I just started on the treadmill

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persianlady56

Hello everyone
It's been a long time since I have been back. I'm so glad I really need help with something. I had my aortic valued replaced in 2000 . I have recently started working out on the treadmill . how fast and how long is it ok to go.?also how much time should I spend on it ?I have been doing it 10 mins each morning . is it ok to go twice a day . I am 56 female 5'7 200 lbs . also I have seen the coumadin monitors for home use . will medical from so cal. pay for that?anyone know?I was wondering also when Im on the treadmill im not used to the blood flow so my arms and head starts to ache should I contiue or stop I think I should keep going .thank you all for you time look forward to your feed back Chris

Chris, it is important that whenever you work out on any cardio equipment that you have a heart monitor on (my treadmill and stationary bike have ones built in that reads through the grips or my chest harness {more accurate})
If you went through a cardiac rehab you should know a resting rate and a workout rate peak.

Chris, it is important that whenever you work out on any cardio equipment that you have a heart monitor on (my treadmill and stationary bike have ones built in that reads through the grips or my chest harness {more accurate})
If you went through a cardiac rehab you should know a resting rate and a workout rate peak.
rr

You are right on that. I was pushing my bike hard uphill yesterday and felt really out of it. Thinking i was doing
the tour de france. Almost had to stop and rest. Gonna check out a heart monitor this weekend.

Last edited:
Hello everyone
I am 56 female 5'7 200 lbs . also I have seen the coumadin monitors for home use . will medical from so cal. pay for that?anyone know?I was wondering also when Im on the treadmill im not used to the blood flow so my arms and head starts to ache should I contiue or stop I think I should keep going .thank you all for you time look forward to your feed back Chris

You need to have medical approval for using a treadmill at that weight for your height. Have you asked your cardiac rehab what your heart rate should be at rest and working hard. Mine are 72 and 105 but vary from person to person. You must go very gradually at getting fit or you may cause unnecessary strain on your system, not just your heart. I had an AVR in January and my rehab gave me the preceding figures and I have to exercise for 30 minutes each day. I am 5'9 and weigh 148 lbs and am now fitter than ever.
I personally would not use a treadmill but would get out in the fresh air and walk but perhaps you haven't got the facilities that I have i.e. a beach within 5 minutes walk. At least in Calif you have the climate and shouldn't have too many -14 degrees C to go out in!

Good luck.

Agree you need to make sure to get advice from a doc. But here are some general ideas. When first out of surgery (a week later) the cardio rehab folks have people limit their heart rate to about 20 beats per min (bpm) above their resting rate. That might be a good guideline for you too given that you're just starting to use the treadmill. So if your resting rate is 80 bpm, don't go much above 100 bpm until you're feeling confident you can do more. Then slowly build up from there. The guidelines vary for different ages/weights as far as what a safe range is for your heart rate. For me (49/250 lbs) and at 8 wks post-op, they don't want me above 150 bpm. For those that are new to the treadmill the cardio rehab folks start them slow (about 1.2 mph with no incline) for first 5 min (warmups and cooldowns are important). Make sure to start with your feet on the side, start the treadmill at a slow speed, then start walking on the track and slowly build up the speed to 1.2 mph or whatever speed you want to go. As far as what's safe, you'll just need to keep taking your pulse (or have the machine do it if you've got one of those kind) to see what speed / incline you can tolerate and keep your heart rate in a safe range. You can probably find the safe range guidelines on the internet somewhere (a lot of the machines at the gym have a chart that tells you).

Chris,

Do you hold onto the front or side bars on the treadmill? If so, could you be gripping too hard and also using an unnatural posture that causes the arm and head aches? You could probably do two sessions a day--many of us are told to walk 10 minutes several times a day right after surgery. Just do as the others said, start slow and increase gradually. And use good supportive walking shoes. My sister ruined her feet jumping on the treadmill and starting off at an hour fast when she hadn't been used to exercise.

Good for you for getting started!

Debby

Oh, and forgot to mention the length of time. You don't want to do this until you're comfortable with it, but eventually you want to be at 20 min. or more. It takes that long to start getting the benefit of the exercise. 25 or 30 min. is a good target once you are comfortable your heart rate is staying in the right range. Later on you might be able to go 45 min. or even longer. But start off slow like you're doing (10 min.) and build up from there (add 5 min. maybe once a week or so).

Indeed, good for you for getting back on the fitness road!

Just my personal perspective: I hate treadmills! My hatred for treadmills was a standing joke in my cardiac rehab. On the other hand, I find exercise bikes agreeable and I usually conned the nurses into letting me do more time on them and less on the treadmill. For one thing, the treadmill can be tough on the back, and I have back problems.

So, just from my perspective, would an x-bike or some other exercise machinery be better for you than a treadmill? And walks are great. Debby's advice of breaking up a day's exercise into smaller "doses" is also good. The medical folks ought to be able to give you good advice about the best exercise program and heart monitoring for you. Best of wishes in your journey!

I think someone starting out should probably consult their doctor.

I never went to a cardiac rehab, must not been popular when I had AVR. In fact never heard of one till this forum. After AVR I started back walking as soon as I felt like it since I had jogged and walked for many years. I'm like some of the others I hate treadmills and only use it when the weather requires. I like walking, try to do 3 miles a day in about 45 minutes. I'm normal weight, 75 years young, bought a heart monitor last year but seldom use it. I've had to cut back some this week due to heat and humidity.

Good luck

Funny how we're all so different. I enjoy the treadmill but not the exercise bikes. :)

Your surgery was 10 years ago so cardio rehab at this point is probably no longer relevant but think you should speak with either your Cardio or PCP (or both) before beginning an exercise regimine. Without knowing any possible risks you personally may have, it seems impossible for any of us to know what is safe for you. IMO

Kudos for wanting to get more fit and best wishes for satisfying success.
Let us know how you're doing.

I think someone starting out should probably consult their doctor.

I never went to a cardiac rehab, must not been popular when I had AVR. In fact never heard of one till this forum.

I agree with Olefin, talk with your doc before starting an exercise program. I also never went thru a cardio rehab program. After my stay in the hospital, they just sent me home, and as I recall, with few instructions. I never really started an exercise program until about 10 years ago (in my mid 60s) and that was to lower cholesterol (didn't work) and to strengthen upper body and back muscles (worked very well) to relieve spine pain. I now try to work out three times per week (30min treadmill and 45 min weight machines). I have never used a heart monitor. My docs advise me to "break a sweat" but forget about being a "triathlete.

I can't add anything to what the others have said - all good advice. I haven't even had my surgery yet and my cardio & surgeon both told me to keep my heart rate around 100 - but I also have a fairly slow resting heart rate at 55. It can take some work to get it to 100.

Good job for starting the road to good health! It will pay off - this much I know for sure. I do two miles walking most weekdays - not on a treadmill or out in the open air, but in an air conditioned mall. It's too dang hot here! Hope you continue to hang around the throwdown with the rest of the zoo.

Latest posts

Back