Inexpensive CoaguChek XS meters

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I don't know if many of you have read about some inexpensive CoaguChek XS meters on eBay, so I'm writing this now, in case any of you want a meter, or a backup meter.

There are vendors on eBay who are selling used CoaguChek XS meters for as low as $25. These meters are missing the battery cover, and the plastic cover that helps slide the strip into the meter.

There seem to be quite a few.

My guess is that a company that had an anticoagulation service, has asked for them back from its customers. They removed these two parts to 'disable' them, and to obviously show that they're used. They may not have expected these to hit ;eBay or another reseller (or maybe they did).

It's also possible that the XS meters are being pulled off the market so they can be replaced by the newer InRange meters. (Vantus meters may also be coming into the market). This may make sense to Roche (if they're the ones that pulled back their meters), so that they can bring the new meters to market, touting the new digital features and minor UI enhancements, and begin making a lot of profit from these newer models (that still use the standard XS strips).

It may not be too difficult to craft a new cover out of cardboard or a sheet of plastic, and tape it on. I haven't tried testing without the strip guide, but don't expect this to be much of a problem.

I bought one of these meters (for $30, including shipping), and will test it against my other XS, a lab, and possibly against my Coag-Sense meter. If there are differences in accuracy, I'll report this in another post.

HOWEVER - these meters were made to handle thousands of tests. Controls are built in, assuring accurate testing. Code chips are shipped in each lot of strips, and a quality control test is done on each strip before the testing is started.

Aside from the missing parts (probably non-essential, anyway), these 'used' meters are probably a safe buy.

I've had my used meter since around 2014 or so - I wouldn't be surprised if the meters that these vendors are selling (two different vendors) are newer than the one I've had for 7 years. If I can figure out whether or not there are date codes that can be interpreted by this mortal, I may wind up swapping battery cover and strip guide from the 'older' meter to the newer one.

The offer on eBay is currently available (October 9 2021). I have no idea how long these meters will be available at this price.

The meter arrived today. The screen was scratched but readable.

The seller may have turned it on, but without the little blue cover, it won't do a test. There's a small notch on that cover that triggers a switch on the monitor, allowing a test to be run. I didn't get a close look, but there may even be a small piece of electronics (like, perhaps, a wire that connects two contacts.

Test results were only .1 apart.

I also tested using my Coag-Sense and got a result that was 1.1 LOWER than the CoaguChek XS.

The lab was already closed when I ran the three tests. I'll get my blood drawn tomorrow.

Summary: If any of you are looking at buying these meters, be aware that they won't run a test without that blue strip guide. Roche (or whoever) intentionally removed the strip guide to disable it. I doubt that Roche will send out many of those strip guides - they dumped them for a reason, and probably won't support anyone who tries to get away with a very inexpensive meter.

I just heard from the seller. She claims that they put a plastic piece into the strip area that makes the meter usable. I've checked this out - there's a small tab that the standard blue strip guide presses on to tell the meter that the guide is in place.

If that little tab isn't pressed, the meter can't run a test.

The vendor claims that they put a piece of plastic in there to trigger the switch, but mine came without one. I found that you can even take a used strip, cut it so that it will push the switch down, and leave it in place, you will be able to run tests.

Or you can see if Roche will send a strip guide. For the price of the meter, even considering the lack of battery cover (not a big deal as long at the batteries don't slip out), and the lack of a strip guide, this is a pretty good buy.

(FWIW - I only paid $30 for my meter. The screen was scratched - but readable. But for $30, what did I expect?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back