Ibuprofen

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

honeybunny;n874645 said:
Unfortunately, I'm not adept at analyzing these reports. What are YOUR thoughts, pellicle? Valid research?

Well my thoughts go like this:
They say
The scientists determined the normal risk for each patient of suffering a heart attack and compared this with the risk during times of acute respiratory disease and during use of NSA
So depending on how they determined it there could be a magnification of the risk. Their method is not reported.

Assuming one agreed with it then it is a correlation not a causation, meaning there could be other reasons to explain the heart attacks that are not under study (for instance a genetic one for that ethnic group to ibuprofen).

As always the next step would / should be to see if this result is repeatable in other areas by other groups. The article mentions a few that support this.

As an individual my personal response would be to apply precautionary principles and ask myself do I need to be taking ibuprofen when I have a cold.
Meaning is there a benefit to outweigh the risk.

Myself I have never found ibuprofen has any notable effect, so I don't use it.

Now, back to wearing my shoes out in Prague

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/fr\/cp0\/e15\/q65\/17389079_10155110240727498_399548705372278631_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=028278efda5d7c29e96cf23ebb316722&oe=596F02C5"}[/IMG2]

Now I am crushed. When a doc tells me to take Tylenol (acetaminophen), I just laugh and tell him that I may as well eat the buttons off my shirt. It does nothing at all for me. On the other hand, for my arthritis and other random and sundry pain, the only OTC pain med that helps me is ibuprofen. Now you're going to tell me that I shouldn't take that, either. What's left?

I guess I will just have to hide my ibuprofen deep in my luggage when I go back to the U.K.

epstns;n874763 said:
When a doc tells me to take Tylenol (acetaminophen), I just laugh and tell him that I may as well eat the buttons off my shirt. It does nothing at all for me. On the other hand, for my arthritis and other random and sundry pain, the only OTC pain med that helps me is ibuprofen. Now you're going to tell me that I shouldn't take that, either. What's left?.
I had to laugh at eating "buttons off my shirt" - I shall use that expression next time anyone suggests acetaminophen, or rather paracetamol as it's known in the UK. It has never done anything at all for me, ever. Ibuprofen is very good for me for pain but I am not 'allowed' to have it due to a history of duodenal ulcer, so that also excludes aspirin.

When I had my AVR the only pain med which helped was morphine. The dihydrocodeine and tramadol they put me on when I got out of ICU did not work, no matter that I was given more and higher doses - I've since found out that they don't always work for about 10% of patients, something to do with not having a particular liver enzyme. All I got from those meds was bad side effects, including hallucinations and serious gut problems. GP put me on morphine but it was too late as my gut had stopped working properly so I was left with nothing. Cardiologist had the ****** (fill in the stars) to suggest I take paracetamol (acetaminophen) - when I told him it never worked he said you have to take the full dosage every day for a couple of weeks before it kicks in - good grief. Well that's what I did just in case he was right. He was wrong - no pain relief at all.

I have osteoarthritis now too, and recently an ostephyte with bursitis - I took ibuprofen a couple of times so that at least I was pain free enough to sleep a couple of nights when the bursitis was at its worst. I didn't dare take it after AVR though due to the stomach issues it can cause with my 'history'.

Ibuprofen is still available in the UK Steve, it's just the report from Denmark has stimulated discussion about it.

Latest posts

Back