I'm back ... but for other reasons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allisoninoz

Well, hi everybody. I haven't been on here for a very long time. Had my Ross back in Feb 2011 and my heart had been pumping along beautifully.
Then, in January this year this year my husband and I separated. I had no idea he was unhappy (nor that he was having an affair), found out in a horrible way, and was utterly devastated. We had been together for 17 years and I did not see it coming at all.
We had counselling but he had no interest. I didn't eat or sleep for a few weeks and my friends and family were very worried about my emotional and physical state. Here's the short version of what then happened: On 28 February, my GP told me to get to an emergency dept. Luckily she did. I went into cardiac arrest and was revived on and off for about an hour. I was in a coma for a week, and then gradually emerged in an intensive care unit. I had no idea what had happened - assumed I'd been in an accident. My husband was by my bed and I had no idea we had separated - that memory came back to me over a couple of days. He wasn't interested in reconciling. I was in hospital, on the cardiac ward, for another two weeks, and the cardiologists presented me with a new diagnosis of cardiomyopathy.
I was distraught. My cardiologists believe I suffered stress cardiomyopathy as a result of the severe emotional distress. There is a condition called takotsubo, which means, literally, broken-heart syndrome. My ejection fraction was down to 5 in emergency but was 35 at discharge. It's remained about that level. I'm on a mountain of meds. I've been out of hospital for more than two months now. I'm doing cardiac rehab, and am staggered at what has happened to me, and what may lie ahead. My beautiful girl Sophie is now 12. My husband (I use the term loosely) is living away from us. I am returning to work part-time (I have worked for myself for years but can't manage on the inconsistent income). I had been doing so well after the Ross and am now so scared for the future given my serious diagnosis. My only hope is that, somehow, my heart function stays at about this level, or recovers a little more (as sometimes happens in stress-induced).
Interestingly, the echoes I had done showed the surgical repairs done as a child and the Ross were still working perfectly.
I don't want to hear any sad or bad stories about this diagnosis, but I would really appreciate any messages or encouragement out there. It's been a truly terrible four months.
Allison

Last edited:
Bloody hell Allison that is a terrible thing to go through. HOWEVER you've gone through the worst of it and it HAS to get better. Sending hugs your way, you deserve much better.

From Johns Hopkins no less

The good news is that this condition improves very quickly, so if patients are under the care of physicians familiar with this syndrome, even the most critically ill tend to make a quick and complete recovery.

That's my wish for you for your emotional hurt as well which sounds like it was critical. "A quick and complete recovery." A good vision at least. Praying for strength and peace in your heart.

Sorry to hear that you have had so much stress in your life and the resulting heart conditions. I am no therapist but want to tell you about my wife of almost 28 years. My wifes first marriage ended simply by him up and leaving and he told her he didn't love her anymore. She too was devistated. Looking back on it now it was a blessing and it will be for you too. Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. Keep your chin up, put one foot in front of the other, and never look back. You will be a better, stronger, and wiser person for it. You have many happy times ahead of you with your daughter. Live life to its fullest and don't let anyone stand in your way. I hope you feel better soon and your health continues to improve. I will pray for you and your daughter.

Wanted to add my concern regarding your situation without sending any cliches your way as you and your daughter work through this time. I do sincerely pray that you will be blessed and strengthened in ways you never knew possible. :)

Helen

Allison - My heart goes out to you; to be betrayed and hurt in such a way by the person you thought you could trust and rely on the most in this world is a devastating thing. As to your heart healing, have hope. I did not take good care of myself and finally got my AVR when my heart had already suffered serious damage from years of fighting against a stenotic and regurgitating valve. At one point before surgery my LVEF was down to 15. Right after the surgery it was up to 35 or so, and a year later in the mid to upper 40s. I continue to eat right and exercise daily, while focusing on the positive, the love and joy and good things, no matter how small, that happen every day, and fully intend to recover even further, despite the scepticism of my cardiologist. Please remember that despite what you have gone through, there are many people who love you and care about you, even among us virtual strangers out on the net.

Hi, Allison, I can tell you that the articles you have written have given comfort to several people to whom I've shown them. I do hope as your strength returns that you can begin to find your way in this new life. You've suffered a terrible disappointment but there will be good days ahead, especially, with your daughter. You have met life changing challenges before and prevailed and now will do so again. I only regret your friends here are not closer to give you comfort. Take care, Allison.

Larry

Hello Allison,

I have only been on this forum for a few months, but I feel like a have a whole new world of friends. Friends who have similar heart issues to mine...either before surgery or after. I don't know you well, except for your recent post.

You are very strong, whether you realize it or not. You have survived a terrible blow, and the consequential heart health issues. Your strength is there, and your daughter is a way to continue to see the silver lining.

I want to wish you better days ahead.

Sorry to hear of your painful road you have had to travel Allison. In terms of the horrible way in which you were treated, please do know that it gets much better. Having been through a tough divorce with some similarities to yours, I can tell you there were days when I felt as if I was staring off into an abyss, not sure what the future held, and feeling like my life was lost. But I eventually found the love of my life, had a beautiful son with her, and never looked back. And I'm happier today than I ever was. Its cliche, but things do get much better with time. Hang in there. All the best,
Tony

Hi Allison,

I am a relative newbie here, but from your post and those who know you, here at least I'd like to offer my two cents worth; You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

I believe that your road ahead maybe bumpy but that you will adapt and over come to a brighter future.

Gerri

Hi

Then, in January this year this year my husband and I separated. I had no idea he was unhappy (nor that he was having an affair), found out in a horrible way, and was utterly devastated. We

I'm sorry to read of your relationship problem / failure. Sadly it happens to many. I am sure that it just hurts and there is nothing anyone can do or say to make that sadness less.

The only thing I can say here is that if your husband actually loved you then there would have been open and genuine communication between you. Clearly (as there was deception occurring) this wasn't the case. So while there is pain and while you loved your husband I think you deserve to find someone who actually loves you for who you are.

I know that it will hurt for a while, and there will be complications but if you keep thinking back to "I deserve to find someone who loves me in return, someone who really wants to work with me to grow our love together no matter what" then I think it may help you to see that directions can be for good no matter if they feel all bad right now.

Perhaps you know that I'm trying hard to see the opportunities for good in my own situation. My wife was taken from me, and though I know deeply that she did not want to go I have no other choice but to live my life and find what are the good things which can come from this. To me at many times it feels like there is nothing good in her death. However such thinking just leaves me sitting around feeling bad (understatement).

I hope you find the strength to pick up and find your center and see that you are still a good person and that the situation is not about your issues, but about other things (like his issues).

I wish you well on your journey. I know it will not be simple but I'm sure that you have within you the strength you need to emerge from this into a place where you find love and happiness.

Best Wishes

Allison, I have always looked forward to your posts. Of course except the news you have shared. I am sad that you have had to endure the biggest betrayal ever. So now, just try to heal yourself both mentally and physically. Sophie needs you and she will continue to look to you for emotional support. Just let the fool go, he isn't worth a second thought since he has no desire to try and work things out. Down this bumpy road we call life, someone will join you with the support and love you truly need. Sending you lots of huge hugs for you and Sophie:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Allison,

What a devastating thing to have to endure. I grieve with you, and will definitely be in prayer on your behalf. There are few things as stressful as betrayal and a breakdown of the marriage.

God bless you and your daughter.

-Steve

Allison,
I am so sorry you've had such a hideous betrayal and all the pain that went with it. I am glad to hear you are on the healing side this setback. From one woman's experience to another I want to reassure you that there is life and LOVE after such a devastating setback. It takes a long tine to heal, and trust again, but you are resilient and it will happen. Even though it is probably not what you are thinking about, or how you are feeling right now. Take care, be well, Bonny

Life can be very hard. I went through a lot of stress, fears, doubt, and anxiety in the beginning after my surgery, and wondered if I could pull through. Family and friends are important, and you don't need your ex, to pull through. My prayer for you is that you have a compliment of friends that will encourage you and give you strength. You CAN do it, trust me. Did you feel the big Hug I just gave you?

Allison,
I'm so sorry for the painful blows you've had. You have been such a thoughtful, giving person here. I wish you strength and peace as you go forward.

Allison, just keep coming in to talk about anything that is stressful to you, even it might sound silly to you, it is a serious matter to get it all out to distress yourself. I, myself, am on a medication to try to keep a cool head due to work related stress. Hopefully, soon, with the source of the worst of the work stress gone. it will get better. Just come in and let it all out. We are here for you, cry on our shoulders if you feel like it. Thanks for sharing and keep coming back and share what you need to get off the chest, so to speak. Hugs for today. :)

Latest posts

Back