INR-cranberry juice study

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been telling everyone it was cleared along time ago yet, Doctors and Clinics are STILL telling people NO YOU CAN'T. Straight from the pros at the Texas Heart Institue:

Answer:

by Texas Heart Institute cardiologist, Atasu K. Nayak, MD

Thanks for the question. For a mechanical aortic valve, your INR should be between 2 to 3 unless you have stroke or any hypercoagulable state. Please consult your cardiologist about adjustment of the blood thinner dose. It is important to avoid alcohol, aspirin, garlic, ginseng, few antibiotics, diets that contain vitamin K, and cranberry juice. There are no symptoms to know high or low INR. Very high INR can cause bleeding. You need regular monitoring of your INR and follow up with your cardiologist.

And people wonder why I'm so down on Doctors. They keep propagating myth to this very day.

Things keep going the way they are, bread and water will be all there is to binge on. Wait a minute, maybe not even bread!

Watch out for pie crust. :)

Bill:

Didn't your mom make "pie crust cookies" for you as a kid??? MMMMMMMMM good with sugar sprinkles and cinnamon on them, then baked.....

I thought they were treats. Years later I realized she was probably scrimping and using the leftover tidbits of pie dough was probably cheaper than buying or making cookies.

Ketchup and spaghetti, must be a Canadian thing cause my nephew does the same thing - gives more of a tomato taste. My son uses hot sauce.

Now for these Pie Crust cookies.......I'll have to give it a try.

Pie crust cookies must be amazingly like "short bread" cookies, which are very yummy! I guess when I am really broke, I will try the spaghetti and catchup thing. Usually, however, I prefer my spaghetti sauce with some chunks of tomatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms.

Attachments

• carolinasauce_2107_3038867.jpg
    carolinasauce_2107_3038867.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 79
Binge

Binge

I've never noticed cranberry juice affecting my INR despite the fact that I do binge when cranberry juice is readily available...love the stuff. The truth of the matter is that the amount of cranberries in products like Ocean Spray is probably minimal. I saw some kind of comparison on how much cranberry juice is really in Ocean Spray a while back. The report noted lots of sugar, but little cranberry...still love the stuff.

-Philip

I've never noticed cranberry juice affecting my INR despite the fact that I do binge when cranberry juice is readily available...love the stuff. The truth of the matter is that the amount of cranberries in products like Ocean Spray is probably minimal. I saw some kind of comparison on how much cranberry juice is really in Ocean Spray a while back. The report noted lots of sugar, but little cranberry...still love the stuff.

-Philip

Philip:

Percentage of fruit, sugar and water is probably similar to grape juice.

I love cranberry juice -- love the tartness.

From Ocean Spray:

Cranberry Flavored Blend of 3 Juices

It doesn't get more "straight from the bog" than this. 100% Cranberry Juice. Made from the ripest cranberries and blended with other fruit juices with no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors. We don't even add sugar. It's naturally refreshing and full of real fruit flavor and is loaded with Vitamin C.

From GoodGuide:

Package Label Ingredient Data

These are the ingredients listed on the product package label, as reported by the manufacturer. While GoodGuide strives to provide the most complete ingredient information possible, always check the package for the most up-to-date information.

Filtered Water, Grape Juice Concentrate and Cranberry Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

I looked at a recipe for making your own cranberry juice - 1 package of cranberries, 6 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. Ocean Spray uses the Grape Juice instead of adding other types of sugar to cut the tartness of the cranberries. Every harvest has to be carefully measured in terms of natural sugars and the degree of tartness - varies widely from year to year, or bog to bog.

I used to live in a big cranberry producing area in Northern Wisconsin. Wisconsin is the nation's largest producer of cranberries approx. 60% of all cranberries are grown in Wisconsin.

Can you tell... I Cranberries

Attachments

• American cranberr&.jpg
    American cranberr&.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 82
Cris:

Many people buy cranberry COCKTAIL juice, which does contain sugar (high fructose corn syrup). Found the recipe for it at Ocean Spray's website. I'm not sure I've ever bought just straight cranberry juice -- I've just picked up a bottle, paid for it and enjoyed it.

BTW, I once visited the Ocean Spray visitor center in Plymouth MA. Got to taste all kinds of goodies made with cranberries and learned how cranberries grow and are harvested. Recommend a visit there if you're ever in Massachusetts. Right near the Plymouth Rock.

Latest posts

Back