I cough...I get dizzy...What's up with that?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steve c

After a good cough I lose my eqyilibrium for about a second or two. This has never happed before. I've had AVR last September, have had random a-fib events (take Metoprolol and Coumadin for this). Otherwise I'm working out and such without incident. (I did, by the way, have a CAT scan several weeks ago (pre Coumadin) after "getting my bell rung" while refereeing a hockey game. This proved negative so I think my noggin is OK. But this never happened before...Any feedback?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

A few ideas come to mind about your cough induced dizzyness...

Could your Blood Pressure be dropping too low? (or high?)

Have you ever had Migraine Headaches?

Do you have any other visual effects (floaters, blanked out areas of your vision, double vision, other visual images)?

TGA's? (some sort of spasm of the brain arteries if I remember right)

Good luck in sorting it out.

'AL'

Hi Steve

A good deep cough can reset your heart if you were in an erratic pattern prior to coughing. I have had very very brief bouts of what they thought to be SVT or A-fib.

Was advised to place my head between my legs, bare down and cough. Not fun, but sure enough, back to a regular sinus rhythm. This has happened twice in 3-1/2 years since my MVR. Fortunately. it's not frequent and subsides within a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back