Just Set a Date for Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteinBizzle

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hola! I've been lurking for a while, figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 51yo man, 6' (1.8m) @225 pounds with a history of mild, nuisance issues. I was diagnosed in the 90's with Sinus Bradycardia & AV Nodal Re-Entrant Tachycardia (bpm is normally around 45-55 with the occasional spike to ~210-220 for roughly 10-15 seconds). It's a nuisance but totally manageable. Fast-forward 20 years to when I had a series of dizzy spells and my girlfriend (at the time) just happened to be a nurse in a cardiology clinic who recommended that I see a doc there, where I was ultimately diagnosed with a TAA at 4.9cm (circa 2012). Needless to say, I was still fully able to run in dozens of 5k & 10k's over the last decade up until 2020.

The TAA has only grown 2mm in the last 9 years to 5.1cm...but now the dang root is huge and blowing my aortic-valve out of shape. I have a tri-cuspid aortic valve but one of the cusps appears to be damaged. Regurgitation is severe, causing cardiomegaly but the regurgitation is re-entering at a weird angle that is blowing sideways across and through my mitral valve. I became symptomatic in 2020, getting winded pretty easily, having trouble tying my shoes, pains and aches (all of the usual early signs). My Cardiologist did all of the tests/imaging then sent me to meet with a surgeon at Stanford and another in San Diego who both gave the same advice of replacing the aorta and the aortic valve. Date is set for June 2nd (2 weeks from today). Also, I put that cardiac girlfriend on lockdown and made her my wife. Now I'm looking forward to beating her in a 5k, which I have never been able to do.

Hello, welcome,

I hope all goes well for you, SteinBizzle, and that you are happy, healthy and at peace after the surgery.

(I should’ve married a cardiology nurse... dang it...)

Hola! I've been lurking for a while, figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 51yo man, 6' (1.8m) @225 pounds with a history of mild, nuisance issues. I was diagnosed in the 90's with Sinus Bradycardia & AV Nodal Re-Entrant Tachycardia (bpm is normally around 45-55 with the occasional spike to ~210-220 for roughly 10-15 seconds). It's a nuisance but totally manageable. Fast-forward 20 years to when I had a series of dizzy spells and my girlfriend (at the time) just happened to be a nurse in a cardiology clinic who recommended that I see a doc there, where I was ultimately diagnosed with a TAA at 4.9cm (circa 2012). Needless to say, I was still fully able to run in dozens of 5k & 10k's over the last decade up until 2020.

The TAA has only grown 2mm in the last 9 years to 5.1cm...but now the dang root is huge and blowing my aortic-valve out of shape. I have a tri-cuspid aortic valve but one of the cusps appears to be damaged. Regurgitation is severe, causing cardiomegaly but the regurgitation is re-entering at a weird angle that is blowing sideways across and through my mitral valve. I became symptomatic in 2020, getting winded pretty easily, having trouble tying my shoes, pains and aches (all of the usual early signs). My Cardiologist did all of the tests/imaging then sent me to meet with a surgeon at Stanford and another in San Diego who both gave the same advice of replacing the aorta and the aortic valve. Date is set for June 2nd (2 weeks from today). Also, I put that cardiac girlfriend on lockdown and made her my wife. Now I'm looking forward to beating her in a 5k, which I have never been able to do.
Welcome SteinBizzle!
With replacement of your aorta and aortic valve, you'll be having the same procedure that I had 9 weeks ago, called a Bentall.
I had a couple of consultation with cardiologist Dr. James Gray at Scripps. I asked him who he would want to operate on him if he had to get valve surgery himself. He said, without a doubt, Dr. Jeffrey Tyner. All whom I have spoken to say great things about Dr. Tyner - you are in excellent hands!
Best of luck with your surgery and please keep us posted.

Hi and welcome aboard
I'm a 51yo man, 6' (1.8m) @225 pounds with a history of mild, nuisance issues.
The TAA has only grown 2mm in the last 9 years to 5.1cm...but now the dang root is huge and blowing my aortic-valve out of shape. I have a tri-cuspid aortic valve but one of the cusps appears to be damaged.
Date is set for June 2nd (2 weeks from today). Also, I put that cardiac girlfriend on lockdown and made her my wife. Now I'm looking forward to beating her in a 5k, which I have never been able to do.

and congratulations on the last part ...

Best Wishes for your surgery and for an uneventful recovery

:D

Welcome to the forum, you will find it so helpful, as I have done.
Great that you have a date, that's the first big hurdle over with.
Best of luck for the surgery and recovery, hope it all goes smoothly.

Latest posts

Back