Is beer a no no ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

just wondering.
Right now, I'm interested in getting to know my new mechanical Aortic valve.
But somewhere in the future, would I be able to drink a couple of beers?
When I get back to work, I'm usually on the road ,and being a union electrician, there's a night that's picked out of the week called brotherhood night. Electricians would get together at a pub and have a couple of beers.
Is this something that I should stay away from?
Do any of the forum members drink?

this is all new to me, I'm just 2 weeks post surgery and don't plan on going back to work for at least 6 more weeks. First I'd like to get an ok to gradually start exercising in the gym.

Thanks,
Jimmy

In my experience, which has included some experiments of testing my INR before and after consumption of 2 pints of beer, moderate alcohol consumption (whether beer, wine, spirits or in trifle or Christmas Pudding) is not a problem. If there was an effect, it was to very modestly reduce my INR, by 0.1 units or so, but this is too small a difference to be confident of being down to the alcohol, being within the margin of error anyway. I regularly drink a glass of wine with a meal with no effect.

I did a similar test within a couple of months of my AVR surgery and that DID appear to show a significant difference in INR (a reduction of 0.9) and so I didn't drink at all for over a year. But after more threads discussing alcohol on this forum with almost unanimous agreement of negligible effect I tried my experiment again and have been drinking regularly, moderately, ever since. So I am not sure if alcohol might have more effect during the early days when INR can be a bit unstable, or whether (and more likely in my view) the early test result was down to another factor.

I find the biggest effects on my INR are:
  • Having a cold (INR drop occurs before full symptoms show)
  • Having loose bowel movements / upset stomach
  • Missing a Warfarin dose
Otherwise I would agree with Dick that Warfarin has had no effect on my diet or lifestyle

Back