Its Time for Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGold

I was diagnosed with AS -BAV about 5 years ago and fortunate to be nosing around this site for the last two. Had a TEE last Friday, CATH yesterday and doc says its time. Now I need pick a surgeon and decide what type of valve. I’ll be 57 in April and very active so I prefer a bioprosthetic vs mechanical. I can’t believe I’m saying this but my avr seems straight forward meaning I don’t have any other issues that may complicate the procedure, I have done some research and feel confident I can find a local surgeon (orlando florida) without trucking to CC or other renown facilities. That said if anybody has any insight on Orlando surgeons it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to thank everybody that contributes on this site. I have learned so much and feel it has better prepared me to move forward. Thanks again.

Can't help you with Orlando surgeons, but I also had AS-BAV with surgery earlier at age 46.
Welcome to the group !
There is a wealth of information and experience to benefit from here. You are lucky to find us.

I too can not help with Orlando surgeons. But, I will turn 57 less than a month post surgery so I feel like I should comment here. As for valve choice that is very personal. Neither choice is perfect. I began thinking tissue but ,I am going with a mechanical valve. Either will preserve and improve your life. You need to way the positive and negative aspects of each choice. Make your decision and feel good about it! I too have no under-lying health conditions. I can relate what worked for me. Shock & denial and sleepness nights got me nowhere. Being blessed with a great family doctor who discovered an abnormal EKG, which ultimately lead me to a great cardilogist and world-class surgeon were truely gifts. My key to acceptance and making my choices was learning as much as I could about my condition and my surgeon. I was lucky that what I felt was best for me, my surgeon does all the time. I describe it as a virtuoso guitar player playing guitar behind his back. Dr. Bavaria and Penn do many of these procedures a week. Piece of cake for them. I am in good hands. I am sure you will be too. Do your homework and get the best care possible. Many on this site speak of a wave of peace that came over them the day of surgery. I pray that as your day and everyone on this site's surgical dates approach they too will feel a sense of peace and trust come over them! As patients we fall asleep and wake up fixed. :thumbup:

I can't help with Orlando surgeons either, but you may not be locked out from the "top" facilities. IIRC, Cleveland Clinic has a facility in South Florida, so you may be able to find that world-renowned care closer to home than you think.

The choice of valve is a very personal choice. I was diagnosed when I was about 54. I didn't need surgery until age 63, but I had the "what-if" discussion with two trusted cardiologists over the years. When I was still in my 50's, I agreed with my cardio that should I need surgery then, I would choose the mechanical - probably the St. Jude valve that was in use at that time. Once I passed age 60, things began to change. Ultimately, at age 63, I chose tissue. By that time (2011) Cleveland Clinic was implanting tissue valves in the majority of their patients who were in their mid to late 50's and older. They felt that the newest generation of tissue valves would serve these patients well. Since my surgeon came to Chicago from Cleveland Clinic, we chose the tissue valve. So far, I'm totally pleased with it, but as I said, it is an intensely personal choice. I'd advise you to learn all that you can, discuss it with your cardio and surgeon, then make a decision. Don't try to decide on your own - there is too much to consider.

Back