Joe-Interesting pre-surgery stuff

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Joe had his PATs. The anesthesiologist told us twice that it was going to be a LONG surgery. So I guess I'm looking at 10-12 hours.

Two years ago, Joe had to go to the hospital several days ahead of surgery to get on Heparin but now the situation has improved. He is getting Lovenox injections at home given by the Visiting Nurse's Association. They come twice a day 12 hours apart. In addition to the injections, they have kept very careful records on his CHF. They take his vitals, listen to his heart and lung sounds, measure his ankles and stomach area for fluid buildup and keep track of his weight. When he had a 5 pound weight gain in 3 days, increased girth, and minimized lung sounds, the nurse was on the phone pronto with the doctor and got him a prescription for 5 mg. of Zaroxolyn right away to be taken every other day until surgery(double the last dosage he had). This is in addition to his Lasix. He lost 6 pounds in 12 hours.

They will also draw fasting bloodwork the day before surgery, because of the Zaroxolyn.

So far, I'm very impressed and Joe is glad to be home listening to my dulcid sounds, or Irish sarcasm, whichever I happen to feel like at the time.

For those of you who don't know he's going in for his third valve replacement on July 18.

Last edited:
Nancy and Joe

Nancy and Joe

We will be thinking of you and sending our prayers for both of you on the 18th. God be with you.

Still thinking of you. Give Joe our best!

The Lovenox is wonderful. Have used it many times when having to come off the Coumadin.

Always have some on hand for unforeseen emergencies. Last week I used one when my INR dropped off to almost nothing. It's more of a physiological security blanket. It is really easy to use (you could administer to him too). Best absorbed in the belly.

Best wishes on the 18th. Will be looking forward to hearing the good news on the other side.

Take care.

Nancy - My husband has had three major operations, so I've experienced both sides, now that I've had my AVR - Being the patient, and being the one who does all the organising, worrying and waiting. For me, the last one was much the worst. I hope the Irish sarcasm relieves a bit of the stress!

Thank goodness you have had this site (I had nothing like it). I shall be thinking of you and wishing you both well. Here's to a healthier future.

Please extend all my best

Please extend all my best

Nancy, all the best to Joe and yourself and your family this week.

Please update us when you get time over the next week or so. I'll be thinking of you.
Kev

Joe and Nancy

Wednesday will be a long day for Joe and for you. Our thoughts will be with you both this week. Best Wishes.
Dianne

Thinking of you

Thinking of you

Nancy and Joe,

Know that you both will be in my thoughts and prayers on the 18th.

Godspeed,

Kristy W

Nancy and Joe

Nancy and Joe

I will be praying for you both on the 18th. Good Luck and Godspeed to Joe.

You and Joe are in our prayers. You're veterans of this process and so there's not much we can say or do to help more than you can already do for yourselves, but at least we care. Please keep us posted and Godspeed.

Best of Luck

Best of Luck

Everyone will be thinking of you both and hope everything goes ok. Joe should be a new man after the surgery. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back