It’s time to start thinking about Prosthetic or Biological Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

DJM 18;n878985 said:

From that
Also new to the guidelines is the option for people as young as 50 who require surgery to replace a diseased aortic or mitral valve to receive a valve made of natural animal tissue as opposed to a mechanical valve made of artificial materials. Previous guidelines said patients had to be at least 60 to receive a tissue valve.

Mechanical heart valves typically don’t need to be replaced and were previously recommended for younger patients who needed a valve that could last decades. But mechanical valves require a lifetime of taking the blood thinner warfarin, known by the brand name Coumadin.

Although warfarin is inexpensive, it requires frequent blood tests, dietary restrictions and possibly limiting physical activity, Otto said.

I think they are calling 50 "younger", which is in line with the fact that for the vast majority of surgeries the idea that the patient is under 40 is as likely as they are martian. I had my second valve replacement at 28 years old.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11201014
Due to demographic changes in average life expectancy, the age of patients undergoing cardiac surgery is increasing as well.

So they are saying leather is a natural product. Seems very disingenuous for a organisation of their stature.
Once upon a time, car drive shafts were joined to the diff by leather. it wore out fast but they didnt mind and ther owners could afford the costs of maintenance. Now we use steel.

The problems with warfarin come from its requirements for frequent blood testing. Once that meant lab tests and vein draws, now it's as simple as a finger prick. I think that has not sunk in. To most surgeons yet.

The dietary restrictions myth still perpuates...

If you are younger (which to me is under 40) then ypi need to identify what your risk of aneurysm is. For this may ultimately drive your next surgery requirement. And ultimately among the most important pieces of information in the puzzle of making your decisions

always remember: when reading what others have written and published "what questions were they answering" and juxtapose that with "what question are you seeking answers for". Then you can read between the lines with greater clarity, for its seldom that an author is writing to you (except when directly answering your questions)

Best Wishes

these are the experts in there field, not somebody on the internet, most of them professors or highly qualified cardio, we must remember that when we gather information,these are the people who save our lifes, all we can do is pass on our opinions which are not in any way medically backed,

good point, always go with a professional opinion, these are fully money back guaranteed with a full replacement warranty. Medical experts are the ones who save your life and never make mistakes (just ask Cherie {link}).

Indeed asking questions here is pointless as has just been observed, we are all "just internet things", you shouldn't waste your time here gathering opinions or asking questions (says the one who seldom says more than "its up to you" and he wonders why its quiet).

why are you so aggressive in your replies, all I said was yes we can pass on our opinions after all this is a forum, but also stated we are not medically trained unlike the doctors and professors we see, why all the sarcasm it really isn't needed ,

I wouldn't say I'm aggressive in my replies, but I do wonder why almost every time I assist someone with technical information (at their request) you've got to go along posting how "none of us are experts" and "you should ask your doctors" ... Myself I assume that people come here to ask because 1) they already are seeing a Dr and they want additional information 2) they want to discuss the topic.

I assume that people I discuss things with here are adults and are aware that we here are just patients, so its quite tiresome that you keep pointing this out ... usually only when I've said something ... as if you have some axe to grind with me

I also (in the main) cite actual peer reviewd journals, the exact same stuff which the cardioloigists and surgeons would read. Those are not "my opinions" they are the opinions of professors and medical experts who research and publish.

I don't come here to "rub shoulders" with old members, I come here to provide input to questions and to assist as I can when members ask questions. Like when people have INR questions about a medical issue, as happened recently.

i posted something positive on valve replacements on here, that's all, again the sarcastic reply, as far as the INR Goes i will say this ,you know as much as anybody on here,

no sarcasm in the above ... just straight shooting. Just for reference:

sarcasm
ˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I'm a well read expert. I've read heaps of ****. People ask me for advice all the time. Ask that knowledgeable prick over there, he'll know.

good point, always go with a professional opinion, these are fully money back guaranteed with a full replacement warranty. Medical experts are the ones who save your life and never make mistakes (just ask Cherie {link}).

Indeed asking questions here is pointless as has just been observed, we are all "just internet things", you shouldn't waste your time here gathering opinions or asking questions (says the one who seldom says more than "its up to you, No sarcasm in that ? really, ok then, lets leave it at that, Getting back to the original article I posted the medical world is making great strides in valve replacement, good news for us all imo,

manuel_Scotland;n878889 said:
Hi Everybody,

Again, thank you for any comments/answers I may get.

Manuel

As usual, this thread is degenerating into "I'm right....you're wrong", regarding valve choice. Manuel, who started this tread one week ago, has not been "active" on the forum since the day he started the thread..........so he apparently got his answers quickly and moved on......and has missed all the in-fighting......so, cool it........before we start a fight that has NO end.:Mad:

Sometimes my massage therapist hears the ticking. And my hubby only hears it when he is snuggled close. The ticking is very comforting, very subtle, and sounds like a watch. I like it. It has never kept me up at night. Right after your surgery it will be loud because your heart is healing. But it quiets down with time. It is kind of cool to be able to hear your own, steady pulse if you pay attention. I find the steadiness comforting-- no afib! If I'm in a noisy situation, I cant hear it at all and most of the time dont even think about it.

Latest posts

Back