Job dilemma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue943

As I mentioned in Barbara's thread three weeks ago, I applied for a job. My current situation is that I tried temping in an office doing work that I was unfamiliar with and after just over two weeks I had a 'funny turn' and left at 2pm, never to return. I have been off with 'nervous illness' since that time, three and a half months ago. Apart from those few weeks, I haven't worked since March 2005. I am only sixteen months off the earliest retirement age for collecting my statutory pension and the idea of trying to train for work which I have never tried, nor have any interest, is so stressful.

This post that I applied for does have its drawbacks. It was advertised as being for relief staff to be in a pool, this would be rather like bank nurses or supply teachers, no guaranteed hours. There had been 40 applications for up to 8 posts. Having had my first job interview in more than 40 years, I discovered that it could actually put me in a negative income situation - to do with our local social security scheme. I told them that I was interested, but not in actually paying to work! I was told to phone back today to tell them if I was interested in the job or not.

I phoned this morning and said that I was really interested but was sorry but I cannot have a negative income from working. They are now trying to work out something to enable me to take the job, perhaps as maternity cover for someone. I want to say yes but it is scarey, I really think I ought to start part time, and told them so.

They are going to phone me tomorrow once they have a firm proposal to make to me. It will then be a case of speaking to my doctor to tell him that I want to work, and asking social security to cover my contribution credits while my references are taken up and I have a medical.

Yes, a medical. I am not too worried about the medical as it will be by doctor/s employed by the government, probably in the social security department. I will obviously declare my diabetes, underactive thyroid, tendency to form kidney stones, my stroke, endocarditis, double valve replacement and complete heart block. :) If they declare me unfit to work then I will just have to go back on invalidity payments! It is a no lose situation, if they say that I am unfit to be employed by the government then I will be unfit for employment anywhere.

So it now just a case of waiting until tomorrow to see what offers they are prepared to make me to enable me to accept the job. Then, assuming it all goes well, settling into this new post, one which does interest me and one that I feel that I can do with ease. They really want me which is exciting, and so reassuring as I was feeling useless having been made redundant.

The job will be mentally stimulating and they say stressful, but my old job was stressful to many but I didn't find it so, my personal life is far more stressful. It means sitting down and dealing with the public, nothing physical.

As they say, watch this space.

No lose situations are wonderful, and so rare! Sounds like just the thing for you, Sue. Best of luck.

Job dilemma

Sue,

What a nice predicament! Do keep us up to date on what happens. I am going to apply for an occasional temp job with an investment firm, but I'm even nervous about that. Work does help us feel useful and in touch.

Good luck,
Barbara

Sue..
Hope for the best outcome for you! Sometimes just getting out seems so nice..I am looking forward to that day myself..however..I have some anxiety to work through as well.

Subject to me passing a medical, and my own doctor saying that I am fit to work, they will be making me an offer this coming week to work four hours each day initially. This is perfect, it give me chance to get used to working again without getting exhausted. I am delighted.

Latest posts

Back