Iron IV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diana

Can someone explain what Iron IV is please? There was earlier posts about anaemia and this was mentioned. Does the IV refer to an injection? I only know the term as meaning intravenous.

Thanks, Diana

Iron IV

Diana-
that post was from me and it does mean an intravenous drip, just like you think of IV. I go to this MD who does nutritional medicine, too. He determined that I was iron poor, among other things, So I get these vitamin and Iron IV's. A lot of what he does seems out there compared to "traditional" medicine, as far as supplements and vitamins, but I do feel better since getting the iron. Mostly, I am trying to get my body prepared for the trauma of the surgery, so that I can have as efficient and quick a recovery as possible. So I take Co-enzyme Q10, a multi-vitamin, a magnesium-potassium supplement, lipoic acid, and some other sutff, and then the IV has anti-oxidants and Iron. My goal is to help reduce and eliminate the number of free radicals that occur in the body after a traumatic surgery like valve replacement. Plus, I have been feeling lousy because of the fatigue caused by the bad valve, and low iron and low thyroid. Also, he is helping me to build up probiotic factors so that the antibiotics I will get in the hospital will be more effective. You know after a lifetime of high antibiotic use, as valve patients need, antibiotics become less effective, and you lose probiotic elements in your body that aid in cell regeneration and digestion.
While I am not ready to run a marathon, I do feel better, and more prepared for the surgery than 2 months ago. I figure if this regime helds even 2% than it was worth it.

I think if you are anemic and you can find some one who knows about nutritional medicine, the iron IV is the way to go. But, that is my 2 cents.
-mara:p

Hello

Here is a copy of an old post. I was treated with IV iron post op...

Have always been anemic. Post op it was severe. And as Mara was given IV iron with an epigin injection (sp?) to boost the potency of the IV iron. Had them daily for almost two weeks. The IV iron looks like blood and that really freaked people out as I walked the hospital corridors with my IV pole.

I continue to be slightly anemic 2+ years post op. Have another situation that women have to contend with that attributes to this. Anyway, they have me on Chromagen caps. It is an RX. Does not make me sick in any way at all. I will be on this indefinitely. Have a lot more energy now.

Good luck to you

Iron

Iron

Thank you Mara and Gina. It would be too difficult to try to organise Iron IV here. Last week I did hear from the hospital where my surgery will take place and the surgeon has said that he it will be sufficient for me just to take the iron pills. Can't say I feel any better for taking them - just can't wait for the surgery as I feel really yucky right now. Tomorrow we are off to London for a Pre Surgery Day where they explain what will happen on the big day. Diana

Latest posts

Back