interesting finding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
https://www.cell.com/immunity/fullt...m/retrieve/pii/S1074761319302808?showall=true

Summary
Macrophages play an important role in structural cardiac remodeling and the transition to heart failure following myocardial infarction (MI). Previous research has focused on the impact of blood-derived monocytes on cardiac repair. Here we examined the contribution of resident cavity macrophages located in the pericardial space adjacent to the site of injury. We found that disruption of the pericardial cavity accelerated maladaptive post-MI cardiac remodeling. Gata6 + macrophages in mouse pericardial fluid contributed to the reparative immune response. Following experimental MI, these macrophages invaded the epicardium and lost Gata6 expression but continued to perform anti-fibrotic functions. Loss of this specialized macrophage population enhanced interstitial fibrosis after ischemic injury. Gata6 + macrophages were present in human pericardial fluid, supporting the notion that this reparative function is relevant in human disease. Our findings uncover an immune cardioprotective role for the pericardial tissue compartment and argue for the reevaluation of surgical procedures that remove the pericardium.

So lots of info there over my head but do you think when the pericardium is left open after OHS this contributes to the loss of Gata6 function and thus is detrimental ?

A few months ago, we had some new sprinklers installed. When they turn off, we get a loud BANG in the pipes. There's air in the pipes somewhere, and when the pressure suddenly drops, we get the loud bang. This is called 'water hammer.' If I somehow purge the pipes of all air trapped inside, the banging should stop.

Perhaps a similar principal applies to your cardiohammer. (It's probably risky, but I wonder if inserting a needle above the pericardium - possibly guided by ultrasound, which should show any pockets of air - and removing the air - could resolve the issue. There - a new medical discovery!! Maybe it's worth thinking about??

Hey we had the same problem years ago only instead of a water hammer it would cause the pop valve on the water heater to discharge water onto the garage floor. Tried everything including a pressure reducer, nothing worked, contacted a old time plumber who said the problem lies with the water company, so he drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the flapper at the water meter that allowed the tidal wave in the line to go out into the main water line instead of bouncing back up the house lines. Never had another problem.

Interesting. I remember seeing a device that you attach to a water pipe that was supposed to eliminate water hammer. This may have done the same thing as your plumber's modification. I don't know if this thing is still available.
In my area, served by the Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power, a modification like your plumber made would probably a) require permission from the LADWP, or, if they ever learned about it, they'd probably turn off water to the entire block, replace the meter with a newer one (that still allows water hammer to occur) and charge me $10,000 for the 'repair.'
Of course, the goal of this thread (I seem to have gotten my threads mixed up - it woudl be helpful if the administrators would put the title of the thread on the page, so morons like me wouldn't blur my responses from thread to thread) is to help with the banging in the chest and ears (and probably elsewhere) that some of us are suffering from. (The only time I get this issue is when I'm having an SVT attack - you can see the heart pumping when you look at my neck, I feel it all over, but, thankfully, they only last a few minutes for me or, according to a holter monitor, happen for a few beats a few times a day).

Last edited:
I put a $75 pressure reducer on that did nothing to stop the wave action in the lines. I also placed a pressure checker on a hose bib and watched as it went from 45psi to over 70psi whenever a facet was turned on or toilet flush. Now the plumber told me that if there was a fire near by to turn the water off at the meter or else it would suck all the water out of the hot water tank and would burn it up. Was this fix legal no way, but as the plumber said the city has known about the problem for years and refused to address the issue.

Interesting. The 'suck all the water out' issue sounds like a local issue - there hasn't been a fire in the area for quite a while, but the Fire Department still checks the hydrants occasionally, making sure that they're working properly.

As far as the knocking issue in your pipes is concerned, I was told (and read) that running ALL your faucets at once and draining all the air out of the lines should take care of the problem. I have a few unused faucets that I'll run and see if this helps.

The plumber told me what was happenings is when you shut off the faucet that sends a shock wave back through the line which hit the butterfly in the meter and rebounds back up the line and this just continues thereby causing the pop off valve on the hot water tank to release water onto the floor.

Latest posts

Back