Indoor triathlon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

I did an indoor triathlon today, a short, short one. 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike, 15 minute run. At 70, I was the oldest by far. I'm a lifelong runner, unable to run any more due to arthritis. And I've never been much of a biker with 7 month long winters in my area. That leaves one event where I can concentrate on improving. There were 27 people. I was #26 of 27 in the run (which I walked mostly). #24 of 27 in the bike. I suppose I might have been able to improve that by one place had I not dawdled in transition and started 2 minutes late. But I was #15 of 27 in the swim, despite being twice the age of most of them. I have my masters swim team coaches to thank since age and size did not hamper me as much as poor technique held the rest of them back.

Jack - You continue to be an inspiration to the rest of us. I swim like a rock, so tri's are our for me. I would enjoy the combo run/walk and bike, though.

Heck, I'm only 70, so maybe there's hope for me, too!

I signed up for another one May 6 in Clifton Park, NY, but only the swim portion is inside this time. 350 yds in the YMCA pool, 10.8 mi bike and 5 km run. I did this one last year and finished dead-ass last, which I am likely to repeat. The only saving grace being there was no other entrant over 70 in 2017, so there's a high probability of an age group award.

I've been going to master's swim practice twice a week for the past year and have improved my stroke quite a bit. Form, not so much speed.

Amazing and congrats on your triathlon! I, and am sure several others here, find it very inspiring. Good luck on your next one also.

Back