but I got away with it!:D There are many good examples to follow on this site; don't follow miine!

Keep us posted. Good luck and Godspeed!

Back