I am on my 3rd day returning to work after mech valve replacement - need some answers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello:

It's been a long time since I have been on this board. Some of you may remember me - I was diagnosed in May 28th to have my aortic valve replaced a second time in just 2 years. I had my first valve tissue valve replacement May 2011 and it was determined that I needed to have OHS again on Oct 4, 2013. So much back and forth with Cardiologists and Surgeon but had it done with a mechanical valve this time. I had major complications in the hospital and ended up with Acute Respiratory Failure - oh what fun! I was hospitalized for 20 days. I was in an induced coma for 4 days and my BF never left my side. When they were able to take me out of induced coma - I woke up to him unshaven and tearing. I do remember him whispering to me how much he loves me and wants to get married! I wanted to share how our loved ones go through this too!!!

Well, I'm on my 3rd day back at work. So the stress of re-entering my routine has caused my mechanical valve to beat like a LOUD DRUM.

Yesterday, I had the most incredible day of joy - I finally felt like myself again - if not better! I lost 50 lbs since the date I was re-diagnosed with aortic stenonsis - I got real serious about my heart disease. So, I look and feel amazing at normal weight. So the whole day I was high on life - so my heart pumped alot. I got home, and continued to feel good (back to work, gratitude for health insurance and my awesome employer) and guess what....my heart pumped loud all night long, I could not sleep a wink.

Woke up and got ready for work, still loud beats. Drove to work and it almost hurts now. Is it me? Is this what I have to get used to? When I was in rehab - I didn't have the stress of work it was loud but not like this. I am starting Cardiac rehab shortly.

Can someone shed some light?

Heartfelt thanks,
Genine

Genine,

Some of us with a Mech HV experience a pounding sensation in our chest. Other threads have concluded it might be something like a water hammer (ie: when pipes under the house bang against the floor joists as the sprinklers turn on). Some feel it a little, it bothers others a lot. For myself, I didn't feel it much until I got home from the hospital 5 days after AVR. It doesn't bother me much now, but I do feel a pounding sensation, especially if I breath in deep. If the doctor is not concerned, it may not be an issue. Hopefully you'll get used to it.

Genine,
I don't have an answer to your question as I have a tissue valve, but just wanted you to know that I am so glad you have this behind you. What an ordeal you went through. I also agree that it is also an ordeal for our loved ones.
I hope in time the loud sensations will diminish for you.
All the best,

Genine,

Your experience sounds normal to me. My bovine valve was quiet and smooth. My mechanical valve clicks and clacks and thumps. I've gotten used to it and you will too. My wife says it's music to her ears. So long as it keeps clicking and clacking, I'm happy.

Mine isn't that loud, but the feeling of a strong pulse in my head can be quite distracting. And yes - it was worse when I first when back to work. I attributed it to anxiety/stress. After a few weeks back, I'm much better.

Hi

Well, I'm on my 3rd day back at work. So the stress of re-entering my routine has caused my mechanical valve to beat like a LOUD DRUM.

yeah, mine is like that too .. but not all the time. I've put it down (by observation) to blood pressure. When it makes a bigger bass sound (my mate thought it was a distant car stereo) I find that my BP is higher.

Like Chaconne says:
Some of us with a Mech HV experience a pounding sensation in our chest. Other threads have concluded it might be something like a water hammer (ie: when pipes under the house bang against the floor joists as the sprinklers turn on).

which makes sence when you consider that it is a pressurized hydraulic sort of system ...

I've also thought it may be related to additional scar tissue formation behind the sternum too.

When I was in rehab - I didn't have the stress of work it was loud but not like this. I am starting Cardiac rehab shortly.
err ... so when you were in rehab suggests you've already started, but I am starting suggests you haven't.

which is it?
Heartfelt thanks,

boom boom ;-)

This reply deserved a seperate reply

I woke up to him unshaven and tearing. I do remember him whispering to me how much he loves me and wants to get married! I wanted to share how our loved ones go through this too!!!

that's just wonderful ... its lovely to hear such heart warming stories (seriously, no pun intended). I wish you all the best in your lives together. Clearly you've already found you can rely on each other when times are tough.

My lovely wife was at my feet in ICU before I woke up
8380796747_38802db976.jpg

and even came into the ward in a bunny costume to cheer me up:
8391121023_342a90f19a.jpg

love is a precious thing.

Pellicle,

I might need to borrow the bunny costume for my husband to wear when my surgery time comes. I KNOW that would cheer me up. Wonderful.

I've been wearing earplugs at night. It helps me with the mech. valve noise. The thumping heartbeat has lessened since my surgery in early June.

All of you are so awesome! Thank you for responding. I have gotten uses to the loudness but turns out yesterday after seeing my cardiologist I was in a-fib and abnormal heart beats that showed up on 2 EKGs. He said its common post surgery to go into A-fib only one time. He assumed I already experienced this during the 20 day stay. He gave me a 30 day supply if beta blockers. I immediately feel normal and back to the norm. Yes it's a bit to get used to and I have but yesterday my call cardiologist was necessary and he promised once this passes I won't this loud beating drum. I ended up so happy I cried. I've been thru a lot. So incredibly happy that it's not forever. I felt a normal beat all day yesterday. Yay! I go back to cardiologist on Jan 3rd. This should all pass by then.

Loved the bunny suit. So glad I'm home again.

❤️Genine

Pellicle - LOVE IS WONDERFUL!

I am feeling much better today (Tuesday, Dec 10th) I'm so glad I don't have to do this alone. I'm 53 and don't know too many "younguns" that have had OHS. I had bursts of emotions right after allow myself to cry - especially at the happy things in life, like family and loved ones. I stayed with my Mom in Florida for 18 days, I cried lots - and she let me :)

Now, I'm reading a book on Warafin and my INR has been very good - so as they say "life is good"

thank you all!
Genine

I know there have been other discussion threads about post-op thumping. Mine lasted a month or so and was strongest when taking a deep breath in. I really don't think it has anything to do with the mechanical valve (which sounds more like a ticking clock) and is mostly due to the heart used to beating much harder than it now needs to and taking time to adjust to the improvement in working conditions. Kind of like how lunar astronauts would tend to leap across the landscape because they were used to normal Earth gravity. I experimented with it and would inhale very deeply and hold it. Though my heart would feel like it was pounding against my sternum and ribs, there was no real discomfort. One theory I read is that when you inhale, your diaphragm creates a negative pressure in the chest cavity to inflate the lungs and also allows the heart to expand. Now that it's not struggling against a bad valve (especially if it was stenotic) it is free to really let loose.

There is also the theory that it has to do with the pericardium being cut away and no longer cushioning the heart, until it grows back, but that is way less interesting. ;)

I got a tissue this time, but still could hear it beat very intensely for the first few months, I beleive as my heart was shrinking back to normal size. I hear it still, on occasion, but not nearly as much as before. The fact is, the pericardium acts as an additional layer of insulation. When it is cut back and left open, you will hear it more regardless. If you have a thin frame, you will hear it even more.

One thing that helped me alot, especially in the early months was an iphone app called Sleep Pillow Sounds. The app has a picture of an owl on it. That app is amazing and has all kinds of sounds to fall asleep to. My favorite was rain on the tent.

I know there have been other discussion threads about post-op thumping. Mine lasted a month or so and was strongest when taking a deep breath in. I really don't think it has anything to do with the mechanical valve (which sounds more like a ticking clock) and is mostly due to the heart used to beating much harder than it now needs to and taking time to adjust to the improvement in working conditions. Kind of like how lunar astronauts would tend to leap across the landscape because they were used to normal Earth gravity. I experimented with it and would inhale very deeply and hold it. Though my heart would feel like it was pounding against my sternum and ribs, there was no real discomfort. One theory I read is that when you inhale, your diaphragm creates a negative pressure in the chest cavity to inflate the lungs and also allows the heart to expand. Now that it's not struggling against a bad valve (especially if it was stenotic) it is free to really let loose.

There is also the theory that it has to do with the pericardium being cut away and no longer cushioning the heart, until it grows back, but that is way less interesting. ;)

Genine,
That is frightening. I hope it is getting better.

What Tissue valve did you have and why did it need to be replaced so soon?
What mechanical do you have now?
Thanks
Tom

I've just passed one year with my mechanical valve. I still get quite a firm, annoying pounding at night, usually have to take something to go to sleep, otherwise I toss most of the night trying to ignore it. My ticking is loud sometimes, quiet others, the ticking has never really bothered me, but the pounding and thumping still does. Often goes into my throat, or up the sides of my neck.
During the day I don't notice it much except if I've been exerting too much. But for the first several months it caused me quite a bit of anxiety, I have to admit. My cardiologist kept me on strong sleep meds for the first few months. Now melatonin seems to work .
Very glad to hear you're doing better now!

Latest posts

Back