Indoor triathlon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

I did an indoor triathlon today, a short, short one. 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike, 15 minute run. At 70, I was the oldest by far. I'm a lifelong runner, unable to run any more due to arthritis. And I've never been much of a biker with 7 month long winters in my area. That leaves one event where I can concentrate on improving. There were 27 people. I was #26 of 27 in the run (which I walked mostly). #24 of 27 in the bike. I suppose I might have been able to improve that by one place had I not dawdled in transition and started 2 minutes late. But I was #15 of 27 in the swim, despite being twice the age of most of them. I have my masters swim team coaches to thank since age and size did not hamper me as much as poor technique held the rest of them back.

Jack - You continue to be an inspiration to the rest of us. I swim like a rock, so tri's are our for me. I would enjoy the combo run/walk and bike, though.

Heck, I'm only 70, so maybe there's hope for me, too!

I signed up for another one May 6 in Clifton Park, NY, but only the swim portion is inside this time. 350 yds in the YMCA pool, 10.8 mi bike and 5 km run. I did this one last year and finished dead-ass last, which I am likely to repeat. The only saving grace being there was no other entrant over 70 in 2017, so there's a high probability of an age group award.

I've been going to master's swim practice twice a week for the past year and have improved my stroke quite a bit. Form, not so much speed.

Amazing and congrats on your triathlon! I, and am sure several others here, find it very inspiring. Good luck on your next one also.

Latest posts

Back