Inr 6.5

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take my rat poison, first thing in the morning, and I always have, and I have only missed 2 doses since June 12, 2000. I have not had to change my dose for about 4 months. I am currently in the appellate stage with my HMO, to try to get one of the Pro Time machines. I was denied because the machine is considered a "convenience item" I agree, its a convenience that I am tired of living without. I'm jealous of y'all that have the machine. If I do win the appeal, I'll let you all know.

I had my INR checked at the Coumadin clinic and it matched well what the Protime measured. I've kept my INR within bounds even though I'm changing medication right now- - medication known to affect INR. I won't go back to Coumadin clinic for a couple of months since I've kept my INR so stable. This Clinic does NOT support home monitoring, but is a useful check for me. The nurse there told me that since I was so forgetful and distracted that taking Coumadin first thing in the AM is OK for me, since it was more important to get Coumadin every day than to risk missing it as I surely do and have done for years with any medication that needs additional daily doses.

I wish success to those of you waiting to hear from your insurance. Since there is no local INR measurement, the Protime for me is not a convenience but a necessity. That of course is not a winning argument for insurance coverage.

My INR goes up when I go tanning!

My INR goes up when I go tanning!

Before my winter vacation I usually go tanning so that I don't burn. I normally see an increase in my INR. Also when on vacation my INR goes up due to alcohol intake (best rumrunners in Florida) and due to hot weather and exposure to sun. I worked for a group of cardiologists for four years as a certified medical assistant before I changed careers. Part of my duties was to work with Coumadin patients one day per week. On my day, one of my patients was a woman my age who was an RN. We compared notes a lot, and she encountered the same changes in INR as I did when exposed to sun, alcohol, and heat. I find that this medication is affected by absolutely everything under the sun! LOL

Latest posts

Back