Irregular Heartbeat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinemc

Question to the ones who have the experience. Do you generally know about irregular heartbeat and what are the signs to look for? My doctors' have said that I have an irregular heartbeat, but I feel fine, just occasional heart palpitations every so often as I am 56 years young. Just asking, Thanks everyone ahead of time. :)

I also have a irregular heart rhythm.
It was caused by the scar tissues and resulted in Left bundle branch block. There is no need to fix as it is my regular irregular if that makes sense.

Actually to help with medications when it is not needed can be worse. You just need to look out for a rhythm that is persistently fast for an extended period of time even at rest. So if it is over 110 beats per min and your resting go get it checked.
Also have a looking into a holter monitor if you are concerned. What I do have it a few ECG papers that show my irregular rhythm to have it to compare in the future.

Question to the ones who have the experience
mine is mostly regular but if I have a few drinks then it not only speeds up (as expecgted) but also misses a beat now and then ... sort of like me trying to catch up on a dance step when I'm off time (but haven't done that in a while).

I have started taking chelated magnesium daily and it seems to have helped. I was in good sinus rythum prior to my 3rd surgery and again after it ... so I can't blame my issues on that ...

HTH

Very Interested in this discussion. I am 88 and have had irregular heartbeat since 22 but flight surgeon gave me a permeant waiver for flight status and had 27 year active duty career. April 1 I had TAVER valve and that went very well. First of May I went to my son's home in Las Vegas for swimming and did not do as well as expected. Lots of fatigue and after10 days work up with HR of 40. This HR is where it was 8 years ago when I got my first Pacemaker!! So my son checked and still 40 on his cuff so we headed over to VA hospital. They went into action with full testing and when they put me on EKG machine it was suddenly 78! I was low on potassium and they infused me and read my pacemaker for St. Judes and St. Judes came back that pacer was OK. So doctor explained how heart rate was measured with two beats one for each upper and lower chamber and call this palpitations and released me. I have no symptoms of palpitations.
Today I started cardio rehab at local hospital and they had same 40 HR with their cuff machine but 70 when hooked up on EKG monitor. Did both bike and treadmill fine for first day.
I see the VA cardiology people later in week for checkup. I there any treatment for this half heart rate like medication or is it something to live with and anytime in future when encountering a new nurse just say I have half heartbeat??????
I guess there is a connection with palpitations and irregular heart beat like they are same or similar.
Palpitations are all new to me after having irregular heart beat for almost 70 years.

I also have a irregular heart rhythm.
It was caused by the scar tissues and resulted in Left bundle branch block. There is no need to fix as it is my regular irregular if that makes sense.

Actually to help with medications when it is not needed can be worse. You just need to look out for a rhythm that is persistently fast for an extended period of time even at rest. So if it is over 110 beats per min and your resting go get it checked.
Also have a looking into a holter monitor if you are concerned. What I do have it a few ECG papers that show my irregular rhythm to have it to compare in the future.
No concerned at all since the cardio people are not worried, they will keep me monitored at time marches on. I was born with a heart murmur of the aortic valve, replaced with St. Jude's leaflet. But irregular heartbeat has many causes. Not unusual to those who are getting older. Medication and watchful eyes are the best medicine.

Very Interested in this discussion. I am 88 and have had irregular heartbeat since 22 but flight surgeon gave me a permeant waiver for flight status and had 27 year active duty career. April 1 I had TAVER valve and that went very well. First of May I went to my son's home in Las Vegas for swimming and did not do as well as expected. Lots of fatigue and after10 days work up with HR of 40. This HR is where it was 8 years ago when I got my first Pacemaker!! So my son checked and still 40 on his cuff so we headed over to VA hospital. They went into action with full testing and when they put me on EKG machine it was suddenly 78! I was low on potassium and they infused me and read my pacemaker for St. Judes and St. Judes came back that pacer was OK. So doctor explained how heart rate was measured with two beats one for each upper and lower chamber and call this palpitations and released me. I have no symptoms of palpitations.
Today I started cardio rehab at local hospital and they had same 40 HR with their cuff machine but 70 when hooked up on EKG monitor. Did both bike and treadmill fine for first day.
I see the VA cardiology people later in week for checkup. I there any treatment for this half heart rate like medication or is it something to live with and anytime in future when encountering a new nurse just say I have half heartbeat??????
I guess there is a connection with palpitations and irregular heart beat like they are same or similar.
Palpitations are all new to me after having irregular heart beat for almost 70 years.
Your new nurse is just got into the field I bet. Palpitations are not unusual for women after we hit 40, for wee all get them. And irregular heartbeats are as we age and get older. Did a stress test lying down and a echo done at the same time. Goodness, they love to torture us. I hope I never have to harness, cause the bus service is getting ready to suck later this year, to make it harder to get around. I live across the river going north and bus service is going to lack more in October. Sucks. And I do not drive. They drive to crazy in my city. So glad that I am not alone. Have a nice weekend and 4th of july.

mine is mostly regular but if I have a few drinks then it not only speeds up (as expecgted) but also misses a beat now and then ... sort of like me trying to catch up on a dance step when I'm off time (but haven't done that in a while).

I have started taking chelated magnesium daily and it seems to have helped. I was in good sinus rythum prior to my 3rd surgery and again after it ... so I can't blame my issues on that ...

HTH
[/QH

HTH
I had an aunt who had skipping a beat heart. Once when she blacked out, it made her black out, she hit her head on the corner of the coffee table and bruised her forehead. She had that condition for many years. If you are generically pre-destined to skipped heartbeat, sometimes over the counter may help for a time. Hope it lasts you for some time to come. And keep from being around furniture with sharp edges. Bad when you might black out from a skipping heart beat.

I have had PVCs on and off for years. Last 2-3 weeks they have gotten strong and long. I bought a Kardi which is an FDA approved EKG system. It is really designed for A-Fib, but an EKG is an EKG. If it is not A-Fib it tends to show "unclassified" unless you pay for their service. 2 nights ago I sat there and took 30 then 60 second reading back to back and constant PVCs (later confirmed when I emailed DR). They are getting bad enough I need to do something. 2 choices are meds (beta-blockers) or surgery usually. I went back on beta-blocker yesterday and today was no PVCs, but not I have the side effects, when I work out I get more tired as my heart rate is being held back. See Carido in 10 days to discuss options.

One thing I read was increased exercise can bring it on more, I guess becasue the heart is working harder and then when you rest the PVCs kick in as the heart and body are expecting higher load or something. Getting blood work soon as well to make sure my Potassium and Magnesium are good. Will likely increase my magnesium supplement to help. Last resort will be surgery. The PVCs were so bad that day I started feeling worn out. more than 10% beats of PVC is usually consider treatable as it can impact the heart over time.

I want to make sure the abandoned pacing leads are not causing any of this as well.

I’ve been cardioverted a couple times when my heart rate sustained north of 150 for no reason. After five minutes at home, I had to head in to the ER to make it stop. Both times I was carrying more weight than I should and not exercising enough. Palpitations I’ve always had. I still get them daily, but it’s a couple irregular beats here and there and straightens itself out. Activity level makes no difference.

I think it is increased exercise in my case.I have been walking more and working out more. I have been having them a bunch lately, mostly in evening and when going to bed.

Just throwing this out there…. I had pretty consistent PVCs. Last time for 24 hours. Dr in ER suggested cutting out or lessening caffeine. I did and it’s MUCH better.

Just throwing this out there…. I had pretty consistent PVCs. Last time for 24 hours. Dr in ER suggested cutting out or lessening caffeine. I did and it’s MUCH better.

I do not drink caffeinated drinks and reviewed the known stimulants that add to PVCs. Best I can see it is my increased exercise that is rising my heartbeats then and later in evening when I settle down as well as go to bed my body is still over stimulated. Morning I am usually fine. Even with the beat blocker I still get them mild. Getting blood work to check my Potassium and Magnesium as deficiencies in either can make it worse.

I have the Kardia app and the results is always Possible Afib. I have had an irregular heart beat ever since I had my Mitral valve replaced 3 years ago with a Bovine valve. The beat is never even, it consists of small and large gaps in the readout, but its not too fast. I am mostly aware of the irregularity at bed time but I'm not having an other problems. The doctor says its ok. I guess I just have to just live with it and be thankful.

The Kardi is a mixed bag sine it was really designed for A-Fib detection. If you pay the fee I believe it will provide better results, but if I have concerns I just export the trace to a PDF and email my doctor. The default is either "possible A-Fib, unclassified or Normal", with the service it adds a few other diagnoses. I find the device difficult to get good reading unless I moisten the area/fingers that contact it. I got it from Amazon so I have 30 days to decide if I keep it, I have the 6L so when I go to carido in 1 week will bring print out s and see what they think.

A bruised forehead? For many years. 😁
No, idiot. People can faint from a skipped heartbeat and not know if they are hurt. Best you learn about skipped heartbeats, for it can be a dangerous heart condition. Never joke here about the heart conditions and when they get hurt. Passing out for a skipped heart and hitting to forehead is a very serious matter.

A bruised forehead? For many years. 😁
I have had PVCs on and off for years. Last 2-3 weeks they have gotten strong and long. I bought a Kardi which is an FDA approved EKG system. It is really designed for A-Fib, but an EKG is an EKG. If it is not A-Fib it tends to show "unclassified" unless you pay for their service. 2 nights ago I sat there and took 30 then 60 second reading back to back and constant PVCs (later confirmed when I emailed DR). They are getting bad enough I need to do something. 2 choices are meds (beta-blockers) or surgery usually. I went back on beta-blocker yesterday and today was no PVCs, but not I have the side effects, when I work out I get more tired as my heart rate is being held back. See Carido in 10 days to discuss options.

One thing I read was increased exercise can bring it on more, I guess becasue the heart is working harder and then when you rest the PVCs kick in as the heart and body are expecting higher load or something. Getting blood work soon as well to make sure my Potassium and Magnesium are good. Will likely increase my magnesium supplement to help. Last resort will be surgery. The PVCs were so bad that day I started feeling worn out. more than 10% beats of PVC is usually consider treatable as it can impact the heart over time.

I want to make sure the abandoned pacing leads are not causing any of this as well.
I will into the Kardi. Might help to monitor when no visiting the Cardio.

I do not drink caffeinated drinks and reviewed the known stimulants that add to PVCs. Best I can see it is my increased exercise that is rising my heartbeats then and later in evening when I settle down as well as go to bed my body is still over stimulated. Morning I am usually fine. Even with the beat blocker I still get them mild. Getting blood work to check my Potassium and Magnesium as deficiencies in either can make it worse.
Caffeine can cause irregular hearts. I know that for I taken in caffeine in soda, and am better when I take in caffeine free soda. So many things can affect the heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back