Interesting presentation by renowned cardiologist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Not sure which part of the forum this should go, so putting it in Heart Talk since it is about CVD. Very interesting 22 minute presentation on YouTube (that I was alerted to on a diabetes forum) by cardiologist Professor Salim Yusuf (Indian born Canadian), the Marion W. Burke Chair in Cardiovascular Disease at McMaster University Medical School and currently the President of the World Heart Federation. This is a presentation he gave at a cardiology conference in Switzerland this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNqnAZTy4w

I did not watch the entire video but what I did see reinforced my understanding of reduced dietary carbohydrates. I use My Fitness Pal to track my calories and the apps nutrition goals allow me 135 grams of carbs in a 1200 calorie diet. I am pre-diabetic and think that's too high for me but I can't adjust the settings. I've thought about looking for a diabetic-based calorie counter and now I think I need to do that. Thanks!

Glad you found the video interesting - I thought it was intriguing from a top cardiologist. I can understand why you want to lower your carbs - I stick to around 50 grams carbs per day and that controls my diabetes well, but being pre-diabetic you wouldn't need to be quite so low in carbs, but you probably want to be at around 100 grams ? This guy, Mark Sissons, writes very well about how to achieve this in his book 'Primal Blueprint' which you might find helpful: https://www.amazon.com/New-Primal-B...1487272356&sr=8-1&keywords=mark+sissons+books And there's the Real Meal Revolution book I've mentioned before - tonight for dinner, part of what we had was from that book: courgette (zucchini) humous - no chickpeas so low carb and everyone loves it - they can't believe it's based on courgettes !

Back