I found a supplier associated with my insurance!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

I Think anyways!

my Insurance gave me numbers to some medical suppliers that are IN the PPO network. it took me calling them all, but two, to find one that sells moniters!! errrgggh! damn that is getting old!

but i am keeping my fingers crossed that Sterling Medical Services will get insurance approval with low cost to me!! i really hope this works out:thumbup:

yeah i have talked to them but i really dont think that their services will work for me that well. in my situation i feel i would benefit more from my insurance company purchasing a meter. not to mention it will save them and me a ton of money over the coarse of my life. does this make sense or am i insane?

I doubt that any INR Monitor will last your lifetime. At your age now, 23 years, you can plan to buy more than several Monitors. We bought our first monitor in 2001 and the second one just about 3 years ago.

Does anyone here know the "life expectancy" of the monitors that folks are using on this site?

Blanche

i totally believe you Blanche!! i wish that they would last as long as this valve is supposed to!! but a couple hundred bucks a month for a "service" doesnt sound like a good idea for my pocket book even with the insurance paying for part of it

Usable life of meters may be an improper measure. Until Roche came out with some professional models of the XS, and some models aimed specifically at home testers, the manufacturers really had no way of knowing whether their meters would be used for 26 tests a year, or 26 tests a day. They made them to run, with minimal maintenance, for probably many thousands of tests.

Roche has made the CoaguChek S and earlier models 'end of life' models by announcing that it will stop supporting and stop manufacturing test strips past October 2011.

The question may not be one of finding a meter that will last 50 years -- it'll be one of whether or not the manufacturer will still support it, and whether or not you would even WANT to use an old meter. Have you tried finding a blank VHS tape? Do you have an 8-Track tape deck or 8-Track tapes?

Over the years, we'll undoubtedly see meters changing (if not actually improving), with more features (1,000,000 test memory perhaps), and incompatibilities with earlier models. It's the way the business works.

With an always rising number of people taking Warfarin (an older population with v-fib, and an increasing number of people with man made valves, and a growing acceptance of self-testing), there will probably be new monitors every few years. The cost of the strips will probably eventually drop. The regulatory authorities may realize that there's no harm done by allowing a self tester to purchase the strips directly without a prescription, and this may reduce the price of the strips.

But the idea of a 'lifetime' meter is probably not realistic - unless you expect to have a short lifetime.

well if my meter went bad but i tried to keep using it ...... then i would be in line for a short one:rolleyes2:

Possibly.

Of course, if you did a good job of dosing your diet, and maintained the diet and dosage, you may still be able to keep going if you maintain your dose -- even if the meter didn't work.

I think Dick, with his 47 year old valve, wasn't able to test for quite a while when he first had his valve implanted. The test then was to anticoagulate until you have bleeding problems (I thought he said this) - but he's still here.

Whichever meter you get, regular testing - and adjusting and testing even more often if you drop out of range - is both empowering and possibly life saving.

STOPPING warfarin, or doubling or tripling your dose (in other words, possibly taking advice from ill informed doctors or medical or dental assistants) -- are pretty good ways of assuring a shortened life.

Back