I can't get life insurance anymore after my surgery. Suggestions.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullheart

Hello: I live in NC and after having my mechanical valve opertaion for Aortic Stenosis, I can get life insurance. I have been turned down at least 5 times. Does anyone have any suggestions for a company that could insure me? I would like to have a life insurance policy for my wife in case something happens. If I cant get that, then maybe enough insurance to cover my funeral expenses. I am healthy after the operation, so I am just preparing for the future. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum :)

Life insurance can be a problem......especially if you apply soon after surgery. I had this problem and I was in the life insurance business. Here are a few places to look:

a) Do you have group insurance thru your employer? Maybe you can buy additional group insurance? Check to see if your employer offers any voluntary life insurance plans. If you leave your employer check for your conversion rights to your group insurance.........this is how I obtained my personal insurance.

b) Contact an agent who specializes in higher risk coverage. This coverage is a little more limited and will probably carry a higher than standard premium......at least for a period of time.

C) Do you belong to any professional, fraternal or social organizations (AARP etc)? They often offer smaller amounts of coverage at reasonable prices.

Welcome to the forum :)

Life insurance can be a problem......especially if you apply soon after surgery. I had this problem and I was in the life insurance business. Here are a few places to look:

a) Do you have group insurance thru your employer? Maybe you can buy additional group insurance? Check to see if your employer offers any voluntary life insurance plans. If you leave your employer check for your conversion rights to your group insurance.........this is how I obtained my personal insurance.

b) Contact an agent who specializes in higher risk coverage. This coverage is a little more limited and will probably carry a higher than standard premium......at least for a period of time.

C) Do you belong to any professional, fraternal or social organizations (AARP etc)? They often offer smaller amounts of coverage at reasonable prices.

Hello: Thanks for your reply.

a) Yes I have LI with my company but I was looking for more. I tried to get supplemental LI through my company but they declined me.
b) How do I find an agent like that?
c) I'm too young for AARP. Are there any others out there? Thats a great idea.

Talk to the agent that handles your homeowner and auto insurance. He may be able to broker this for you or he will refer you to an agent that does write this kind of business. Check the Internet for "available life insurance after open heart surgery"......or other similar phrasing.

There is enough history on this type of surgery that makes the underwriting more predictable for insurers. Good luck (y)

After my first surgery, I was able to get 20 year term through AAA. I got the insurance over 10 years after I had my valve replaced. I was still in my early 30’s.

After my second surgery for my aneurysm, no more. I’m paying out my 20 year policy but can’t get a new one. The only alternative I’ve been given is to flip the existing policy to whole life and pay through the nose for it. I’ve checked with my current provider on just extending the term. I’ve tried the 800 numbers. I’ve talked to local independent agents I know to bid out quotes. I’m a pariah.

I do have six or seven times my salary through work that costs less than $20 a pay period with no exam. But I work for a large company. I just need to stay there.

Regarding final expenses, my wife can also get $50,000 in coverage on me through her work. I have the same on her through my work plus $10,000 on each of the kids for just a couple bucks a pay period total and I’ve got five kids. You can also check directly with funeral homes. They sell a pre-paid funeral plan that is just a cheap life insurance policy. I don’t know if they require an exam for those.

Self employed, we had to go through our local Chamber of Commerce under their group policy. No one would cover me unless I put the kids, the house & the dog up as collateral. : )
I don't know if that would be available to you.

Before I had my OHS, I asked my doctors about my ability to get insurance. They told me that I would have no problems - I had a bad valve, but it's been fixed.

I'm glad they knew more about valve replacement than they did about insurance -- but they should have known enough to give me an honest answer.

I have NEVER been able to get life insurance, except where it came automatically with a job. I was able to convert one of the employer's policies when I left. That was $10k back in 1972. That is ALL I have. That is all my survivors will get. I made other savings plans a priority.

Having grown up with this and with a mom that worked for a health insurance company, I always knew working for a large company with good benefits would be my safest course. I probably limited my upside. But slow and steady worked out pretty well for me over the years.

I have never looked for Life insurance, but living in Europe I have no hospital or doctors billsto worry about. I have provided for my family by getting on the property ladder when I was very young.

Funeral expenses don't have to so high. You could choose cremation or donating your body to science.

Since you already have a life insurance policy, maybe take what you would spend on an additional policy and invest the money. That way you are betting on living rather than dying!

Hello: Thanks for your reply.

a) Yes I have LI with my company but I was looking for more. I tried to get supplemental LI through my company but they declined me.
c) I'm too young for AARP. Are there any others out there? Thats a great idea.

Thrivent Financial is the biggest fraternal insurer (2.3mm members). A not for profit, est. by the Lutherans. About 8% of the life insurance in force is with fraternal insurers (40% is group life as an aside). #JCG

We bought term before my diagnosis It’ll be over soon but at this point we will be “self insured” as we both earn, have savings and the kids are almost grown. It’s a rough go if you have a younger family. I guess you have to do your best to build up your own savings and overall family earning power if you can’t get insurance to help provide security.

The only life insurance I have is through my employer. If I die of natural causes my 3 children will get about $200,000. If it is an accidental death it would be over $400,000. If I retire (not likely) or lose my job I have zilch except my home (with a mortgage) and a modest 401K. I had a $100k life insurance plan years ago long before surgery then decided I didn't need to be paying a $100+/month premium just so my kiddos can have spending cash when I'm gone. I recently asked my ex son-in-law (who is older than me) to pay for my funeral because my children won't have the money to do so. He agree so I am set :)

Everyone should have at least one person that also has access to their money. This is in case you are incapacitated. This person can use your savings or checking account funds to pay for the funeral. That's what we did for my surviving parent.

I've $750000 life insurance with Voya. I signed up 1 yr before my AVR surgery with ING, which was then bought by Voya. You can go through selectquote.com and let them know about your heart condition, so that they can choose companies which provide life insurance for heart patient.

Before I had my OHS, I asked my doctors about my ability to get insurance. They told me that I would have no problems - I had a bad valve, but it's been fixed.

I'm glad they knew more about valve replacement than they did about insurance -- but they should have known enough to give me an honest answer.
My mother had that problem years ago, when I was a child back in the 1970's and 1980's. I see that nothing has changed. When they find out about the heart disease and bypass surgery, Life insurance is harder to get. At least you do have something from work, as long as you keep working there. If you change jobs and go to one that does not offer Life Insurance, you would have to go through the private route. I would try to stay with the employer for as long as you can.

The only life insurance I have is through my employer. If I die of natural causes my 3 children will get about $200,000. If it is an accidental death it would be over $400,000. If I retire (not likely) or lose my job I have zilch except my home (with a mortgage) and a modest 401K. I had a $100k life insurance plan years ago long before surgery then decided I didn't need to be paying a $100+/month premium just so my kiddos can have spending cash when I'm gone. I recently asked my ex son-in-law (who is older than me) to pay for my funeral because my children won't have the money to do so. He agree so I am set :)
I hope you have that in writing about him paying for you funeral expenses that should include the casket and funeral services. Unless you are going the cremation route. And if you have a plot already. That can run you about several thousands of dollars. I will be doing cremation. Easier and Cheaper.

Carolinemc -- you've had medical issues. If you go for cremation, why not consider donating your body for research -- that way, students might be able to see a prosthetic heart valve, look for signs of your other medical issues, and maybe learn from it.
(Of course, many people avoid making the donation, some, perhaps believing that the body is sacred and it's better to burn it up than it is to let people learn from it.)

Carolinemc -- you've had medical issues. If you go for cremation, why not consider donating your body for research -- that way, students might be able to see a prosthetic heart valve, look for signs of your other medical issues, and maybe learn from it.
(Of course, many people avoid making the donation, some, perhaps believing that the body is sacred and it's better to burn it up than it is to let people learn from it.)
Not good for research if Diabtes does a number on the right eyeball, had a eye stroke with the left eye, or the major organs. And on the heart, will be bad when I go, I bet. So nothing good for research or usable for transplant. And the St. Jude's valve may be replaced with a different valve before I am dead. And I have some Native American Indian blood and have to honor my ancestors and my mother, who went with cremation herself. Nothing to learn from my dead body, when it happens one day, nothing will be left worth studying if I live to be 350 years old. Remember Star Trek, the Russian weapons guy, lived to be 350 years before he died in Star Trek Renegades, a fan paid creation. SO no, this body will not be going to science.

Latest posts

Back