Is exercise causing my INR to decrease?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNDenver

Spring has sprung and I am getting out daily for long walks with the dog, and biking on the weekends. During the cold winter days, not so much. My INR had been holding steady at about 3.0-3.2 taking 3.5 mg per day. In the last week, I have lost 5 pounds (woot!!) and this morning when I tested my INR was at 2.3 . . . I am thinking that I will increase my dose to 4 mg every other day, which should bump me back up above 2.5.

What sayest thou, O all knowing forum???

:eek:

Rob:
Generally, when you increase your metabolism, your INR will drop. That's because blood is making more trips through your liver, which is metabolizing the warfarin in your blood. A few people here have said they don't see a drop in their INRs when they become more active; however, for most people, that's what happens.
A friend in Arkansas is retired -- owned a medical supply business that he sold when he was in his early 50s (lucky dog!) -- and his INR has been stable at about 2.0. EXCEPT when he goes out of town and is more active, walking all over a 20,000 to 100,000 square foot room in a convention center. Then he tweaks his dosage a tad.

Exercise has some effect causing my INR to decrease a little, although the decrease is minimal. I would not make any big changes based on only one test, but the small change you are considering may bring you up into your comfort level.

INR & Exercise

INR & Exercise

Exercise tends to speed-up my metabolic rate so my INR drops. When winter finally beaks and I get motivated to get my cycling routine going again, I typically increase my coumadin dosage. Close monitoring as my activity level increases tells me how I need to adjust. I'd rather base adjustment on corrections that testing indicates rather than guessing.

-Philip

Rob:

Another consideration: Some people tend to eat lighter and healthier come warmer weather (thoughts of new swimsuits maybe? vbg) , and that's apt to eliminate some vitamin K from your normal intake, which would be apt to increase your INR. Toss that in with a drop in your INR due to increased exercise, and it's difficult to see where the numbers will land.
Best to just test, see what the results are and make adjustments as you go along based on an algorithm chart, rather than trying to estimate the needed change.

Back