I can't stop crying

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgy Ticker

A serious post from me, for a change!!

I was wondering whether anyone else was suffering from this issue and if so, has anyone found a solution?

Ever since my life changed and I had my two beloved valves installed, I find myself crying at almost everything. I am in the middle of watching The West Wing end-to-end. This will be my 6th time, so no surprises. I ALMOST know the scripts by heart...

And yet I find myself in tears at the slightest tug of the emotions. Its not just TWW, but pretty much anything, whether it be a synthesizer tech review or a cook showing how to bake muffins. The slightest tug of the heart strings, and I am "off" - emoting to the point of tears.

I have read several articles on the net which state that often survivors of heart emergencies end-up being more emotional, although I have yet to read precisely WHY this happens.

So I was wondering -a re any of you guys also having this issue, and if so - how do you manage it?

Many thanks and be well

J

I will be interested in reading responses to this . I haven't had an emotional reaction to my heart surgery yet , but I have had enduring reactions to other experiences. I think there are a few other 'eyes' in us besides 'I' that are, experiencing and re-evaluating what is precious in life whether 'I' realize it or not.
We end up reacting without really knowing why. Insignificant events trigger emotional reactions. I think it is common.

I had this for a few months post surgery. I think it was a mixture of hormones and just being glad to be alive. 10 months later and I'm back to my normal cynical self (but still glad to be alive).

Interesting as I’m much the same, my emotions are all over the place (14 months after double valve replacement) tears come quite easily. Also wake up through the night and go into what I can only describe as a really deep thinking phase which may last for an hour or so. I seem to be over thinking pretty trivial things.
Can’t remember either the emotions or the other before the surgery.

It’s not unusual to have depression symptoms after major cardiac surgery. Might be complication from getting on pump. Should consider talking to your primary care physician and starting an antidepressant. Usually an SSRI agent.

What you experienced was traumatic and certainly your nervous system may be overly active as a result. I am not a patient but the parent of a heart patient and I experienced nightmares about my son dying in various ways. These continued for about 2 months following one of his surgeries. I think it may take a little time for you to get back to your emotional baseline.

Some statistics have shown anywhere from 20 to 40% of patients undergoing heart surgery can have it. It’s presence can cause an increased risk of poor outcomes. Along with drugs, excercise, getting some cognitive behavioral therapy. Don’t know that the latter works well on older population.

[/QUOTE]

I was wondering whether anyone else was suffering from this issue and if so, has anyone found a solution?

Ever since my life changed and I had my two beloved valves installed, I find myself crying at almost everything. I am in the middle of watching The West Wing end-to-end. This will be my 6th time, so no surprises. I ALMOST know the scripts by heart...

And yet I find myself in tears at the slightest tug of the emotions. Its not just TWW, but pretty much anything, whether it be a synthesizer tech review or a cook showing how to bake muffins. The slightest tug of the heart strings, and I am "off" - emoting to the point of tears.

I have read several articles on the net which state that often survivors of heart emergencies end-up being more emotional, although I have yet to read precisely WHY this happens.

So I was wondering -a re any of you guys also having this issue, and if so - how do you manage it?

Many thanks and be well

J
yes, I concur, 100% it happened to me. going on 7 years later, my emotional response to things is much more sensitive, and things can bring me to tears in a way that never used to happen for me.

It’s not unusual to have depression symptoms after major cardiac surgery. Might be complication from getting on pump. Should consider talking to your primary care physician and starting an antidepressant. Usually an SSRI agent.
I don’t think he’s talking about crying from depression. Just tears of emotion.

My father in law was heinous father to my wife and her sister before she meet me he did not care much that cold old Eastern European survival show no emotion mentality well he head triple bypass open heart after that he changed to more cold unemotional man still can be a dick but now accepts criticisms and is more open more emotional guess surgery did him good

Many thanks and be well

J

I had the same problem after my OHS. I believe it's related to a person's subconscious knowing "we" were dead for hours during the surgery. It can effect work, I'd get too passionate concerning things others had no passion for. It slowly goes away but not totally. I still get emotional over things I never used to but don't cry.

Interesting take in this article and the stories shared above - maybe there's something to the traditions that the heart is the seat of emotions?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5585554/
I haven't had heart surgery yet but I think what you're describing is not so much depression as bittersweet, as in Susan Cain's book "Bittersweet." I'm familiar with both states. Bittersweet is much better. Anything from a movie to a beautiful tree can trigger this feely, achy, sometimes beautiful feeling and I have always been this way. Maybe embrace it while it lasts.

Hi yes, I certainly did. The first few months after. Then I was querulous to say the least and then I sought some counseling which helped.

Shouldn’t it be normal to be a little all over the place emotionally? after all literally heart was opened up.

And surprisingly, this second year crying easily as well. But it’s a little different this year as it’s got gratitude and peaceful letting go elements the first year did not have that I’ve found easier.

So true, for many here have suffered from it in some form or another. What happened to me, I was fine till I was diagnosed a year or so later of being type two diabetes. And years later, lost my job of 18 years, set me into a deep depression. My dog Dixie kept me going. I still get depressed when it is a cloudy, bad weather day, snow or rain. And the type 2 also. But I am doing better. Trying to get outside more these days. And try to get back to reading and arts and crafts. Been doing fill it in books and search a word. Anything helps.

Yep - there's tons of data that heart surgery can have long term effects on a number of hormonal systems. There *isn't* a lot of clear data about what specific effects to expect. Depression seems to be relatively common, as is various types of ED/libido supression.

For me, I was fine for about 3 months, then had a very bad bout of severe depression. An SSRI/SNRI helped significantly, at least partially because it improved my sleep quality. Sleep hygiene is really critical for overall mood issues.

Separate from the depression, I have been more emotional. Highs are higher, lows are lower. My gratitude practice, which predates my heart issues by some 20 years, is more resonant. I've had to depend on my anger control practices more often, and to some extent, they've been more effective. That is, it's been easier to let angering stuff roll off my back.

YMMV.

I have experienced no emotional difference whatsoever

I was an automaton before surgery and that seems to be the case post surgery too

Yep - there's tons of data that heart surgery can have long term effects on a number of hormonal systems. There *isn't* a lot of clear data about what specific effects to expect. Depression seems to be relatively common, as is various types of ED/libido supression.

For me, I was fine for about 3 months, then had a very bad bout of severe depression. An SSRI/SNRI helped significantly, at least partially because it improved my sleep quality. Sleep hygiene is really critical for overall mood issues.

Separate from the depression, I have been more emotional. Highs are higher, lows are lower. My gratitude practice, which predates my heart issues by some 20 years, is more resonant. I've had to depend on my anger control practices more often, and to some extent, they've been more effective. That is, it's been easier to let angering stuff roll off my back.

YMMV.
Hi Michael
Re" heart surgery can have long term effects on a number of hormonal systems. "
Can you provide any links?
Big thanks
John

Latest posts

Back