Infection and myocardial weakening

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jessica_B.

Hi everyone!

To make a long story short, in early 1994 I had myocarditis, endocarditis and pericarditis. I recovered with a slightly weakened myocardium. I have had problems with arrhythmia and valve disease so I have a pacemaker and have undergone DVR.
In mid-June I was diagnosed with a severe respiratory infection (resistant staphylococci pneumoniae) and a few days ago my cardiologist began suspecting a serious weakening of the myocardium.
Can a serious infection which does not directly involve the heart still put so much strain on the myocardium that a previous slight weakening of the myocardium is made significantly worse?

I hope anyone of you might have some insight! Thanks in advance!

/Jessica

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi Jessica!
welcome! I am new too. I posted the same day as you.
I am sorry I can not give you any advise as I not have the same issue as you. However, i would ike wish you the best of luck! Hope you find some answers.

Welcome Jessica

Welcome Jessica

This is a wonderful website with so much wonderful information from those who know.

I can't help you with your particular problems, but I'm sure that others will come along soon to help.

My husband has two mechanicals and just had a repair on his mitral. He had rheumatic fever as a teen.

I have a fairly rare lung condition IPF-UIP which causes a pneumonitis with fevers and pneumonia symptoms and advancing lung disease. It's quite difficult to diagnose, and has been misdiagnosed frequently. From "perfect lungs" from the primary care physician to "congestive heart failure" at the ER. An open lung biopsy confirms a putative diagnosis.

My understanding is that the heart pushes blood through the lungs. Lung resistance in my case causes right ventricular failure. I exercise so that my body uses oxygen efficiently- - is good for anyone, especially cardiac and pulmonary patients. However, I exercise within limits of maximum heart rate (even with my atrial fibrillation) and minimum blood oxygen levels of 88%, so as to not damage my heart. That is an absolute must. Superimposed infections exacerbate the lung resistance, hence I'm placed on prophylactic antibiotic.

The only drug for IPF-UIP is interferon gamma which costs $60K/year because of its investigational status.

I hope this helps. It's my experience and what the pulmonologist and pulmonary therapists have advised me.
STRAYZE

Hi Jessica_B!

In 1999 I had endocarditis and had a valve replacement.
It was caused by a staph infection in my blood. I have read
alot about this bug.
You may want to check out American Heart and Stoke foundation web site or other Heart website. They do offer
good information.

Hope this helped you.

:) JBriau

Latest posts

Back