INRatio2 results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrychuck

Cross-checked my INRatio2 results against venous draw and lab results this week. This is the second time I have compared results; First time was right when I started using the INRatio2 in January. That time, the INRatio results were .1 above the lab numbers, and this time they were .1 below the lab. Very happy with this accuracy; probably won't go for another lab test for 6 months or so. Of course, I'd be happier if my INR wasn't out of range for the first time in 3 months (2.2 - target range is 2.5-3.5). I blame the Portuguese green soup (pureed kale is one of the main ingredients) I had at a wine pairing dinner on the weekend. Damn vitamin k!

When comparing tests results lab/monitor I like to remind myself of what dose adjustment is required, if any. With the difference you are quoting--none.
The 2.2 result needs to be addressed--it would make me uncomfortable because my low range is 2.5 as well.
As far as the soup is concerned I'd never even think about it. It's like tilting at windmills.
Just imagine how many bowls of soup, kale salad and everything else containing Vit K it would take to reduce a too high test result. And besides, Vit K is required for healthy bones.

My Inratio2 is usually 0.1 - 0.5 higher then a lab draw. My test is done in the parking lot of the lab a few minutes after they do their blood draw. As long as I home test above 3, I'm happy.

Yes, the 2.2 needs to be addressed; after consulting with the warfarin management program here I increased my dosage for 1 day by 2 mg and will recheck earlier than normal to see if my INR is back in range. I suspect it's just an aberration; my INR has been extremely stable at 2.7 to 2.8 for the past month, taking 8 mg of warfarin per day. The fact that those numbers are fairly close to the bottom of my range is actually why I decided this was a good time to check my home test results against the lab, in case my meter was reading higher as some report the INRatio does. For the record, the 2.2 was my INRatio score, with the lab result coming in at 2.3, so I'm just a hair below range. At any rate, between the extra warfarin dose and the wine festival I am attending for the next 3 days, I'm pretty sure I'll be back in range by Monday!

By the way, Marc, like you I did my home test immediately after getting the blood drawn in the lab; probably about 15 minutes later, just long enough to drive straight home and get my meter out.

As for worrying about the kale in the soup, I don't. I eat a lot of greens, although I do kind of avoid kale for the most part, just because it has so much more vit k than most other foods. I probably did take in more vit k than normal, though, and that intake was 4 days prior to testing, so it likely would have made a difference. I just have to remember that any increase in vit k intake needs to be balanced by increased intake of wine and single malt scotch;) You can never be too careful....

As I just posted in another string, I have noticed about a .2 lower reading from my Inratio 2 over lab draw results. Seems to be fairly consistent too. Knowing that, makes me feel better about managing my 2.5-3.0 range.

Rechecked my INR (with the INRatio) tonight after taking one larger dose of warfarin and, as mentioned above, attending a wine festival for 3 days, with (as you might expect) somewhat higher than normal alcohol intake. I try to spit, but it's so hard when sampling really good wines.... Anyway, INR tonight was 3.4. My guess is that it will settle back down a bit below 3 again next week and then stabilize there until I do something to upset it again. It is certainly reassuring to be able to catch these aberrations quickly and be able to adjust quickly as well.

I wouldn't sweat a 3.4. The thing about INR management is that it takes time for warfarin to have full effect. If your INR is EXTREMELY high, a lot of greens - or even a dose of Vitamin K can bring it down rapidly. However, as I stated, I personally wouldn't do anything about a 3.4. (However, if I'm getting 3.4 consistently, week to week, I MIGHT drop my dose slightly)

Latest posts

Back