I've shied away, but I owe you all at least this much

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
For those who remember my struggle with valve choice, any everything else pre-op, thank you for all your replies. In a nutshell, I had the huge aneurysm in my proximal arch repaired and aortic valve replaced by Dr. Vincent Gaudiani on 11/5/2013 at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, where I live. There were no complications at all, including no leaks. I'm just over 7 weeks post-op and feel pretty good. My heart rate can still be 90bmp at rest at times, and fatigue comes on much easier than normal still. But over all, its a world of difference from my first week home.

Why have I shied away? Well, I think it was much more stressful than helpful for me to consult disembodied voices on the Internet. Most of it was me, though there are some voices here that were difficult for me. A few days pre-op I just logged off VR.org. It was a good decision for me, and that is in no way a comment about VR.org or all of you. I'd recommend coming here for anyone facing VR, especially when done via OHS.

Other than learning how small so many things are in life which I previously took as big and important, I've learned just how completely unfair the VR choice is for someone in their 40s. At 44 I was just on the rotten cusp of what made sense in either direction, tissue or mechanical. Nothing medical or anecdotal or statistical could really convince me either way. I know most of you would agree with that. Anyone reading this who's still pre-op, believe me that in your 40's, baring specific medical needs, this is 100% a matter of personal preference, nothing more. At any rate, my simple life in this busy town with my family is so packed already, I just wanted things for now to go back to normal as they possible could. All other things being equal, the tissue valve has afforded me that opportunity. Thank you again for all of your input.

I think part of things going back to normal for me is not spending as much time on VR.org as I did pre-op. I know this is common for tissue recipients and that VR.org has a much higher retention of MHV recipients since you folks deal with your VR in a much more consistently conscious manner. The reality is, I wouldn't be much help with that any how. However, my VR.org mailbox will continue to trigger my regular e-mail should anyone have any comments or questions for me. I will also do period checks for folks who unfortunately enter the position I was in try to advise and comfort them the best I can... I do want to give something back.

Thank you all for the part you've played in this very important period in my life,

jyg

Heya jyg, glad to hear that your operation went well! And that you got what you needed from vr.org AND knew when you needed to back away. Ultimately the goal for all of us is to be able to get back to our old lives - or IMPROVED lives - post-op, so congrats on doing that and may your tissue valve last for a looooong time!

Thank you ski girl. My surgeon seems pretty chipper about the prospects of longevity for the newer generation tissue valves. (I received a St. Jude Epic.) And yes, improved for for sure. I highly recommend OHS if you're looking to lose 10-15 lbs ;)

Hi - Glad you are happy with your decision and hope you continue to have a successful recovery! You are right - it is a very personal choice re: the valve type, as everyone here will attest to. However, you said:

Other than learning how small so many things are in life which I previously took as big and important, I've learned just how completely unfair the VR choice is for someone in their 40s.

I would suggest that the valve decision might be "difficult" for someone in their 40's (or in their 50's, or at an earlier age for that matter...), but its certainly not "unfair". Life throws everyone different curve balls, and unfortunately we've all been given various forms of heart valve replacement to deal with. These things happen - but life could be WAY worse...

;)jyg
At 44 I was just on the rotten cusp of what made sense in either direction, tissue or mechanical.
This is a common dilemma. I have done a tissue valve twice in my 40's and I still hang around VR. The second VR wasn't from valve failure.
Ski girl well said
Ultimately the goal for all of us is to be able to get back to our old lives - or IMPROVED lives - post-op
Jyg I found my last surgery's 5 day hospital stay the best diet I have ever been on 5kg in 5 days, I have never achieved this before :D.

Great to hear from you on the 'new and improved" other side! I completely understand that 'valve choice' in our 40's is a difficult one. I had to make that decision too (in this age group). However, I recall many people grappling with their choice from 'all age' categories for various reasons. It was a difficult one for me too; However, it is great to be alive!

Wishing you all the very best! So glad that life is 'back to normal'.
P.S. I do stick around as it is always good to have 'both' valvers here to share their experiences.

Last edited:
I created this forum so it would be an option for those who could use it. When I had my surgery in 1989, I wasn't given any choices and there was nowhere to go online to ask for advice.

So while recovering, I started this amazing place and now we have the pleasure of deciding when we have posted too much or too little.

Thank you so much for using this resource when you thought you needed it.

Many wishes of health prosperity on with your new valve.

And thank you all so much for taking time out of your busy lives to contribute in little ways to this resource which benefits so many in their times of need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back