Just Thought I Would Tell Yall.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrybaby666

I can't remember if I have told yall this, but I have found out that because of nerve damage due to both the removal of a tumor in my ear last year, and my long standing neuropathy from being diabetic for 15+ years, I am going deaf. I am waiting on 2 hearing aids that will actually communicate with each other to hopefully restore much of what I have lost.

I have to tell you that I have always thought that I could deal with the loss of my hearing, but I am finding out that it is a lot harder than I thought after being able to hear for the past 43 years.

I just wanted to let yall know what has happened and I admit that I am a bit scared about the future with hearing loss. :(:eek::eek::(:eek::eek:

I knew you had hearing loss, but didn't know it was getting progressively worse. Sorry to hear this Harry. I hope you are able to get the hearing aids you need and am offering prayers as you face this challenge.

Well my friend, I can always learn to sign. One thing I don't think I could handle is being blind. Hope that the aids will help.

Harry,

Sorry you have another challenge to face. Seems you have more than your share (and I share at least some of them with you). I know they are making advances in hearing aid technology, so hopefully you will get some help with that. Will be praying for you.

Sorry to read that Harry. I know you probably feel like you have more than your fair share of medical concerns. But keep up that sense of humor. Your comments here and on facebook always brighten my day. I hope they brighten yours too! You have my prayers dear HarryBaby.

Well I Will Tell Ya.....

Well I Will Tell Ya.....

Sorry to read that Harry. I know you probably feel like you have more than your fair share of medical concerns. But keep up that sense of humor. Your comments here and on facebook always brighten my day. I hope they brighten yours too! You have my prayers dear HarryBaby.

This Lil' Ole God Fearing Methodist is NOT going to go down without a fight...Besides, with the hearing aids that I believe I am getting, I can pipe my MP3 music from my Blackberry right into the hearing aids.....LOL....I will never have to wear headphones again...LOL...But seriously, I am trying to keep my sense of humor up, and thankfully, I have a childhood friend who has been deaf since birth and I know he will help me get through this...:D:cool::D

Well Ross, I already know the alphabet as far as signing...

Well Ross, I already know the alphabet as far as signing...

Well my friend, I can always learn to sign. One thing I don't think I could handle is being blind. Hope that the aids will help.

And as for hand gestures.....well, I know of at least one that is universal, although not widely accepted like visa...:D:D:eek::eek::D:D But I don't use that unless it's absolutely necessary...LOL:D:D

And as for hand gestures.....well, I know of at least one that is universal, although not widely accepted like visa...:D:D:eek::eek::D:D But I don't use that unless it's absolutely necessary...LOL:D:D

Pretty much anymore, you might as well fly it all the time and not worry about it! ;)

Sorry to read about the hearing loss, Harry. If it's any comfort, you're not alone. I am graudally losing ny hearing due to Meniere's Syndrome, a chronic vertigo-like disease of the inner ear that is not well understood. There is no cure. I am on my second set of hearing aids in about 10 years. The ones I have now are very strong and they help very much. Good luck woth your hearing aids. I hope they help.

Best wishes,

Jim

Don't You Know it there bro...LOL

Don't You Know it there bro...LOL

Pretty much anymore, you might as well fly it all the time and not worry about it! ;)

Sadly to say, I am finding more and more need for using it these days, whether it's the rude, nasty people of this dump...errr town I live in, or rotten drivers who cut me off and don't care....it's really getting nasty out there....LOL

If this keeps up, I am gonna have to move back to where I was hatched....LOL:mad::D:mad::D:D

My late Mom became suddenly deaf from nerve damage during renal failure at age 47.
It was very hard for her to deal with, but at least she became quite good at lip reading, and we all learned common courtesy around a deaf person. We would flash the lights when entering a room so as not to frighten her if she didn't see us. We made sure the closed captioning was always on the TV....etc.
My MIL is almost deaf, has 2 hearing aids, and does very well.
My BIL has Meniere's disease and is doing okay at age 49. (he loves loud music).
Harry, best wishes to you.

Harry I hope they come up with new medical procedures that will help you. I think I would be safe and start to to signing lessons now though. I wish you the best of luck.

I am going to see about taking a signing course...

I am going to see about taking a signing course...

As I don't know if this will eventually render me totally deaf, I think it would be better if I had a back up plan....I am going to look into it ASAP...They offer a course at the college I am at....thankfully....:eek:

Harry! I didnt know you were HOH. I am too!!! Im 46 and have nerve deafness. I fight so hard everyday for people to take me seriously and not act like I'm 5 years old when I say "huh" or "can you repeat that." I need hearing aids badly. I have had 3, one was junk, one was pretty much junk, and the third one helped a little then the battery door fell off! The frustration you and I deal with everyday will never be understood by the hearing public...never! Best wishes to you with the 2 new ones (wow) and your new IT career, Go get 'em Harry!!!

Thanks Colleen....I probably wouldn't have known about my hearing loss...

Thanks Colleen....I probably wouldn't have known about my hearing loss...

If I didn't suddenly lose most of my hearing. The day we buried my grandmother 2 years ago, I had just left the cemetery and, thankfully, my brother was driving when all of a sudden, my hearing just quit on me. As it turns out, mine is also from nerve damage due to my Diabetes. I have been waiting for 4 months for the hearing aids and I should have them either sometime this week or next. I am going crazy with having to ask people to repeat themselves, and then there are those, such as my school professors who are not willing to learn how to use some hearing equipment so that I can still learn.

I certainly hope that you can get a decent set for yourself soon as I know exactly what your going through, and you are right, it is very hard to get used to being HOH. Here's wishing you all the best on getting your hearing loss rectified. :D:D:D Harrybaby:D:D:D

Hi Harry,
Just saw this thread and thought I better reply. I have the same problem with hearing. I have a total hearing loss in my left ear due to nerve damage.
I was a teacher with special education for many years so I took sign lanuage and now how to sign. But the problem is other people don't know signing so I have forgot alot of it by not using it. I cannot use hearing aids because the nerve damage cannot be corrected. I have a continued ringing in that ear also and plus with the vocal cord issue I cannot teach any more. So I have been on disability since 2006. It's been hard to communicate with family members and friends I just try to do the best I can. I you think that hearing aids would help I would do it. Sorry about the long story but if I can help encourage you in any way to do what you have to do to get the hearing taken care of, I'm glad I told you what's going on with me. Hope that helps your decision making. :)
Crystal

If I didn't suddenly lose most of my hearing. The day we buried my grandmother 2 years ago, I had just left the cemetery and, thankfully, my brother was driving when all of a sudden, my hearing just quit on me. As it turns out, mine is also from nerve damage due to my Diabetes. I have been waiting for 4 months for the hearing aids and I should have them either sometime this week or next. I am going crazy with having to ask people to repeat themselves, and then there are those, such as my school professors who are not willing to learn how to use some hearing equipment so that I can still learn.

I certainly hope that you can get a decent set for yourself soon as I know exactly what your going through, and you are right, it is very hard to get used to being HOH. Here's wishing you all the best on getting your hearing loss rectified. :D:D:D Harrybaby:D:D:D

I do believe the ADA would have the professors use the adaptive equipment to accomodate your hearing! Please check on that. Do not miss out on your education, they must comply with the ADA. Best of luck to you Harry.

Thanks...

Thanks...

I only have 3 more classes before the summer session is over and I move on to another professor or 4..LOL....I mentioned the uncooperative professor to Disabilities services, so they are aware of his lack of cooperation. Crystal, most of my hearing loss is also nerve damage although they are telling me I have a "mixed" hearing loss, meaning conductive, that possibly can be fixed and permanent which cannot.....nothing like getting the worst of both worlds huh? LOL Thanks for your encouraging words.....:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back