Inr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marevan right?

No - Almus and Teva:

The brand does change from time to time - I assume a commercial decision by my pharmacy. I haven't noticed a difference in dose requirements as a result. I used to be prescribed 2 months' supply of each type at a time, but when I changed doctors the new practice only prescribes 1 month at a time, for some reason. This may well be an accidental error when setting up all the meds on my record, as other items are still supplied in 2 month quantities - I should ask, though as all my medication is free because of having a chronic condition (diabetes type 1) it isn't really an issue for me. I order prescriptions online, and my doctor transmits the prescription to my chosen pharmacy.

Last edited:
No - Almus and Teva:
The brand does change from time to time - I assume a commercial decision by my pharmacy.
this is proving very interesting, in Finland there was mainly Marevan (and indeed people didn't know what Warfarin was but knew "Blood Thinners" and "Marevan" (at least around Eastern Finland where I lived).

yeah, sorry about that ... I know its a bit of a "writers cardinal sin", but (in my defense) it is at least 3 sentences...
Our former President, Barack Obama used to speak like that ..... LONG sentences. But, to his credit, he always circled back and tied them together with a relevant conclusion.

Pellicle - if you're not writer, it's not a sin. And, FWIW, you said that it's what SOMEONE ELSE (not you) would say. In my mind, you're completely off the hook.

(I've done some REALLY LONG paragraphs, myself. Usually lots of relatively short sentences, all strung together).

LondonAndy -- it looks like what you're getting are packages with 28 pills. Is every month February in England? Is it possible that you may take more than one pill at a time? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also -- I've found that it's important to check your INR after you switch manufacturers. I've found that my body doesn't work well with warfarin from some manufacturers -- I just can't get a consistent enough result to truly regulate my INR.

For me, Teva works fine. There's another generic in the United States that just doesn't work well for me.

Andy -- I don't know how YOU do it, but my doctor prescribes a lot of warfarin -- his office staff don't seem to have any clue about anticoagulation and dosing (which is good -- I DO) - if I tell them I want a 90 day supply, and they figure I take three a day, the prescription for 270 pills is prescribed -- I often get two sealed bottles of 100 and a separate bottle of 70, counted and filled by the pharmacy. I know how NOT to abuse it, so they're okay with usually prescribing large amounts.

by making that variance in dose smaller (from dose to dose) you can then make a clearer decision about what to do. If the dose is varying wildly you need to understand the half life of warfarin and this will make any estimations of residual warfarin harder to grasp
I just fired my GP over this.
I've been struggling trying to get him to understand this concept and he couldn't get his head around it. My INR was at 3.4 (range 2.5-3.5) he kept telling me to stop for a day and then drop my repetitive dose from 10mg to alternating 5 and 7.5. I KNOW if I did this I'd be in the 1. something range.
He threatened to stop writing scripts for warfarin. I'd had enough.
Now I'm going to a walk in clinic to a doc who "seems" to understand what's going on and he has no problems writing up the scripts.
Sorry for the rant. The doc was harder to manage than my INR!

Hi L
@Paul1972

Hi Paul have you retested yet?

what did you do dose wise and how did it alter your INR ?
Hi Leadville,I’ve just got back off holiday last night . I must admit I’ve tested everyday since Monday and took 5mg a day instead of my normal 8.5mg as I was still enjoying my holiday if you know what I mean 🍺😊.It came down gradually till Thursday the day we set off home and because I’ve not had a beer since Wednesday night its dropped quite quick today to 3.0 from 4.1 yesterday. I’m going back to my normal dose tonight 👍. I make myself sound like I drink a lot but I normally only have a few beers at weekends. I will have to stop going on all these holidays 😊

I just fired my GP over this.
I've been struggling trying to get him to understand this concept and he couldn't get his head around it. My INR was at 3.4 (range 2.5-3.5) he kept telling me to stop for a day and then drop my repetitive dose from 10mg to alternating 5 and 7.5. I KNOW if I did this I'd be in the 1. something range.
He threatened to stop writing scripts for warfarin. I'd had enough.
Now I'm going to a walk in clinic to a doc who "seems" to understand what's going on and he has no problems writing up the scripts.
Sorry for the rant. The doc was harder to manage than my INR!
This didn't sound like a rant, to me. It's upsetting and frustrating when you know more about it than your doctor, and the doctor doesn't take any effort to understand it.

It sounds like the 'doctor''s suggested dose changes WOULD propel you down to 2 or less. I'm glad that you decided to go to another doctor. Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to find a doctor who understands that you know how to self manage, and that sometimes you have to make up different doses, and that these changes require different combinations of smaller pills.

I'm fortunate enough to have a doctor whose office has prescribed the doses I requested. He's not entirely comfortable when I tell him his lab is wrong, but at least he's easy to get a prescription from.

Good luck with your new doctor -- I hope he or she is flexible enough to support your requests and to listen with an open mind.

I love how this thread has morphed into "pill picks"

No - Almus and Teva:
View attachment 887183

The brand does change from time to time - I assume a
I confirmed with my pharmacist mate that in Australia there is only Coumadin and Marevan (he could be wrong, but usually he isn't)

Here is what I get;

so that's 5, 3 and 1 in that order
Now if @dick0236 can post his pics that'd be grand ;-)

I love how this thread has morphed into "pill picks"

At this time of year it makes a change from people's holiday pics!

And interesting how prescribing policies vary so much. Comparatively restricted quantities here in the UK, though 90% of people get free prescriptions (at the point of supply), but Protimenow can get hundreds at a time (but presumably has to pay?)

And interesting how prescribing policies vary so much.
its interesting as in Australia I get a prescription that has "repeats" which is usually 3 repeats. This enables me to also at the discretion of the pharmacist get all 4 servings at once. So I can go in and get 4 bottles of 50.

Also I have to pay as the PBS in Australia works interestingly by subsidising expensive drugs but not making them free (smart in my view having witnessed how people treat anything that's free). This means I pay $17 per bottle of 50.

Latest posts

Back