INR(Pro-thrombin) VERY HIGH !!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diana

Hello all,
I had been doing very well with a reading between 2-3 since I first started with this medicine last Oct. So well in fact that they let me go for the test and then go straight home without waiting for the result. Today was the first time I had been checked for about 12 weeks and they phoned to say it was over 10. I went for a Vit K injection and have to return tomorrow. Question, can anyone think of a reason why this might have happened. I suspect it has comething to do with the fact that I have been taking iron for a week, three times a day, preparing for surgery due to lowish haemoglobin(?) count. They say it is not the reason. The only other thing I have been taking is folic acid. Any comments will be much appreciated.
Diana (Valve disease & AF)

Diana,

Did I read you correctly? 1st time in 12 weeks? That's why a home monitor is important. I hope you're alright, no adverse effects. Please stay healthy.

STRAYZE

Can't be the iron and folic acid, because my husband is on the same dosage for low blood count and his INR is OK.

Looks like they let it go way too long. It can get going in either direction over that period of time. Better have a talk with them.

Nancy

12 weeks!

12 weeks!

Wow, Diana, that is too long! Hard to believe they wouldn't be on your case. I have been on coumadin for 2-1/2 years now and usually go at the very least once a month. Sometimes more often as like Christina says--everything affects it it seems. Fortunately, I am fairly regular and don't get too far out of bounds. I am however interested in getting a home machine myself. I don't worry as much about a higher rating as I am not typically a "bleeder", but do get concerned about too low a rating which could cause a blood clot and stroke. Take it easy and don't go so far in between. It doesn't ever "stabilize" completely--too many things to create havoc! Peace, Susan in FL:cool: :eek:

Have you been eating? Lack of vitamin K, i.e. skipping meals or not eating for a few days... and drastic changes in your diet will effect you in this regard.

Its OK today

Its OK today

Thank you everyone. Maybe it was not as long as 12 weeks - they kept my record card - but if not 12 it will have been 8. (You must all think I'm mad, not remembering properly!). The way it works here is that if the reading is stable over a number of months they allow the patient to go longer between visits and also to have a postal system whereby its not necessary to hang around after the blood is taken. They post the new appnt. I went back today and the INR is 2.6 and I don't have to go again for two weeks. My diet is pretty much the same as normal. It was just the vitamins and iron that were different. What a mystery. I did ask them about the machine, which costs about £400 here, but the clinic were not happy about it.

High INR Reading?

High INR Reading?

Diana, You may be the victim of a lab error. However these INR's can slowly creep up and down no matter what you do. That's why you need to test more often and change the dose as indicated. I take between 17.5 and 19.5 mgm Coumadin each week and adjust the dose with my home monitor, a Coaguchek( which are popular in Europe).I never go longer than 3 weeks without testing.If I'm over 4.0 the weekly dose is reduced 10%, if under 2.5 its upped 10%. Works for me and I eat and drink what I want.Take care.

High INR

High INR

Hello Marty,

Maybe it was a lab error because there did not seem to be any reason in my diet. I checked when my last appointment was before this week's clinic appnt and it was 10 weeks before. In view of the advice received here and this week's upset I will ask for monthly checks.They will probably want that too. The hospital is just up the road so its not a big inconvenience. I'll also check again about having a machine for home testing - find out what it is they don't like about them. With a lot of luck I might be able to come of coumadin altogether when the surgeon tries to fix it during my valve surgery. He is going to do radio frequency ablation and try to repair the valve. Won't that be great!!

Diana

? high INR

? high INR

Diana, it would be wonderful if they could correct your arrythmia
with RF ablation and then repair your valve. If you must continue on anticoagulants investigate the Coaguchek. Individuals can still
acquire them in the UK but not in the US. One of our panelists from Texas was able to purchase his in England since his company has an office there. You will do well.

Latest posts

Back