I love working with young people...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
Subtitle: the benefits of self testing:

Theres a nice young lad from here who I've been "advising and guiding" on INR management for some years now. He called me up the other day with a quandary.

He didn't know if he took his dose or not on Friday. He went out and had "a few" with his mates after work. He knew he wouldn't get home in time to take his dose, but he was prepared with his "emergency dose" (in an exhausted pill bottle) that he kept in his backpack for "caught out" occasions.

Sadly however he'd had sufficient drinks that he didn't remember taking the drugs and he'd lost (tossed?) his bottle somewhere and thus had no record of did he take them or not.

He remembered to double check when he got home and finding that he's lost his bottle called me (at 10pm) to ask what should I do.

Cos I was still watching netflix and scrolling the internet it was no biggie, and I said : "well as you don't know either way, lets assume you did and then just measure INR in a couple of days and see if you've gone low or not ... "
"Good idea" he said.
He rang me today and said his INR was 3.2 so he can't have missed his dose (he's a Mitral Valver so 2.5 ~ 3.5) and we went our ways.

He said he was going out with his mates for the weekend (its Saturday) and I said: "have a good weekend mate" and he said "its been a hard week and we're going to the footy" (I'll leave translation of "footy" as an exercise for the reader)

He said he'll call me Tuesday with his next reading...

1616229735731.png

(conversation interpreted from Native Australian to Common English)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back