Joeys second OHS after 17 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all,
I haven’t been on much at all but I do lurk every so often-
My husband Joey had a ross procedure done by Dr Paul Stelzer 17 years ago
His aortic valve is now leaking again as is his mitralvalve
He is scheduled for an AVR and mitral repair ( Dr Stelzer again) morning jan 14
Any ideas or suggestions or info on second OHS would be appreciated
Thanks again

Nice to see you back on, but sorry to hear Joey is undergoing another surgery. I don' have any experience second time around, but wanted to wish him all the very best for a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Hopefully, others with second time experience will chime in.
Thinking of you all!

Hi

sylviayasgur;n886138 said:
Hi all,

basically to you the patient the 2nd is pretty much like the first. You'll have a slight increase in the exact risk sets you had in the first. My own experience of recovery from my 2nd is long ago now (it was late in 1992) but my third (an AVR with an aneurysm repair) was more recent 2011 (although that is stretching back a few years now too). I recovered fine and followed strictly directions on keeping my sternum safe and not lifting things nor driving until 8 weeks. I walked a lot, and had an initially quite elevated HR (often 100 resting).

All things eventually returned to normal and I was out cross country skiing on the lake and in the forests in time.

For the surgeon the task is actually a lot harder, due to the scar tissue development caused by the first operation, however with modern "Medical Imaging" they are able to undertake much better planning (like where X , Y or Z is buried in there under that mass) and this has significantly reduced the risks of the redo-operations over the years.

Best Wishes

sylviayasgur;n886143 said:
Thank you... your support is invaluable!

Your welcome

In difficult times I turn to the Stoics for inspiration, for indeed they were the founders of what would become the Church of Rome and had many great thinkers and philosophers.

"We are more often frightened than hurt; we suffer more from imagination than from reality.” Seneca

Be calm and peace will find you.

Best Wishes

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/fr\/cp0\/e15\/q65\/49415734_10156951000657498_194492023426777088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=42741da3269d421ce2d51c784db38778&oe=5CC7E801"}[/IMG2]

Sylvia! Long time, no see! (Well, the last time I actually "saw" you and Joey was at the VR Reunion in Chicago in 2003, but you know. . . )

I'm saddened to hear that Joey has to go back "over the mountain" but he will be in good hands - yours and his doctors. He was such an inspiration to me as I was beginning to think of the AVR that was in my future. When we met in 2003, I had only known for about a year that I would eventually need AVR. I finally had the surgery 8 years later, and I'm still clunking around here.

I'm not sure how many surgery "repeaters" we have active now, but pellicle has near-photographic memory and the best access to all the published research on the related topics.

You're always welcome here. After all, you're family.

Happy New Year eps
epstns;n886186 said:
I'm not sure how many surgery "repeaters" we have active now, but pellicle has near-photographic memory and the best access to all the published research on the related topics.

thanks for the kind words, however I no longer work at the Uni so my access to full text on journals is equal to the ordinary folks. However, pro tip: if you find a journal article you want, and you can only read the abstract (but want the full text) toddle down to the local library with the ISBN and you'll probably be able to get access to it.

sylviayasgur;n886138 said:
Hi all,
I haven’t been on much at all but I do lurk every so often-
My husband Joey had a ross procedure done by Dr Paul Stelzer 17 years ago
Thanks again

Had ross as well over twenty years ago, lasted until 53 or so weeks ago when AA decided it wanted attention as well. i'll echo what pellicle noted. 2nd time sucks, but better than the alternative. I think 2nd is more challenging than first, as body is older, and maybe not as willing to heal as when younger, and the mind knows the BS that one has been through once, and not so desirous of repeats. If he can, get sternal plates instead of wire closure. Coughing & sneezing are negligible concerns with plates. Warfarin concerns by medical community seem overstated. largely a matter of becoming comfortable with it, perhaps similar to ladies with BC pills?

if anything specific, send a PM.

good luck!

surgery behind us... joey opted to stop narcotic pain meds after 2 days because he has bad reaction to them. lots of Tylenol and Torydol for few days; now just tylenol. 10 days post surgery and he seems even stronger than the first time. sleeping is still difficult, but walking around, up and down stairs, appetite returning... so far so good. fingers crossed for continued smooth recovery.
of course, the waiting was probably one of the worst parts.

surgery behind us... joey opted to stop narcotic pain meds after 2 days because he has bad reaction to them. lots of Tylenol and Torydol for few days; now just tylenol. 10 days post surgery and he seems even stronger than the first time. sleeping is still difficult, but walking around, up and down stairs, appetite returning... so far so good. fingers crossed for continued smooth recovery.
of course, the waiting was probably one of the worst parts. more later....

Was wondering how things were! Great news! I am sure you are both glad it is now in the rearview mirror. May he continue to get stronger and have a smooth recovery. Best wishes

Latest posts

Back