I've done my own research ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
I came across this on Facebook last night, I thought it was so poignant and topical that I wanted to capture it.
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2021/07/done-my-research.html
as do all facebook posts which hope to gather attention it had this image as the attractor:
1626646597443.png

But I copied the entirety of it into my blog post liked above

It resonated with the content and direction of a recent post here of mine giving, what I feel is, a good example of properly dissected a paper as Linda Gamble Spadaro suggested where she wrote:

Did you at least take each article one by one and look into the source (that would be the author, publisher and funder), then critique the writing for logical fallacies, cognitive distortions and plain inaccuracies?

So, as I keep saying, try to properly inform yourself ... not that it matters to me, it only should matter to you what happens to you. Note the use of informed in the Surgical Guidelines
12220655884_58760fc0cd_o.jpg

Unlike choosing a new household appliance this is a decision which has great magnitude for you and your personal health.

Last edited:
The post by Linda Gamble Spadaro was excellent! She does a very good job of explaining how folks who believe that they're doing research are most often doing no such thing.

This isn’t new with the internet. Dates back to new hunting methods proposed to the clan, only to have them shot down because that’s not the way of our tribe.

I haven’t been able to find the old Steve Martin bit from SNL where he’s a caveman suggesting this very thing. Later he is bludgeoned do death in his sleep. “Now Lor strongest AND smartest!” (Might have been Kevin Neeland?)

Can’t find the caveman one, but here’s the same premise:

Medieval medicine. 😂

Last edited:
I believe that this thread needs a freshen in the face of new evidence as Cloudflare has posted new information on the research habits of the General Public

1641420121300.png

in light of this the well known statement needs updating

1641420168824.png

The world is always changing, so best keep up with the changes I say.

If scientific information isn't presented with upbeat music and snazzy dancing then clearly the research is half-assed bull-crud.
Or a celebrity who has only my best interests at heart.

Indeed.

I believe that you linked the article to suggest that she is promoting non-evidence based medicine. I noticed that the author is a Functional Medicine Practitioner. Many do not realize that this certification does not require an MD and if you are dealing with someone who advertises themselves as a functional medicine practitioner, or as IFM certified, (Institute of functional medicine) that you are probably not dealing with a physician, but rather, someone who has a certificate.

A friend of mine, who is a physician, worked for a few years at a functional medicine clinic. She indicated that the diagnosis was virtually always "leaky gut", regardless of the symptoms. But, don't worry, they have some very expensive treatments to help this condition.

From the GI Society:

Debunking the Myth of ‘Leaky Gut Syndrome’

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/leaky-gut-syndrome/
There are certainly a lot of scams out there.

I’ve taken a lot of kids to “real” doctors working urgent care whose go to diagnosis was, “ear infection”. Crying kid. Fever. Ear infection. Give them antibiotics and make them go away.

My kids weren’t even complaining about their ears. It got to be a running joke around here.

Doctors are just people too. They went to school for a long time, but they have just as many character challenges as the rest of us. Plus high case loads and long hours. The pedestal some people put them on is silly to me.

Latest posts

Back