Irregular Heartbeat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Hello all,

I've read with great interest the various posts regarding irregular heartbeats, skipped beats, a-fib, PVCs, etc. and the various descriptions and explanations (thank you, Mr. Capshaw). I'd like to share and ask feedback for my current situation.

I've had a fast pulse for many years, even before my 2nd OHS (AVR tissue), but Coreg took care of that. Now I'm 2 1/2 years post-op and I've been getting irregular beats with much more frequency. Mine is like my heart pauses for a second and a half, and then restarts with a little thud. I went to my cardio, who send me to his practice partner, an electrophysiologist. He put me on Tambacor, 50 mg twice a day, to be added to my Coreg and baby aspirin.

It hasn't helped; in fact, it's worse than ever. I plan on calling him today to see what modifications can be done, but as I stated earlier I wanted to run it past you all here. What do you think? Can this be controlled by medication? I'm afraid to work out too hard for fear of...well, you know. The irregular beat is a constant reminder that I'm not back to normal, and makes me wonder if I'll ever be.

Anyway, thank you all for listening and for any advice/input you may have.

J

You might be throwing pvcs. That's pretty common, and fairly normal. Only EKGs and similar tests can determine that. perhaps a holter monitor would be appropriate. If the tests show pvcs, maybe a change of drugs will help.

I have a problem with vtach. I'm on sotalol along with my coreg. I still throw pvcs, but at least I haven't had any vtach in several years (except when I got some MSG by mistake).

Johnny -

Did the Electrophysiologist identify the nature of your irregular heartbeat?

This is usually done with an EKG taken in the office.
If nothing shows up while in the office, then he should put you on a 24 (or 48) hour Holter Monitor.

You need to know what you are dealing with first, then treat it appropriately.

'AL Capshaw'

Al, actually, no, he did not take an EKG. He just did the normal stethoscope listening and with that prescribed the Tambacor. I'm thinking after I call today he may order one.

Clicker, I don't drink coffee, and the caffeine I ingest usually comes in the form of chocolate, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'll let you know the route we go after I speak with him. Thanks.

J

i sometimes get just what you described.I have found I need to do several things to keep the pvc's at bay.
Take a potasium,magnesium and a calcium vitimin everyday.Along with a multiple vitamin.Also exercising (even just treatmill) 30 minutes a day.These help alot.
Those irregular beats are the pits and allthough not generally dangerous they can disrupt your life.They are also very hard to explain to someone who has never
experienced it.And that is frustrating in itself.

Al, actually, no, he did not take an EKG. He just did the normal stethoscope listening and with that prescribed the Tambacor. I'm thinking after I call today he may order one.

Clicker, I don't drink coffee, and the caffeine I ingest usually comes in the form of chocolate, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'll let you know the route we go after I speak with him. Thanks.

J

I can usually guess what type of arrhythmia I am experiencing by listening with a stethoscope (and my past history) BUT I'm told it's impossible to distinguish between PAC's and PVC's without an EKG. Prescribing a Prescription Drug without taking an EKG while the patient is in the office reeks of Laziness (or worse).

Chocolate you say? The primary sources of Caffeine are Coffee, Tea, Cola Drinks, and CHOCOLATE (my weakness)

If you (or your heart) are highly sensitive to caffeine, a SINGLE Piece of Chocolate CAN trigger arrhythmias.
Sorry about that !

'AL C'

The chocolate comment hurts, Al.

I spoke doc's office and he is upping my Tambacor from 100mg a day to 200. Did NOT order an EKG. Let's see if this works.

Thanks again for your input.

J

Johnny, as someone who suffered endlessly with pac's/pvc's, I can tell you from first hand experience that some cardiac drugs I was put on to try and prevent them actually made them worse. I personally would have a problem with a Dr. putting me on a drug without doing the proper tests to know exactly what the problem is he is trying to treat. I'd call and ask for an EKG at the least and a holter or king of hearts monitor if the EKG doesn't catch anything.

Kim

Hello all,

I've read with great interest the various posts regarding irregular heartbeats, skipped beats, a-fib, PVCs, etc. and the various descriptions and explanations (thank you, Mr. Capshaw). I'd like to share and ask feedback for my current situation.

I've had a fast pulse for many years, even before my 2nd OHS (AVR tissue), but Coreg took care of that. Now I'm 2 1/2 years post-op and I've been getting irregular beats with much more frequency. Mine is like my heart pauses for a second and a half, and then restarts with a little thud. I went to my cardio, who send me to his practice partner, an electrophysiologist. He put me on Tambacor, 50 mg twice a day, to be added to my Coreg and baby aspirin.

It hasn't helped; in fact, it's worse than ever. I plan on calling him today to see what modifications can be done, but as I stated earlier I wanted to run it past you all here. What do you think? Can this be controlled by medication? I'm afraid to work out too hard for fear of...well, you know. The irregular beat is a constant reminder that I'm not back to normal, and makes me wonder if I'll ever be.

Anyway, thank you all for listening and for any advice/input you may have.

J

Just curious to know how often you're getting these. I suppose it doesn't matter because it's enough to bother you. My cardiologist explained to me that, while some people don't get them, a certain number of PVCs and PACs are considered "normal". I thought I was getting PVCs but found out they were almost all PACs. Makes sense because my left atrium has remained slightly enlarged since my surgery. It's possible I'd get them anyway though because some people end up with arrhythmias as a byproduct of OHS. Just because. My mom never had rhythm issues but since her aortic valve replacement 25 years ago she developed occasional bouts of a-fib and takes digoxin to keep it under control. I hope you get some relief with the new dose!

You know, you guys got me thinking and I think I will get an EKG. It makes sense, if for no other reason than for doc to see specifically why I'm having these hiccups. And who knows, maybe he will have a change in the game plan. As you know, these things are terribly disruptive.

Thanks, and I'll keep you all posted

Hello all, since my posting I've spoken to my cardio and he ramped up my Tambacor to 100 mg twice a day from 50. Since then my palpitations have been reduced significantly. It looks like that did the trick. I'm so relieved. Now let's see how long I'll be on it.

I hope this little anecdote helps anyone else who may be or will be in a similar situation. Thanks for listening and responding.

I kinda wish I didn't read that. I had no idea Tambacor was controversial. If it's so dangerous why is it being prescribed? Should I ask this of my cardio?

Oh no, I didn't mean to scare you. Flecainide is used by many people without issue. Digoxin is another one that needs to be monitored, but has proven itself with great results.

If your arrhythmias are due to PAC's or PVC's, there are several effective Beta Blockers to choose from.

Several of our members have had success using Toprol (a.k.a. Lopressor) which is also available in a Time Release Version known as Toprol XL. High Doses of Beta Blockers can make people feel 'lethargic' so it is good to have a cardiologist who will work with you to find the Lowest Effective Dose needed to control your arrhythmias while minimizing side effects.

'AL Capshaw'

The chocolate comment hurts, Al.

I spoke doc's office and he is upping my Tambacor from 100mg a day to 200. Did NOT order an EKG. Let's see if this works.

Thanks again for your input.

J

FIRE him, I am sick of lazy ass doctors. I am even more sick they don't explain anything any more. All they do is collect information,,,,,, not because they give a crap, but to fill their clinical playbook.

Hook, I'm not as cynical about docs, particularly since I owe my life to a few of them.

Al, I sure don't want to be sluggish, that's for sure, but of course I will do whatever is necessary. I will bring up the Lopressor question when I see him next.

As for now, it seems to be under control - although I did have an episode of fluttering today, but that could have been because I slept lousy last night, which also seems to do my ticker no favors. So it's under control...but it always looms. Not a great feeling :(

Hello all, I just wanted to give an update to my situation. First, thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. It looks like it's been around four months since I last posted in this thread. A quick review: I was having skipped beats and much fluttering. My doc put me on Tambocor, first 50mg, then 100 mg. Then wait and see...

I'm happy to report that the skipped beats and fluttering have virtually disappeared :) For real. I notice them only on a rare occasion here and there. But they are no longer the problem that they were over the summer. It was such a terrible feeling, but it looks like all is well now. Cardio said we'll wait for a year before looking into tapering off it all together. But for now we're sticking with the 100 mg. I was scared there for a while, especially after reading the reports about Tambocor on wiki. But it sure has worked well for me.

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to post. I have another issue, this one regaring scar tissue, but I'll post that in a new thread.

Latest posts

Back