INR after Paracetamol (Tylenol)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyboy14

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello team,

does anyone have experience with how paracetamol (Tylenol) affects your INR?

My INR recently jumped from 2.1 to 3.1 within four days after I started taking paracetamol for tooth ache.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks
Tommy

Hello team,

does anyone have experience with how paracetamol (Tylenol) affects your INR?

My INR recently jumped from 2.1 to 3.1 within four days after I started taking paracetamol for tooth ache.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks
Tommy
Depends on many factors. If you are taking two, every 4 hours, for several days including the day of INR, it will affect it. But if you are taking them 1 every 4 hours, days before INR, it should not affect it as much.

I had the same experience taking Tylenol (acetaminophen here) after my OHS. I was on the maximum daily dose for pain control for a few weeks. When I stopped, my INR dropped, and I needed to increase my dose of Warfarin.

I was told that Tylenol affects the liver's ability to metabolize other drugs, as it's busy trying to clear the Tylenol. As a result, Warfarin takes longer to clear and has a greater effect at a particular dosage.

I had a very painful rib injury in September of this year. For about one week I took maximum dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) 4,000mg/day and about max dose of Ibuprofin (Advil) 2,400mg/day.

By day 4 my INR went up 0.5 from 2.3 to 2.8. It appeared to stay about that level, as I tested on day 7 and it was 2.7. I never adjusted my warfarin dose.

WOW really super helpful. Let me read and digest.

I did indeed start to reduce my dose a bit to account for this.

Thanks
Tommy

I did indeed start to reduce my dose a bit to account for this.
excellent

an old saying here (which I don't verbatim 100% agree with) is to dose the diet.

what I do agree with is that the INR is the only thing that matters, if you are seeing a trend in INR then just move the steering wheel a little by adjusting the dose a little.

over time you'll get a feel for "by how much" but there is a method of informing that too

As a one off paracetamol does not affect my INR.
However last time I had a filling it hurt after so I was taking paracetamol for a few days and it definitely affected my INR, think it went up to 4.4 from memory.

Latest posts

Back