I've crossed the line into severe and need to make a decision

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Chuck C

I went off Metoprolol for just a day, and my nice low 50s heart rate jumped up to 115 at rest this morning.
It sounds like it is probably still needed in your situation. All seem to indicate that pulse comes down over time, following OHS/valve surgery. Some have indicated that it takes a year or so to normalize. So, give it time and hopefully it will come down.

I did the mountain again yesterday, third time in 6 days. Resting pulse this morning was 61. I'm not sure what to make of it, except that it seems that the morning after I do the mountain, my morning pulse is low, and getting lower each climb. Yet, when I don't climb the mountain, the next morning my pulse is back to 78-84 in the morning. Also, once I have started moving about for the day, it goes up and seems to mostly stay up. It's 84 right now.

Unicusp

Interesting....

I went off Metoprolol for just a day, and my nice low 50s heart rate jumped up to 115 at rest this morning. The out-of-breath feeling I hadn’t really felt since before surgery was back! Only without exertion! It scared me into taking a pill... Maybe I’ll try again next month.....
Hello. Are you on any other BP meds? If not, that's understandable. There are other options with less side effects. Worth exploring. Some people have no issues with Metoprolol, whereas others it can be pretty bad. Feel better!

Chuck C

Whoa, climbing a mountain? Did I tell you that given your shape this recovery would be mind-blowingly crazy? FWIW, I'm on 25mg of Metoprolol and probably will be forever - just to help keep my BP in check. I seem to tolerate it well. Then again, I've been on bp meds, including beta blockers, for so many years that I have no idea what normal is. 🤪 But in general I have energy and feel great. Not climbing any mountains, however! I'm also about 20+ years older than you are! 😱 Congrats on the progress.
Thanks Herb!
Mt. Monserate is close to you- North County San Diego- Fallbrook. You should check it out some time. It is actually a World Trade Center memorial, as the elevation gain in climbing the mountain is about the same as the gain if you climbed to the top floor of the WTC- The WTC had 110 floors and Mt Monserate would be about 120. Every time you climb the equivalent of 10 floors they have a pole marker indicating your current level. 10th floor, 20th..ect. When you get to the 110th floor marker, you just have one more climb to go, but the mountain saves the best for last, at the final climb is the steepest, lol. So, the nice thing is it gives you an incremental measure of progress and also allows you to set goals short of the top- and the views are great all allow the way up.

"I'm also about 20+ years older than you are! "
Age is no excuse! lol! One of my best buddies is 67 and I bumped into him yesterday as I was on my way down and he was on his way up. Like me, he is hooked on climbing it often. He is getting double knee replacement surgery in July and his goal is to push as hard as he can before then to go into surgery in top physical shape. The downhill takes its toll on his knees, but he's sacrificing them now and just trying to deal with the pain, as they are getting replaced anyway.

bizinsider

Thanks Herb!
Mt. Monserate is close to you- North County San Diego- Fallbrook. You should check it out some time. It is actually a World Trade Center memorial, as the elevation gain in climbing the mountain is about the same as the gain if you climbed to the top floor of the WTC- The WTC had 110 floors and Mt Monserate would be about 120. Every time you climb the equivalent of 10 floors they have a pole marker indicating your current level. 10th floor, 20th..ect. When you get to the 110th floor marker, you just have one more climb to go, but the mountain saves the best for last, at the final climb is the steepest, lol. So, the nice thing is it gives you an incremental measure of progress and also allows you to set goals short of the top- and the views are great all allow the way up.

"I'm also about 20+ years older than you are! "
Age is no excuse! lol! One of my best buddies is 67 and I bumped into him yesterday as I was on my way down and he was on his way up. Like me, he is hooked on climbing it often. He is getting double knee replacement surgery in July and his goal is to push as hard as he can before then to go into surgery in top physical shape. The downhill takes its toll on his knees, but he's sacrificing them now and just trying to deal with the pain, as they are getting replaced anyway.
So tempting, Chuck. But... there's the issue of my wife, who I do believe would say, "Over my dead body." 🤣

Dodger Fan

1622745948706.png

For comparison, here's where I was 9 weeks out. I was not in great shape. This was supposed to be a run. Ignore the BPM data. This was around the time that I learned my Garmin chest strap and my pacemaker were not friends.

Chuck C

View attachment 887836

For comparison, here's where I was 9 weeks out. I was not in great shape. This was supposed to be a run. Ignore the BPM data. This was around the time that I learned my Garmin chest strap and my pacemaker were not friends.
That's not bad for being 9 weeks out. Brisk walking is 18 minutes/mile and you were clearly moving quicker than that.
I have not timed myself on a run in ages. Perhaps I will do so soon.

Reactions: Amy