Is it okay to hit a boxing bag as part of gym training

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys just want to know if it’s okay to punch a boxing bag on a weekly bases as part of your gym routine?

I'm right around 90 days post-surgery (valve replacement). I've worked the heavy bag a dozen times in the last few weeks w/ no perceived ill effect. I would go light the first time to see if your sternum feels any discomfort. This might serve as an indicator of how quickly/slowly it's stitching up. By habit, I replicate any striking I do righty w/ striking in a lefty stance.

I understand the fear, but the valve is very unlikely to come loose. If your surgeon has cleared you for exercise, you're good to go. My impression is that people are more likely to re-open their incisions/sternum than that the valve comes loose.

Hi.
I am 7.5 months post my valve replacement surgery and I have hit the heavy bag several times, which I started doing at about the 3 month point following surgery. I would not suggest this in the first couple months after surgery, but usually your cardiologist will give you clearance for rigorous physical activity after 3 or 4 months and don't see any reason why you should not be able to go at the bag as hard as you like.

I've worked the heavy bag a dozen times in the last few weeks w/ no perceived ill effect. I would go light the first time to see if your sternum feels any discomfort. T
to @Siraaj Wilkinson I would 100% back waiting the full 8 weeks after the operation to allow the sternum to heal FULLY ... after than use pain as a guid = "if it hurts stop doing that"

My valve might come loose lol, I am very paranoid
your valve is not the significant issue, your sternum is ... how far post op are you?

If its months you'll have to cut your chest open and rip it out to be of concern. It isn't just stitched in like a pocket on a jacket, the body grows over it like ivy over a wall ... it has to be cut out.

see my above post for the issues with the sternum.

Best Wishes

Go for it. Candidly, it's easier for me to regulate my heart rate into the desired cardio rehab zone w/ a bag workout than on an elliptical trainer/rower.

Asuming the valve is mechanic , i dont know what happens from punching bags.
but i used to do contact sports before the warfarin, and a couple of years ago got into a training round and i got few bruises; punching bags, i dont know...., but that would be the only concern after everthing is properly healed, it may take more time than you think for "Full Internal" healing......, ask your cardiologist...

Back