I need to vent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

My whole life I had neck problems but sleeping on my back is killing me. My neck hurts so bad. I took three advil and a vicodin an hour ago and still crying. The surgery has really been a huge pain in my neck, shoulders, and back. I've tried cold wraps, heating pads, different types of pillows, massage and nothing works. Sorry I just need to complain. I thought at 5 weeks the pain would be minor.

I'm sorry you still have so much pain. What position do you normally sleep in? I started sleeping on my side after surgery within 36 hours. I just used a lot of pillows to support me. I even slept on my stomach by 8 weeks.

Debbie

Michele,

I understand! I went through exactly the same thing. My pain was intense, and nothing worked. Sleep was a four letter word. It was common to see me attempting to sleep at mulitple locations thoroughout my house. Almost comical. Once I learned, or was well enough to sleep on my side, did I start doing better. Once I started sleeping, I recovered much better.

One thing that did help me, was I had a nurse visiting me once a week. Really just to check my INR while on coumadin. One day he gave me a back-rub,,,,a good back-rub! I had so many air pockets and such, I thought I was going to pop.

This really helped and somehow, someway, the pain g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y started easing. About 6 weeks I felt pretty good and was my old rambunctios self.

I Hope you well not be too far behind.

Michelle, I hate to tell you, but my back/neck pain lasted for 2-3 months. Constant heat and twice a week massages were the only thing that helped me. Like everything else, with time it will get better.

Kim

Writing this in bold....The pillow you use for various sleeping positions will NOT be the same.
When sleeping on your back it is important to use a thinner pillow and some people enjoy a small towel rolled into a sausage and placed under their neck for extra support in that area.

When side sleeping a thicker pillow is needed to keep the head parallel to the body and give relief to the neck and shoulders.
The head should never be "over supported" so that it is out of alignment with the rest of the back and body.
Hang in there. I used to have a nap during the daytime.

Back pain is best relieved by MASSAGE. A vibrating disk massager can work Wonders in just a few minutes.

MANY of our members found that sleeping in a Recliner for the first few weeks was more comfortable than trying to sleep in bed before the Sternum became more rigid.

You may also want to look for a 'bean bag' cylindrical pillow to place under your neck when sleeping on you back.

Hope you find something that works for YOU.

'AL Capshaw'

When they open up your chest, they pin your arms back to give as much view as possible. This position is held for a long while, and that is why there is so much pain in those areas. It probably strains all the muscles and ligaments and joints. But it is necessary. Many members have had the same thing and they have reported that it took months to go away, even longer than the sternum pain. Al is right, massage has been suggested as one of the things that helps the most.

It's a shame that it isn't discussed prior to surgery. I think it takes many by surprise.

I Had the same type of problems after my surgery. I agree with both the bean bag and the recliner. Some days there was no place I could get comfortable but in the recliner. It will get better with time. Sorry you are hurting.

Neck Pains

Neck Pains

Sounds like you need more vicodin... just kidding. Massage really helped me with the aches and pains I experienced.

I'm not a back sleeper either, but slept for a number of months post-op propped-up on the sofa. It helped me with breathing and kept my lungs clear.

-Philip

Well the pain has subsided I'm now in the hospital. I had a 102 fever and as soon as the fever broke so did the pains. I'll be waiting a while for my blood cultures. Hoping it's just the flu.

OMG, girl!!! No wonder you were miserable!! I'm so glad you got yourself to the hospital. I hope the cultures come back normal. I don't really hope that you have the flu, though!! I was surprised today at Safeway, here, to see that they are already offering flu shots. Seems so early in the season!

Maybe they can give you some of that sweet oxygen ---mmmmm so cool and clean! I loved that silly stuff. Just made me feel safe breathing that cool clean air.

Well dear. For heaven's sake!! Please get better!!

Keep us posted. Sending good vibes your way.....

Marguerite

I had some major back and neck pain after my surgery. I was refered to a physio therapist who was excellent. Over a number of weeks, through massage and various stretching exercises he gave me to do I gradually improved, but after the 1st visit there was a big improvement. I was lucky that the physio I was refered to happened to have spent time working in a hospital cardio ward, so was very familiar with working with people after OHS.

Could have been the flu causing a large portion of that pain. Hope you are getting better now.

Sleeping issues, though, may continue for a while when you get back home. No way I could have slept on my back -- I found the recliner just the thing for me. Took naps as needed.

Hope all will be getting better for you now.

They can't figure it out so I'm probably going to be in here for a few days waiting on blood cultures.

Michelle I had lots of back/shoulder and neck pain too. I found that once I started doing the exercises that they gave me for my neck & shoulders that the pain subsided. I also think walking helped move the gas inside which I feel was the cause for a lol of my pain. Do you do walking 3 times a day?

They can't figure it out so I'm probably going to be in here for a few days waiting on blood cultures.
Have you had an echo or CT scan, looking for any effusions or infection they can see?
I hope it is something easy and you are home and feeling better SOOON

Well, no one ever gets any sleep in a hospital!! Maybe some hot-shot male nurse can give you some neck massage? Maybe they can try some sleeping meds for you? As long as you're in there, USE THEM! How is your fever? Any other symptoms?

Glad you have a computer to keep you company! I had to play solitaire (which was actually a wonderful way to pass the time)-- no in hospital computer when I had my surgery, or at least, I didn't ask for one.

Keep us updated! Have a better day, today!

Marguerite

Hi Michelle - guess we just can't stay out of the hospital. I hope they find out what is wrong soon. I am sorry you are experincing so much neck and back pain. I am fortunate that I have not had any. I am still sleeping in my recliner. It feels better and I can breathe better. I tried the bed last night, but could not get comfortable. I will get back in it soon. Meanwhile, try to enjoy your stay and get better. Good Luck. Pat

Have you had an echo or CT scan, looking for any effusions or infection they can see?
I hope it is something easy and you are home and feeling better SOOON

When I developed my infection after surgery, they did a CT scan the first day I was in the hospital to look for the infection in my chest. Mine turned out to be a superficial infection that a couple of weeks on antibiotics took care of. I hope yours turns out to be the same.

Kim

They done ct, echo, x-rays and lung, gallbladder ultrasounds. Me heart echo looks fantastic and me lungs. Waiting on blood
Cultures and a reading on kidneys and gallbladder. Oh urinalysis still pending. Getting loaded up on anti biotics, blood and steroids

Latest posts

Back