Impending Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Roy

Hello to all. I am currently scheduled to have
aortic valve replacement surgery with probable
multiple (certain one, maybe up to three)CABGs at Cleveland Clinic on the 12th of
Nov. I am somewhat concerned at the potential
length of the surgery given all that they have to
do. Have any of you "veterans" had AVR w/CABGs?
If so, what can I expect? I would appreciate any
information you can give me, particularly concerning length of surgery and post-surgery recovery time. Also, my wife plans on driving me home to Florida (slowly, I hope) is that feasible? Thank you, Roy

Hi Roy,

Sorry I can't answer your question about the CABG with AVR. We do have a few 'veterans' that have had both proceedures at once. Sure they will be along very soon to answer your questions.

During your drive home make sure you get out of the car very frequently. This will prevent you from having circulation concerns. Ask your surgeon how soon you can make a drive of that length. Also his recommendations.

Take care. See you on the other side.

Hi Roy, Welcome

Hi Roy, Welcome

Hi Roy-

Just wanted to welcome you to the site. It's a wonderful place that will give you lots of info., as well as support in the last days before your surgery. You'll be very comfortable with the warmth and friendliness of the people here. I can't help you with the particular question you had about AVR and CAGB's, but I'm sure someone will come along who can help.

Ask all the questions you can think of, we'll try to help.

My husband is the patient here, he's had 3 open heart surgeries, has a pacemaker, and has also had 2 lung operations.

Believe Joan had them both. She'll see these posts and jump right in here. Welcome to the forum. Homosassa Springs! Used to live in Arcadia (20 yrs) and now in DeFuniak in panhandle. Cool down there today? It's in 30's here this morning, so bet you are in 50's.

This is a wonderful site. I had bypass 3/01. My hosp stay was 6 days and recovery was quick enough. About a mo after surgery I was in pretty good shape. Could drive by then and walk pretty well, but stayed very careful with myself for quite a good year, as that is the time the surgeon said it would take to FULLY recover. The visibleness of the surgery was the most surprising to me, i.e. the chest staples and leg staples, bringing to mind the fact that indeed something awesome had occurred in there somewhere.

As stated above by Gina, stop often to make sure circulation is kept right and you will need to rest a lot, so lie back in your seat and enjoy the ride. I wish you the very best and you are in my prayers. If your wife can let us know how you are, please ask her to do so. We will wait here for your return and hope you will stay with us to relate to those who come after you and to compare notes with those who have gone over the mountaintop before you.

Godspeed

Welcome Roy!

Welcome Roy!

Hey Roy,

About the car ride after heart surgery.... I took a little ride.

I had my mitral valve replaced in Denver, an 8 hour drive from my house. My surgeon was not happy about releasing me on day 5... especially knowing I was driving home. (I literally begged him) What concerned him as much as the eight hour drive, was that I would be driving over Wolf Creek Pass (11,000 feet in elevation). Then I remember him asking what my ?easy ride? was. lol ...it was tough convincing him that my Explorer was an ?easy ride?. I thought Vergil was gonna have to take him for a ride! After lots of conversing.. And promising we?d make the trip in two days.. he finally released me. I had an appointment in Durango .... which is on the way home... still an hour to go from there. We got there just in time for the appointment with my Cardio... he really freaked. But he said I was okay... ?go home and stay there for a while? he told me with a smile. lol

My brother-in-law (also lives here in Cortez) had double bypass surgery in Denver Monday, they released him and he made the trip home all in one day...... day 4! He?s recovering here at my house and doing fine. I should say that I was 39 at the time, my bro.-in-law is 54.

I certainly wouldn?t recommend an eight hour drive on day 4 after heart surgery. I think if you talk it through with your doctor he?ll help you make the decision of what is safe and what is not. If you do travel please take it slow and make sure you walk often. And what ever you do ...... DON?T TRY TO OPEN ANY CONVENIENCE STORE DOORS!! OUCH!! WOW.... I only tried that once... from that point on.. I didn?t even open the car door!

Welcome to our vr.com family.. Rain

Cabag and AVR

Cabag and AVR

Hi Roy
Just saw your post..Yup I had my aortic vlave replaced and also had triple bypass 4 weeks ago. Like you I was looking for someone who had both proceedures. Everyone here has has either one or another you and I are rare:) I live in Raleigh NC and had my surgery at Duke. I had been considering going to Cleveland and it was a very hard decision for me..then Sept. 11 happened and we decided to stay with Duke.
It has all worked out well. I think that the primary diference in having both proceedures other than just the AVR..is the lengeth of pump time (I was on pump about 3 hours) and the fact that you also end up with some leg sutures that the others don't get. My surgeon used my internal mamery artery and harvested my leh veins from my thigh..using minimum invasive technique. I must say I had very little pain..my leg staples bothered me more than my chest ones.I would say that the recovery process is very individual. I am 70 years old and was very deconditioned before surgery dur to having to limit activity due to shortness of breath..so it is going to take me a bit longer to get back into shape than someone who was more active before surgery. I also had my right lung collapse the day after surgery..but that didn't seem to impeed the healing process. I left the hospital on day 6. I will start rehab in about another 10 days. Please feel free to email me and I will send you my phone # if you would like it . I would be happy to help you in any possible way that I can. This is a wonderful group of people here..I would have been lost without them. The info has been invaluable..and the support the greatest!!
By the way any typos and spelling mistakes you may see here..has nothing to do with being a "pumphead" I am just a lousy typist and speller!! LOL
Joan:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

hi roy!
welcome to this site. it's a great place for support, info. and especially kindness. everyone here is amazing.

although i come to this site primarily because my husband had a RP, my dad who is 2 years older than you had avr along with cabg's. he had it done at st.francis heart hospital on long island, ny. he was in the hospital for 5 days and his biggest complaint was that his leg sutures bothered him. his recovery was very uneventful and right on target. he went to rehab at 6 weeks and is now 2 1/2 yrs post -op. he is an avid golfer, but used to be a ranked tennis player at one time and a runner. i've seen him pick up a raquet once in awhile to play with grandkids, and he runs every so often. if anything holds him back it's that he is not interested in either anymore and that he's getting older. golf is his passion.

i vaguely remember his surgery taking about 5 -6 hours (i can't be sure because they had an emergency in recovery that day and we were worried about why it was taking so long. ironically, he had been in recovery for some time before that, so we suspect it was more on the 5 hr side).

i would worry more about the car ride home. i hope you don't have a bumpy car, because i know that can cause discomfort. the thought of your trip home makes me want to cringe. also as gina said, please make sure you get out and move around. try and keep your legs elevated too.... ask dr all the questions and precautions to take for the ride. i bet it will be fairly uncomfortable for you. wouldn't you even consider a quicker flight home?( can't say i blame you).

i wish you the best on the 12th. please keep us posted and keep coming back.
God bless and be well,
sylvia

Impending surgery

Impending surgery

Just had my surgery on Spetember 13, 2001. Avr only and now getting ready to go back to work Thursday, Nov.1. It does take time to heal. so don't rush it. Chest still get stiff from activities. It will heal in time. Had cleaned my apartment on Saturday, with a lot of energy. Was surprised at myself, had not done a lot for some time. Always before, had to take my time. You will feel better in no time. Just don't rush. You will heal up in time. just hang in there.

Caroline
09-13-01
Arotic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Thank you all for your responses. I much appreciate your words of wisdom. There's nothing like having been there to provide perspective. The members seem to be a very caring and concerned group. I've learned a lot already. AVR w/multiple CABGs scheduled at CCF for 11/12/01. I'll keep you informed. Regards, Roy

mitral valve repair

mitral valve repair

Roy,
I'm having MV repair surgery at CCF on Nov 6th, 7th., or 8th. all depends on the tests of the 5th. The surgery is being done by Dr. Cosgrove. (the best) I wish you well in your surgery and recovery.
As the Britts say... we have to keep a Stiff Upper Lip!

Here's too you!

Here's too you!

Wishing you all the best from Chicagoland! We'll be here for ya, when you get home.

Rain, we gotta talk more. No hurry, though. My son might be moving to Durango (next fall?). He's a Sophomore at a local Illinois Jr. College and a buddy of his in Durango is challenging him to move out there. Ok by me. If he allows mom and dad to help him move, we should try to connect if we come out.

Hang tough, Roy and stay out of the trick-or-treater's candy!

Back