I'm So Vain - Scar Healing Products

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the support everyone, I will give the mederma a go after it has healed up on its own for a while.

I do look really white in my photo, I guess I am at the minute, but probably jsut cos I haven't had a holiday in 2 years, and I'm not really the sunbathing type - I get restless - But I do tan and go brown, so I will try and get some sun or go to Spain or summin as soon as I can :)

Knightfan - clear your private message inbox

Okay, if I'm honest I don't like the idea of taking a girl home and taking my top off to reveal a nasty scar.. I imagine it to be quite a passion killer...

:) Hey, as a girl with a pretty impressive sternotomy scar, I can't say it's ever been an issue. The trick is to make sure their mind is otherwise occupied.. ;) :D :D Mind you, one summer I had been wearing a crop top and had a rather distinct tan line (I tan ridiculously easily); it was the first time my new BF and I had reached that point and he made some comment about how I looked like a quartered orange :rolleyes: I just told him I was every bit as sweet and got on with more "pressing matters"..!! :D

As far as what us girls think about guys with scars, most of us couldn't care less. As long as you're funny and caring and honest and confident, the rest is all a bonus :) Any chick that does have an issue with it is clearly shallow and not worth your time anyway. It really is a great way to sort out the heros from the zeros!

Having said that, I'm still interested in ways to minimise my scar as much as I can after my December surgery, but I'm still happy to live with it... and yeah, it's great to come up with outrageous stories to explain it :D I'm even thinking of having a post-op party along the lines of Frankenstein's Monsters & Super Freaks since I'll be part-person, part-pig with all the freaky scars to match ;) :D

Meanwhile - go get 'em tiger!!!

A : )

I jokingly tell people I got it in a knife fight...and you should see the other guy :D Nobody believes me, but it's fun to tell.
I like this one...Wayne. If I were a guy, I would use it for sure;)

Hi Dan. When I first realized I was in for this surgery, I was so happy to have someone who could save my life that I didn't care about the scar I was going to get. I was rather looking forward to it. Badge of honor stuff, I guess.

However, when it "hypertrophied" and kept being tender into the 2nd year, I got really frustrated. So this stupid scar has had me at its mercy for 2 years. Like Wayne (;)) I tried everything topical. Nada.

Now, approaching my 3 year "valversary" in April, my scar is actually starting to improve on its own. At least the top part (and the darn thing is only 4 inches long anyway!!). I can see the pretty white line the surgeon made underneath the lightened reddness.

So what can I attribute this to? Well. The one thing I did NOT do which I feel I should have done once the scar had healed was to massage it gently, daily. You see, the skin hypertrophies (keloid is a very strong word for the red, ropey look many of us get) because it is confused about healing. The blood stops circulating properly there and the skin freaks out. I wouldn't massage it because I am a wuss and it hurt too much. So about 6 months ago I went to my acupuncturist and she said she would have a go at it with her needles, coaxing the area to improve its blood circulation. Well, I can't afford many visits, but the few that she did seemed to really get the thing turned around and headed into a disappearing act. Now I need to go back and get going on the bottom half. I am also massaging it. And, I'm using a loofah very gently to remind the skin that it can continue to rejuvinate properly. It's not great, but it really is better. Maybe just time.

I would venture to guess that people who use Mederma as soon as they can, and have their scars disappear, would have had their scars disappear without the Mederma. It does help to flatten things out and lighten them. I was using it for quite awhile and did notice a difference, but then my skin broke out and I had to stop. The sternum is notorious for improper healing and scarring. Some people are just really lucky and end up with just a thin white line, no bumps, no red.

Another thing I wonder about is the fact that my surgeon used glue to fuse my cut together. No stitches on the outside at all. I think that the glue may have confused the skin as well...literally gotten in the way of the healing. Anyone else have no stitches? Just curious.

So Dan. You think you're over-thinking the scar thing? Not really. It's totally understandable. Strength is such an important quality in today's world; we don't want to be judged unfairly because of what might appear to be a physical weakness. Don't be hard on yourself about it. It's gonna bug you until the right person comes along and makes you realize that it is so very honestly no big deal. But we may not be those right people. So you may have to be somewhat obsessed by the mark you're gonna get. I mean, it really sounds like you have personally accepted that you're just gonna feel kinda wierd about it. It's an unknown right now, and not a pleasant unknown. It's something you can't control, and we all hate not being able to control things. I think your questions and concerns are quite valid! I don't think they are petty at all. But luckily, I do think that once it is all said and done, you will find that your concerns are generally unfounded.

You do know now that you can come here and show the thing off in a few weeks and we'll all go oooooooo and aahhhhhh and cooooolllll when we see it!!

Wishing you a good journey.

Marguerite

I have to agree with most people here...wear it as a badge of honor. However, I did have a little "mourning" period after my AVR...because after my AV repair as a 5-year old, the scar was horizontal and not vertical, and I naively assumed they would do the same for the AVR. So, as a girl who likes to wear V-necks, I saw myself in for a life of turtlenecks (which, luckily, I also like to wear).

But, as abbanabba pointed out, having the scar is definitely an excellent way to sort out the wheat from the chaff, as it were. Anyone who has a problem with it, would have a problem with me and must therefore be dismissed.
My most wonderful DH has even followed suit in my calling her Scarlett...my own little way of referring to my new friend-for-life, the scar.

So it's not vanity...it's just a new improved you that you (and everyone else) has to deal with and get used to. It'll be easier than you think...and I have actually come to enjoy the different reactions. Some look and then look away and pretend they weren't looking...some come right out and ask "so what happened?"...some ask a friend of mine what happened...it's like I'm my own social experiment :D

(BTW I'm totally trying the Vitamin E oil and mederma after I go wireless!)

Melis

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I am vain and image conscious :) but I will adjust and get over it, and I'm sure ill be on the beach before long anyway. Ill def post some pictures as soon as I get it on here!

Thanks for all the replies!

Another thing I wonder about is the fact that my surgeon used glue to fuse my cut together. No stitches on the outside at all. I think that the glue may have confused the skin as well...literally gotten in the way of the healing. Anyone else have no stitches? Just curious.

Marguerite,

My surgeon glued me closed both my surgeries. He re-opened my original scar for the second surgery. I'm not quite 9 months post op now and my scar is mostly a thin line with almost no redness so I think it varies person to person. I have some thickness at the very bottom but seeing that is beneath my breasts, doesn't matter. I wear my v-necks and scoop necks and hope as time goes by, my scar may fade even more.

The acupuncture approach is really interesting. Hope you are able to arrange for more treatments.

Marguerite,

My surgeon glued me closed both my surgeries. He re-opened my original scar for the second surgery. I'm not quite 9 months post op now and my scar is mostly a thin line with almost no redness so I think it varies person to person. I have some thickness at the very bottom but seeing that is beneath my breasts, doesn't matter. I wear my v-necks and scoop necks and hope as time goes by, my scar may fade even more.

The acupuncture approach is really interesting. Hope you are able to arrange for more treatments.

Oh I am very glad to hear that. Now I can go back to thinking that my surgeon was perfect!! :D

Yes, it is what it is. Some skin types just heal better than others. I like how Melis said she went through a little mourning period. That is exactly it. I guess I turned out to be more vain than I thought so I let the mourning go on abit too long!!! Now that it has stopped being sore (I mean I couldn't even wear some of my favorite jewelry because the bumping and the weight of even a small pendant was actually painful) and changed abit for the better, I'm "letting it out" !

Waiting for that photo, Dan!

Marguerite

I think the scars get worse if you do too much too soon after surgery. It seemed to me like my scar was really small until I started using my chest muscles more like sweeping my floors and vacuuming a little earlier then the doc told me to, then i started getting keloids. It could have been a coincidence though. I tried mederma and vit e and also those Curad sticky pads that go on your scar. the pads seemed to work the best for me. the best solution was time. it's been 8 years since my first surgery and i don't even notice my scar anymore, don't know if anyone else does though. It just doesn't bother me anymore. now i will be getting a new scar again and i will try everything again i'm sure.

Back