is mechanical valve that noisy ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraordinary

I just wanna know is it really that noisy ?
and does it feel like the palpitation ?? because i can't stand the feeling of the palp

I hear mine all the time in quiet rooms. But it doesn't feel like anything and you do get used to it, although mine sometimes keeps me awake at nights still. But then it also keeps me *alive* so it's probably a good thing I hear it!

It doesn't feel like palpitations. I can hear my mechanical valve best when I'm lying in bed at night. If it seems too loud, I try sleeping on my other side. It has never kept me awake or kept me from falling asleep. My wife can hear it but says she's happy so long as it keeps clicking (beats the alternative).

I'm only ten days in with two mechanical valves. I hear them but it doesn't bother me. I thought it would. They don't feel like anything. I've heard the noise deminishes with time and you get used to it, but like I said it already doesn't bother me.

The only time I really hear mine is during some "adult" activities. My heart is working pretty good during this time, we're usually in our quiet bedroom, and I think that when positioned just right, our bodies amplify the sound like an old-fashioned megaphone. It's not a problem: she rather likes it. :wink2:

26 days post op, mine sounds like a loud watch. I can hear it in the bathroom and while laying in bed. During regular activities of daily living, I am not aware of the tick tocker. I cannot feel it unless I put my hand on my chest. Hubby can't usually hear it. Cats don't seem to be bothered by it. Slight palpitations when laying on my side and breathing deeply. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only time I really hear mine is during some "adult" activities. My heart is working pretty good during this time, we're usually in our quiet bedroom, and I think that when positioned just right, our bodies amplify the sound like an old-fashioned megaphone. It's not a problem: she rather likes it. :wink2:

And that is what kids these days refer to as 'TMI' (too much information)!!! Thanks Clay . . . .

And that is what kids these days refer to as 'TMI' (too much information)!!! Thanks Clay . . . .

I dunno ... its a valid point. It bothered me when I first discovered the same, bothered me more when Anita said she heard it too. YouTube links however will be too much information :)

I just wanna know is it really that noisy ?
and does it feel like the palpitation ?? because i can't stand the feeling of the palp

To provide some actual information on this, I seldom hear mine, but in quiet places (like the toilet) do hear a bass reverb and know its me (down Ski girl, I meant the heart beat).

I feel it sitting at some angles, but never when I'm standing, working or (curiously) training.

I have come to the view that its related to scar tissue. If you have tons of scar tissue from previous operations then you seem more likely to feel it.

Maybe a couple of youtube links would help.

Recording of valve noise. Sounds like mine and I like the crisp sound as if it sounded mushy I would be worried stuff was growing on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23iyLWQeWA

Doctor talking about sound of valve in newer valves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ucMJY-v3eU

I am one who also hears mine in bed and find rolling over helps. Does not bother me and never has kept me from sleeping.

I don't think mine is that noisy. I've had mine since I was 2 years old, so it is normal to me. I can't remember life without it. I hear mine in quiet places, but it has never bothered me. When I was young I had a few people ask what that noise was. I'm 34 now, and I can't remember anyone asking me that since I've been an adult. I don't think I'm ever in a quiet enough place in public where anyone else would be able to hear it. There's been times when people have wanted to hear it, but places were always too noisy..lol Most buildings at least have some kind of background noise (A/C, heater, appliances) that would be louder than the valve.

I can't speak for everyone, but I have never had any issues in 32 years with the valve being too loud. most people don't even know it makes audible noise. :) And, I have never felt any palpitations from it, when I am in sinus rhythm, but I don't have a "before" to compare to. :p

I noticed mine at first, for the first few weeks or so after my AVR. Now almost 14 years later I very seldom notice it unless I focus on trying to hear it in a quiet room.
Mark

I am a mechanical valve newbie. It's been a little over a month now with my new valve. It's louder than I expected. It sounds like a wrist watch in a quiet room, like others have said. I hear it most when trying to sleep. I know I'll get use to the sound but just this morning it really bugged me when I woke up early and was trying to fall back to sleep.

Latest posts

Back