INR - what's too low?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poyda

Hi all! Me yet again!

I had an INR today! It's been a bit all over the shop lately! INR done via vein draw via a pathology lab

Today's INR was 1.9 and this time last week I had an INR of 3.7! Is it possible for a "dodgy test" to happen. Either too high it too low?

No diet changes, everything is relatively the same? Apart from accidentally taking 12 mg, instead of my usual 13, but that was a week ago, nothing's has changed Surely I couldn't have dropped that significantly in a week?

Doc wants me to repeat INR tomorrow just to double check but I'm freaking out. Is 1.9 too low? Dangerous? Target INR is 2.5 to 3.5 btw

Hopefully tommorows test is all good

Hi
Poyda;n885695 said:
I had an INR today! It's been a bit all over the shop lately! INR done via vein draw via a pathology lab

can you tell me the doses you've been taking? Also can you tell me what methods you have to be certain you aren't accidentially missing a dose or taking a double dose?

Today's INR was 1.9 and this time last week I had an INR of 3.7! Is it possible for a "dodgy test" to happen. Either too high it too low?

its possible but highly unlikely ... especially given they are all vein draws (as I understood at least).

No diet changes

as you will eventually come to find, diet makes essentially zero difference and the only people who emphasize it are (in the main) physicians and clinicians who have no direct personal experience. Even the literature does not emphasise it and indeed does the opposite.

...Apart from accidentally taking 12 mg, instead of my usual 13, but that was a week ago, nothing's has changed Surely I couldn't have dropped that significantly in a week?

it does seem unlikely and so I'd be curious to get a much longer daily dose history (at least the last 4 weeks, with INR readings if possible).

Doc wants me to repeat INR tomorrow just to double check but I'm freaking out. Is 1.9 too low? Dangerous?

relax, you don't spontaneously form into a solid blood clot and get a stroke, its all about time that matters. The longer you are out of range the higher the likelihood of a "problem". I often post this graph, but read the axes carefully and see what is a "dangerous" area to remain in.

14626794599_c646b1872d_b.jpg

also read my blog post here: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/01/2016-inr-data.html

and if you want to work together on this (managing your INR) I'd be happy to help. email me if you're inclined ... at my hotmail address ... you know, username is pellicle and all that.

Best Wishes

pellicle;n885696 said:
Hi

can you tell me the doses you've been taking? Also can you tell me what methods you have to be certain you aren't accidentially missing a dose or taking a double dose?

its possible but highly unlikely ... especially given they are all vein draws (as I understood at least).

as you will eventually come to find, diet makes essentially zero difference and the only people who emphasize it are (in the main) physicians and clinicians who have no direct personal experience. Even the literature does not emphasise it and indeed does the opposite.

it does seem unlikely and so I'd be curious to get a much longer daily dose history (at least the last 4 weeks, with INR readings if possible).

relax, you don't spontaneously form into a solid blood clot and get a stroke, its all about time that matters. The longer you are out of range the higher the likelihood of a "problem". I often post this graph, but read the axes carefully and see what is a "dangerous" area to remain in.

14626794599_c646b1872d_b.jpg

also read my blog post here: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/01/2016-inr-data.html

and if you want to work together on this (managing your INR) I'd be happy to help. email me if you're inclined ... at my hotmail address ... you know, username is pellicle and all that.

Best Wishes

Sent you a pm.on here!

Poyda;n885695 said:
Hi all! Me yet again!

No diet changes, everything is relatively the same? Apart from accidentally taking 12 mg, instead of my usual 13, but that was a week ago, nothing's has changed Surely I couldn't have dropped that significantly in a week?

Doc wants me to repeat INR tomorrow just to double check but I'm freaking out. Is 1.9 too low? Dangerous? Target INR is 2.5 to 3.5 btw

Hopefully tommorows test is all good

Don't worry, I've been low before with no problems. I get a dose adjustment from the clinic and asked to retest in 5--7 days. I test at home. Don't sweat it, a low INR is the perfect example of a problem that worry cannot change :) Just time and warfarin.

I am surprised your Doctor wants a redraw, when I've gone low, they've never retested until after a dose adjustment. Twice I've retested after a low INR at home...got low results again.

Poyda;n885695 said:

IMO neither the 3.7 or 1.9 should cause undue concern......but the swing between 3.7 and 1.9 in a week is unusual. Smart idea for your doc to "double check". For me, taking the correct dose is the most important thing I do......and a simple seven day pill box is the only way to insure that I take the proper dose......and I still forget a few times each year......but I am certain to catch my error before I either "skip" or "double up" a dose causing INR error.

I agree with all the comments so far. The things that affect my INR most are:

1. Having a cold, or the flu - INR drops dramatically, usually before the sniffles actually start
2. Antibiotics, when INR rises significantly.

Latest posts

Back