Infection?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

While I was in the hospital pre op, the Dr.'s put me on a antibiotic as a prevention.
A few weeks earlier, I had a tooth break. Small pieces of the tooth were still in my gum, and I didn't get to the dentist yet.
I was told the antibiotic would kill any infection which may come up.
Question: is this prevention because of the mechanical valve being new? Are infections something that I would have to look out for, from now on? Would an infection later down the line be less dangerous ?I'm just trying to learn about the new valve.

Thanks , Jimmy

Hi

well to answer this I'll clear up a few points which are simplifications which lead to misunderstandings. Simplifications are quite tricky because they provide answers to people who don't really understand any of it (eliciting a "oh, ok" response when 90% often is beyond actual understanding of the patient)

Jimmyk;n877713 said:
While I was in the hospital pre op, the Dr.'s put me on a antibiotic as a prevention.....I was told the antibiotic would kill any infection which may come up.

first the better word is prophylactic not prevention ... you can still get a pregnancy even if a condom is used. and prophylactic is actually the correct word used for the use of antibiotics in this manner.

Second, this is a simplification. Antibiotics do not kill bacteria pretty much only your body does that. What antibiotics do is prevent bacteria from multiplying faster than your body can kill them (and thus getting out of control).

It may seem like splitting hairs but its not when you start burrowing down into then taking the statements and extrapolating them.

Question: is this prevention because of the mechanical valve being new? Are infections something that I would have to look out for, from now on? Would an infection later down the line be less dangerous ?I'm just trying to learn about the new valve.

well the main fear has many uncertainties and indeed there is thus debate about if its important. Most will adhere to the 'precautionary principle" and administer antibiotics because "it can't hurt" ... rather like seatbelts or airbags; 99% of the time they do nothing, but IF circumstances conspire they can make a difference.

The main issue is not the valve but all the disturbance to what was a smooth (protectively lined) blood vessel which has now had a cut and a bunch of penetrative stitches put there. The stitches themselves (as well as the sewing ring around the valve) can (note word of uncertainty) be a site for bacteria to adhere to and grow. Its not the valve surfaces themselves which are the likely culprits here.

Over time (healing) the inside of the blood vessel (the artery) will recover itself with cells and there will be less risk of a bacteria lodging there (but note not none). It is for this reason that many practitioners adhere to the idea of giving antibiotic cover to a patient just prior to invasive dental procedures (such as dental subgingival cleans) which stir up all the bacteria in the mouth and provide excellent access to the vascular system through the damage to much surface area of gums during cleans.

Lastly, infections at any stage post surgery are dangerous ... serious dangerous.

HTH

Thanks Pellicle,
I've called a few dentists already and was told that there are special precautions to be taken when someone is on Warfarin.
That's one of the questions I'll have for the cardiologist on Tuesday .

Jimmyk;n877750 said:
I've called a few dentists already and was told that there are special precautions to be taken when someone is on Warfarin..

There are? Perhaps for extractions they may need to be more aware of bleeding, but this is unrelated to infection. I've never heard of any infection related issues with respect to warfarin...what were they?

Best Wishes with the dental work :)

Back