I'm hoping my son gets this test!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvalle6

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had to call the "advice" line and speak to one of the cardiologists this weekend because my son didn't feel well and had a "twirly" feeling in his head. I wasn't sure what twirly meant- but I assumed he was dizzy or light headed. So I called.
Anyway- long story short- the cardiologist I spoke to is involved in a study that evaluates BAV and AS through MRI- and they use a drug to induce an excercise like environment in the blood vessels. They monitor the beating heart and vessels through MRI. It would be a great alternative to the tread mill stress test they keep trying to make my son do--since he is seriously self limiting himself now he simply jumps off the treadmill as soon as he gets a little uncomfortable and says he is done.
We all know how I feel about my insurance (and the repeated denials) so I was ecstatic when I found out this was a "study" and did not need an approval.
This is a youtube feed that gives an idea as to what is seen during the test. If he gets this test, they will have a clear, undeniable picture of what is going on... **sigh** because the run-around is getting old.

They're starting to realize that the echo can miss the important stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDd0yIwi15w

Good luck getting in on this study. It sounds like a great opportunity. I haven't been on the board for quite awhile as I've been more on the college search and admission boards (it will come faster than you can imagine!), but I'm glad to see that you might get this break. Hope you and Sammy are doing well. Prayers coming your way.
Jane

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the call-- but I know that I'll be thrilled if he gets it. I believe the test will eliminate all the foot dragging we've experienced.

On another note- two of my other boys are scheduled for echos on Wednesday (tomorrow). Its the "family" check, so hopefully everything is clear. My oldest boy won't have his until next week probably. I'm a little concerned with his possible results since we already had to take him off a medication when he complained of chest pain.

**Update** He got the test done on December 10th. Because it was busy, I wasn't able to see many of the views-but the Dr. says she will get me a CD with images and a synopsis of the findings... I can't wait! He tolerated the test well. I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference- this is new to pediatrics and if I see a difference it might be something other moms could look into... =) We go back in January for another stress test (yes- he had one a few months ago-) So I am hoping to get the CD before or on the day of his appointment.
**sigh** it is demented to be happy when your child gets a test? It feels odd to be excited about it when I would rather not know any of this stuff.

So glad to hear that it worked out and Sammy got the test. I've heard too that the MRI is more accurate than the echo (Matt's MRI numbers actually came in lower than with the echo, so I love MRIs). Best of wishes that the results are good. And hope tests were normal for your two other boys as well. All the best.

Latest posts

Back