It's All Your Fault....so Thanks!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AIDAMENSCHEL

GREETINGS: HI! This is a message from Aida's husband of 54 years of married bliss <grin>.

Thanks to all the encouragement that Aida received from so many of you on this Forum, she finally decided to forget her fear of the unknown and "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead", she opted for the operation....and on the 19th of Dec., she actually passed out as we were about to go for an appointment in town.

I rushed her to Kaiser at Zion in San Diego, CA and immediately they had her in the Emergency room.....and better care, you cannot buy, believe me. After a couple of days at the Kaiser Hospital, they transferred Aida to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, CA.

Once they got her bladder infection under control, the operation went as scheduled....and after a double-bypass and an AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT, she was in the ICU room for a day....but her recovery started almost at once...and just one day later she was up in a private room under great care and supervision, around the clock.

Steadily she was on the mend and today, Aida was transferred to Scripps Torrey Pines Convalescent & Therapy Center in La Jolla. CA.

Everything went along much better than we ever expected and in a week, she very likely will be home, and waiting on me, hand and foot....Oh, Yeh? <G>. Very likely we will have an In-Home care person come daily for a while and our daughter will also help out several days per week, until she is back on her feet, completely.

Since I suffer from a greatly deteriorated Hip and Spinal Stenosis, and recently cured (?), from Prostate, via Radiation I now get around on a motorized scooter....The greatest thing since sliced bread, as they say.....Aida has a wheelchair and a walker, but when she comes home, I will give her my scooter to to her shopping, once she is able, and I will use the walker. <grin>...Boy, as I write this, I say to myself, I am not too bad a husband, after all these years....But, don't tell Aida I said it!

Sorry we don't have a Laptop otherwise she would pick up the thread and start banging out her situation in more, 'down to earth words'......but in another week she should be back here at the computer and she loves the friedship she has made here.

So, thanks to you all, for now that it is just about over with, she is almost back to normal....and our entire family, across the country is so thankful that she went ahead on your say-so.

BTW, For Aida's benefit, I printed out ALL the messages on this forum since her last message here.....she will be reading them all in the morning. THANKS, AGAIN!!!

MITCH MENSCHEL/WEBMASTER

Great to hear Aida is doing so well. You have already found that this is a wonderful place to interact. "True Blessings".

Here's to a speedy recovery to you both! I know first hand how trying multiple illnesses between a couple can wear you down.

Look forward and don't look back! Things will get better.
Let us hear from you soon

Last edited:
I enjoyed your post, oh master of the web! Great news - you deserve it after going through what must have been a really scary time. Here's wishing you both a very happy and healthy 2002.

Awesome!

Awesome!

That is great news Mitch! Tell your wife we welcome her to the other side and are here to help with anything we can.

By the way - what web are you the master of?

What a story, Mitch. Ya'll met that little glitch in the road and went right over it. So glad things are looking up for both of you. Aida, you have your own personal miracle and can now look forward to a healthier lifestyle. Don't use Mitch's scooter too much as you really need to walk and exercise as much as you can. You two have a really great love story. Bless you and God bless

Congratulations Aida!

Congratulations Aida!

Dear Aida-

In this instance, I don't mind saying "we told you so". You've done superbly well, that's wonderful, wonderful news. Continued steady recovery.

Mitch, you're a rare "gem" to let us all know how well Aida did.

Happy New Year to you both.

Here I am, back again

Here I am, back again

Well here I am back again under my own steam. I am so happy Mitch kept you updated for I feel you all are the reason that I am back again. Yes, Julie, I really was scared to go through this at the age of 77 but the confidence I got from all these wonderful people helped me to make the right decision.

It is now three weeks and two days from surgery and I am home walking and excersizing. Yes, I still become tired but really no problems.

Maxximom, I definitely will keep up with you helping those who face AVR and bypass. I did not expect the bypass since the doctor who did the angiogram said all was clear but my surgeon explained after it was all over that the arteries had a calcium buildup and, as long as he was there, he might as well take care of it. Of course, I was glad he did take care of it. I really would not want to go through this again but I really don't think it made much difference in the actual surgery except for the scars on both legs. It seems there was a problem finding good arteries to use for replacement. I can only say they are healing nicely and really cause as little pain as the actual surgery which is almost nil. Of course, I will not be wearing a bikini again but come to think of it I never did.

Thankfully, my surgeon was able to use a porcine valve instead of the mechanical valve I was so afraid of. I am on coumadine now and having a slight problem getting it adjusted but hopefully it will only be for a few weeks. Luckily my HMO sends a mobile lab to the house.

I was surprised that the surgeon and cardiologist had never heard of this Forum and recommended that they suggest it to patients.

Thank you again for all your support and I will be back.

Aida

glad you're home

glad you're home

Hi Aida:)
I'm so glad that you are home again..there's nothing like your own bed!!It sounds like you are doing very well..and believe me..it only gets better.I understand about the bypass..who needs to go through all this again..once they've opened your chest..I don't believe it makes much difference if they only do a valve or a double or triple bypass..its pretty much all the same. When I had my surgery..they used the internal mamary artery for one bypass and they were able to do minimumly invasive surgery to harvest the other veins from my theigh for the other 2 bypasses..so I only had a really small scar on my left leg sorat behind my knee. The Bikini is definitky out for me too..LOL!! My surgeon was really great though he started my insision between my breasts and down about 5"..not up towards my neck..so now I can wear low cut necklines..If I should want to...Hey when you are only 70..you still shouild have choices..right?
Keep in touch and keep on walking..you will get stronger every day
Joan

So good to see your voice, Aida. Sounds like you are comin right along. Your fine husband has posted us with such interesting information as to your surgery and recovery. As to leg scars, I had bypass and am scarred from ankle up into groin in rt leg. Surgery was 3/00. I can barely see the scars anymore so take heart. I wouldn't wear a bikini either (even back all those years when I was skinny) - but these days, I'd maybe give someone a heart attack!!! LOL

Air bags

Air bags

Hi: I've been a busy old lady the last few days. Yesterday I went to a cardiac class at my HMO and learned something I thought might be interesting to all. We were advised that heart repair patients should not sit in the passenger seat of a car if it has air bags. Seems plausible so I thought I'd pass it on.

Today I had an appointment with my primary doctor who found that all is very well as shown in the tests done last week. After that I splurged and spent my entire exercise time shopping in a supermarket with my daughter. It seems so long since I did that but when I got home it was straight on to my recliner chair for a long nap. You never know how tired you are until you relax. But when I got up it felt good to know that I could do it.

It's amazing that I could do this three weeks after surgery.

Keep looking at the rosy side of life. Now that it's over I can say that but you all know how scared I was before.

Aida

Happy shopping!

Happy shopping!

Aida, happy shopping!
Sending lots of love for a good recovery from London....
Deb swallow-Adler

Hi Deb and Sylvia:

Thank you so much for all your good words. Yes, I will try not to overdue but it was so good to be out of the house. I'll try again next week with my daughter but within reason.

Tuesday I see the surgeon and will hear more.

Aida

It's the little things that count, isn't it, Aida. Now that you are 'over the mountaintop' you will find that those little things that you didn't used to see are so very important - sunny days, rainy days, flowers, shopping, visiting, telling your loved ones that you do love them, and on and on. Welcome to this side of the mountain. Now you can help others across. So many are so scared, as we all know. God bless:)

Yes, I really see the other side of the mountain but I haven't gone over the top yet. Today I saw the surgeon, one month after the surgery. He said I was looking great, the best he had seen anyone today. I should have asked him if he only did surgery before me.

I still have aches and pains but they tell me it's only muscles strenghening and getting back together. But as they say, if Tylenol fixes it, don't worry.

I keep seeing "INR". Excuse my stupidity, but what is INR?

Hope Bill got home on Monday. It makes a big difference to be home with loved ones.

Aida

Hi Aida,

Here is an explanation of what INR means.

What is INR?

Until a few years ago, the warfarin dose was altered based on the ratio of the patient's prothrombin time (PT) relative to the (normal) PT of a control preparation. However, the PTs tended to vary depending on the source of the reagents used in the lab.

It is now widely accepted that the anticoagulation level and the appropriate warfarin regimen are best determined on the basis of the INTERNATIONAL NORMALIZED RATIO (INR). The INR value depends on the sensitivity ratio of the thromboplastin reagent used in the laboratory relative to the International Reference Preparation (IRP), a sensitive thromboplastin prepared from human brain.

This standardization system was introduced by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1983 to provide a common basis for the interpretation of the PT results independent of the sensivity of the laboratory thromboplastin reagent which tends to vary from one manufacturer to another. The INR is derived from calibrations of commercial thromboplastin reagents against the International Reference Preparation (IRP). The calibration yields a value called the International Sensitivity Index or ISI. The manufacturer provides the ISI value for each lot of thromboplastin reagent. The lower the ISI value the more sensitive is the thromboplastin preparation. For the three commercial rabbit brain thromboplastins currently used in the US and Canada, the ISI ranges from 1.3 to 2.8.
The INR is calculated as the observed PT ratio raised to ISIth power as shown in this equation:
INR = (observed PT ratio)ISI

The "observed PT ratio" is the ratio of the patient's PT divided by "the control PT". The control PT is often a constant value for each laboratory and it is referred to as the lab's average normal PT. Here are some examples:

Patient's PT Control PT ISI INR
19 12 1.3 1.82
20 12 1.8 2.51
15 12 2.8 1.87
23 12 2.4 4.77
For most indications, the recommended INR is 2 to 3.
For prosthetic heart valves the INR should be maintained between 2.5 and 3.5

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
St. Jude's Mechanical

Last edited:
INR

INR

Christina:

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation of INR. I had never seen it mentioned except here. Now I can understand what the Anticoagulation Clinic goes through when trying to figure out my dosage.

Aida

Aida- I think INR sounds complicated but is now SIMPLE. Its like how everyone had to know maths in those olden days, but now uses a calculator...difficult computations done instantly by the invention of magical machines! Hope you are blossoming!
Love Debs
Ps, you've been with your guy for how long?
I guess it must be love :)
xxx debs

deborahj:

Yes, hard to believe, but Mitch and I have been married 54 years!
Sometimes we wonder and recount but when we celebrate one of our children's birthdays, we say it's got to be.

Christina gave me a very detailed explanation of INR but surprisingly I understood quite a bit of it. Even though I'm not a chemist I guess it helped having been an accountant.

Yesterday we celebrated the fifth week of my 'new heart' and arteries. Since we have been pretty much on our own the past week, I decided to do some cooking to store in the freezer for the future. I laughed while I was trying to get some things from kitchen cabinets without bending (a chair and a grabber) but I did it. Truthfully after I finished cooking I was wiped out and just went to my trusty recliner chair. After I served dinner with Mitch's help, I was back in the chair. A couple of hours later Mitch came out of the kitchen and said "Remind me not to take a job of being a housewife".

Aida

Aida; I'm glad you had the loving arms of your trusty recliner to sink into...don't overdo it hon!
however we all gotta eat!!!
tell me is the 'grabber' like park keepers have for litter? Anyway it sounds useful..
like every home should have one!
Anyway at least if you froze the cooking you'll be able to take it easy for a few meals to come...perhaps even gather the energy to go for a meal out! (or more shopping!)
smile
Lotsa love from deb xxx;)

Latest posts

Back