I can't even GIVE my meters away

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure that Pellicle gets the thanks for recommending dental floss.

If you don't put the blood on the strip within 15 seconds of incising the finger, the blood can start to clot, throwing the value of the test off.

Hi Sharky.

Personally, I have not had this problem. Every now and then I will test my meter and strips against a blood draw from the lab. It has always been almost exactly the same INR reading and sometimes it is exactly the same. I think this is a good idea, whether one is using a meter and strips bought on Ebay, or whether said meter is supplied by the almighty insurance carrier. I do make sure to only buy from Ebay sellers with very high feedback ratings.
I get test my INR against a lab every few months. The results are often slightly lower than the results on the XS (although they may be even lower - closer to results from the XS).

I just got an XS Pro - this one was apparently used at a New York State hospital, and was apparently used to test patient's blood. The hospital system trusts it.

I still like my Coag-Sense, even if the results are usually lower than the XS. My reasoning is that if the Coag-Sense tells me my INR is above 2.0, I'm pretty certain that it really IS. (Even if the XS is more accurate - I'd rather have an INR of 3.2 from an XS than a 1.8 on a Coag-Sense). I don't test on the Coag-Sense as often as I test on my XS.

You can get errors when the batteries start to get low. I had some errors and called the number in the instructions after II burned through some strips. They ran me through a few things and recommended I replace the batteries with new ones. I did and it worked. I change them about every 2 years now.

For many in the US, the meters are free and it's the strips and lancets you pay for. That's the way it is for my BCBS plan. They don't tell you that, but if you look at the bill, you don't get charged for the meter and if you ask, they tell you it's free. When BCBS changed providers, the new provider sent me a new free meter with a mailer to return the old one.
How much do you have to pay out of pocket for the strips?

I learned from one of the people on this forum that although the meter is free (as long as he's on the service), they charge $20 PER STRIP. His out of pocket, after insurance, is $4.
This sounds like a pretty good deal, until you consider that insurance is paying $16 a strip for strips that only cost about four or five dollars.
It's no wonder insurance costs so much.

This sounds like a pretty good deal, until you consider that insurance is paying $16 a strip for strips that only cost about four or five dollars.
It's no wonder insurance costs so much.

When I was released from the hospital, I was getting lab draws and then I would communicate with the Coumadin Clinic. After about 10 days my Coaguchek arrived and I did my own testing. The Coumadin clinic asked that I send them my INR results through their portal. So, that is what I did and their reply was almost always the same, essentially: "Good job. Stay on the same warfarin dosage." Easy peasy. Then I got the EOB (explanation of benefits) from my insurance company, showing that each time I sent my own test results to the Coumadin clinic, they billed the insurance carrier $550, for taking the time to tell me I was doing a good job and keep it up.

As you say, no wonder insurance costs so much. As soon as I found out, I cut the clinic out of the picture. Medical billing in the US is really out of control.

I'm pretty sure that Pellicle gets the thanks for recommending dental floss.

If you don't put the blood on the strip within 15 seconds of incising the finger, the blood can start to clot, throwing the value of the test off.
Nope, Pellicle uses Rubber Band as per his video, it was other person.

I used to have problems getting the drop out of the finger, so read here about using a rubber band and that helped a bit, but then another person posted he uses a dental floss and THAT works like a charm, the only thing is that you have to mind the time, 15 secs is the recommended time from puncture to placing the drop on the strip, this works for me 100% of the time, the rubber 80%
I soak my hand in hot tap water for 2 minutes, dry off and then stick. Works every time.

I was able to donate some medical equipment (enteral pumps, IV poles) to a local charity that brings it to Bolivia; good org founded by a Bolivian guy and they partner with the government and a hospital and run a bunch of clinics in rural areas. But I think orgs like that are hard to find.

I have some oxygen hoses and minor stuff, still in its packaging, but I don't know where to donate it. Unfortunately, it's probably not worth enough to spend a lot of time looking for a place to give it - and they may not trust it because it didn't come directly from a distributor.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to either buy a fish tank, or toss it.

to the person who usually gets their panties in a twist about me saying anything please not Chuck is not Australian...

As you say, no wonder insurance costs so much. As soon as I found out, I cut the clinic out of the picture. Medical billing in the US is really out of control.

I sometimes get errors, too, but they're caused by the operator - not the strip. Nearly all the time I get an error, it's because I don't transfer enough blood onto the strip. At about $5 a strip, I try to be careful NOT to waste any strips, but it happens.

FWIW, I originally purchased from EBay which worked out GREAT. The user on ebay that I purchased from is reliamax. I've ordered 3 boxes of 24 strips from them and everything has been great. I found out that they have their own internet store. I went there and was able to get it cheaper than EBay. Same supplier ... but cutting out the Ebay middleman. My recent purchase was a box of 48 strips. Their store front is Home - Reliaston

Make sure it is a new, sealed box. Make sure the expiration date is far into the future. Done.

FWIW, I originally purchased from EBay which worked out GREAT. The user on ebay that I purchased from is reliamax. I've ordered 3 boxes of 24 strips from them and everything has been great. I found out that they have their own internet store. I went there and was able to get it cheaper than EBay. Same supplier ... but cutting out the Ebay middleman. My recent purchase was a box of 48 strips. Their store front is Home - Reliaston

Make sure it is a new, sealed box. Make sure the expiration date is far into the future. Done.

Their prices are good. Well under $5/strip. Thanks for the link.

I saw an offer for 48 strips (2x24) on eBay for $135, plus about $10 shipping. These expire on 10/31/23.
I was skeptical - I saw another vendor selling 48 strips that expire at the end of THIS year for slightly more.

I took a chance and received them a few minutes ago -- 10/31/23. Once I run out of my current box (a few months from now), I'll give the new ones a try.

I'll take a look at Reliaston, but should be fixed for strips, probably until next August or September if I average one test a week.

Sometimes there are actual deals out there, if you see them first and jump on them.

perhaps @slipkid simply hasn't seen this

Seen what?

(I haven't been up here in about a month too many life things getting in the way and am so tired/depressed most days off I just stay in bed...)

EDIT: OK sorry I guess you meant seen this thread. Duh. I came in here only via the Alert thing that said you "mentioned me". I'll go back and read this thread from the beginning...

Sometimes we don't realize that we can take pictures with our phones or, possibly more importantly, we can use the cameras to zoom text or pictures (or whatever) - kind of like an improved magnifying glass on your phone.
I've used my phone a few times for making tiny print readable.

I saw an offer for 48 strips (2x24) on eBay for $135, plus about $10 shipping. These expire on 10/31/23.
I was skeptical - I saw another vendor selling 48 strips that expire at the end of THIS year for slightly more.

I took a chance and received them a few minutes ago -- 10/31/23. Once I run out of my current box (a few months from now), I'll give the new ones a try.

I'll take a look at Reliaston, but should be fixed for strips, probably until next August or September if I average one test a week.

Sometimes there are actual deals out there, if you see them first and jump on them.
WOW, the lowest for 2x24 I have seen has been about $200usd. $135 for that amount is AWESOME I think. Most of the time that price is for 24, not 48........AND FOR SURE KEEP AN EYE FOR THOSE EXPIRE DATES!

Latest posts

Back