In case of Zombie Apocalypse, natural alternative to warfarin/aspirin? Just for fun

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Ok this one is way out in left field, kinda goofy, and is just for fun. With bath salts and people eating each other recently, it appears a Zombie Apocalypse may or may not be upon us. Ok, maybe not, but more realistically, imagine you end up stranded for weeks in the wilderness. You have no access to your prescription of aspirin (in my case with a tissue valve) or Coumadin. I know that these drugs may have some natural extracts, and there are naturally occurring blood-thinners in the wild. Of course it would be dangerous and stupid to switch to herbal alternatives without consulting a doctor, but what could you find in nature if no alternative was present? Disclaimer: Most of us are not doctors and the info could be totally wrong, but it is an interesting question, if you can find any info.

Hi Scotty,

Actually, I have thought about this myself, although more in the case of hurricanes/earthquakes/power-outages disrupting normal hours or supply chains at the local drug store, now that I'm dependent on warfarin.
I would feel more comfortable having a month or two supply in reserve, but haven't yet been able to work that with my prescriptions being filled month-to-month on a "just-in-time" supply philosophy.

But, you might want to check out this page at University of Michigan Health:
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/umherb04.htm

According to UMich., grazing on garlic-ginger marinated alfalfa might help if the zombies take over the local CVS.
Plus, the garlic will help to repel vampires ;-)

See also:
http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~williams/herbalremedieswarfarin.pdf

P.S. - perhaps this thread would be more appropriate in the anti-coagulation section.

Scotty,
Maybe plan for emergencies or zombies by stockpiling a small stash of your meds.

Take care of zombies with a "Double tap"

John

I asked my doctor to write a script for a double dose so I could cut them in half and save money. She just wrote "dose per clinic" on the script. I don't need to reorder but I am going to get a few months worth before I only order what I need. It's a pain to go on vacation with only a few days worth of pills when they are not ready to fill my script. With that said, you made me think to take more than I need with me when I go out of town.

Ok this one is way out in left field, kinda goofy, and is just for fun. With bath salts and people eating each other recently, it appears a Zombie Apocalypse may or may not be upon us. Ok, maybe not, but more realistically, imagine you end up stranded for weeks in the wilderness. You have no access to your prescription of aspirin (in my case with a tissue valve) or Coumadin. I know that these drugs may have some natural extracts, and there are naturally occurring blood-thinners in the wild. Of course it would be dangerous and stupid to switch to herbal alternatives without consulting a doctor, but what could you find in nature if no alternative was present? Disclaimer: Most of us are not doctors and the info could be totally wrong, but it is an interesting question, if you can find any info.

I wouldnt worry too much about it in your case, since your young and you have a tissue valve. Many people with tissue valves, dont take aspirin, after the first few months, especially if they are younger than 50, or what ever the age, many docs thing everyone should take aspirin "just because"

Interesting and very good perspectives thus far. It does seem practical to try to have an extra stockpile of meds, because stuff really can happen, all zombies aside.

Hi Scotty,

Actually, I have thought about this myself, although more in the case of hurricanes/earthquakes/power-outages disrupting normal hours or supply chains at the local drug store, now that I'm dependent on warfarin.
I would feel more comfortable having a month or two supply in reserve, but haven't yet been able to work that with my prescriptions being filled month-to-month on a "just-in-time" supply philosophy.

But, you might want to check out this page at University of Michigan Health:
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/umherb04.htm

According to UMich., grazing on garlic-ginger marinated alfalfa might help if the zombies take over the local CVS.
Plus, the garlic will help to repel vampires ;-)

See also:
http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~williams/herbalremedieswarfarin.pdf

P.S. - perhaps this thread would be more appropriate in the anti-coagulation section.

Depending upon how your doctor has written your Rx, you may be able to purchase an addition 30/60/90 day supply by paying for it yourself rather than going through your insurance. If the peace of mind is worth the money to you, you could even ask your doctor for an Rx just for the purpose. Go to a pharmacy and have it filled and pay for it.

Were I on coumadin and in your situation, that is what I would do. That peace of mind is huge IMO

DH and I travel from time to time and I never leave home without at minimum ten extra days of our necessary meds. However long we will be gone, I add meds for 10 - 14 extra days, just in case. My insurance has permitted us to refill about 5 -10 days in advance of actually running out and for months, I carefully watch refill date and have accumlated a bit of a backup in case of emergency.

Hi Jkm7,

Depending upon how your doctor has written your Rx, you may be able to purchase an addition 30/60/90 day supply by paying for it yourself rather than going through your insurance

This is my plan, and my doctor has already indicated he will write me a separate prescription for the purpose of getting a 60 or 90 day supply. Checking on various pharmacy prices, it seems Walmart has a deeply discounted price on warfarin whereby I could get a 90 day supply for only $10 for each strength pill. I would need 2 pills of different dose strengths to make the daily amount I need, but even so, $20 for a 90 day supply seems too good to be true. Has anyone used this program to pay for their warfarin, and if so, what's the catch? Clearly, they are hoping you will transfer other prescriptions and buy other more expensive drugs at the same time while you are there, but can you really just buy 90 days of warfarin for $10 per pill strength?

Their $4/$10 for 30/90 day supply program contains the following cryptic disclaimer:
" 9. You may pay less or more than the Program price, depending on the terms of your health plan....."

So, since I don't want this processed through my health insurance (saving that for the normal monthly supply), has anyone tried this Walmart program just telling them that you don't have insurance, or don't want to use the insurance? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Just tell them to not process it through your insurance and don't give them your insurance info. WalMart has a long list of drugs they sell for a very low price. Warfarin is a very inexpensive medication. WalMart is perfectly reliable place to fill your Rx.

In regard to getting back up supply of all our Rx meds, I keep in mind to not accumulate too much because we could be stuck with them if doctors change our prescriptions. I like to have peace of mind of having spare supply but an amount within reason. Also, be careful to use the oldest meds first. Rotate them so none get too old and out of date.

Lionheart;n765564 said:
Scotty,
Maybe plan for emergencies or zombies by stockpiling a small stash of your meds.

Take care of zombies with a "Double tap"

John

Jezuz I wish I'd met up with you John

"double tap" ... just gold

double-tap.png

Quite the zombie post on...er....zombies...

isnt aspirin from willow bark originally and chewed by the egyptians a few thousang yrs ago for toothache (which I imagine they had a lot of)?
And if we can stomach some mouldy clover hay then us mechanicals will be good to there too....

Warrick;n884665 said:
Quite the zombie post on...er....zombies...

indeed ... but I couldn't resist.

isnt aspirin from willow bark originally and chewed by the egyptians a few thousang yrs ago for toothache (which I imagine they had a lot of)?

to the best of my knowledge yes, that's correct.

And if we can stomach some mouldy clover hay then us mechanicals will be good to there too....

hay ...

Hay!!

Nudge nudge

Latest posts

Back