I am Back From Boston Appointment......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Harry,

I love your attitude despite the grim diagnosis of your heart.

I too, live with a pretty grim diagnosis & I must face the stark reality that I will probably die from the progression of CHF because, "the risks outweigh the benefits" as the drs. have told me.

But we can't sit around & wait to die. We must enjoy & love each day as though it will be our last.

And I think Lou said it best when she said: "we must live to live, not live to die."

So go on with what you're doing, giving extra hugs to those you love & care about. Afterall, that's what life is all about! :)

Prayers to you my friend!

Harry, baby, you got it right. Live life on your terms and live for the day. Of course, it probably won't hurt to follow a few of the doctor's ideas. My daughter had the full bariatric surgery about a year ago and it has changed her way of living some, but she also has lost quite a bit. However, she also has two friends that did the lap band and had results just as good...except they seem to be more prone to yo-yoing in weight.

Anyway, guy, we're all 100% behind you and will help you up every hill you need to climb. Keep the faith!

Midge

Sorry for the news. As Al mentioned, at least you have some validation now. Should you decide you feel like taking on the Dr.'s challenge of trying to lose some weight - check out Cooker's weekly throwdown. Goodness knows everyone there knows how hard it is and we try to keep each other encouraged and have a little fun. Just inviting you if you get the determination to do it!

Best of luck to you regardless!!

Rhena

I just wanted to let you all know that I had my appointment with Dr. Marcilla Calfon on Friday at Mass General Hospital, and she confirmed definitely that I DO have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (My heart muscle is stiffening) and as a result I DO have Congestive Heart Failure. She said that there is nothing they can do for the CHF except to monitor me periodically with a Echo and possibly a stress test to try and prevent me from having a heart attack as this would cause the CHF to progress even quicker.

I don't know how to say this other than to come right out and say it....they told me that I am dying from this, and because of my diabetes and other health issues, an eventual transplant would be out of the question.

Dr. Calfon would like to see me go through Bariatric Surgery to lose this weight that I have on now, but I did tell her I would consider Lap Band but NOT the full, cut me up inside surgery as my insides are already messed up for one thing and for another, I have a friend that now regrets having the full surgery as she just about died from that alone.

Dr. Calfon made absolutely no mention of the condition of my valves except to say that in my legs and ankles and such, I have "Venous Insufficency" which means the valves in my veins have weakened and are leaking, hence all the fluid retention. She is going to prescribe compression stockings for that.

I will know more after another echo and stress test in Boston the day after Thanksgiving.....Am I scared? Yes.....Am I going to stop living? Not on your life....I will keep going as long as I can keep going, and continuing with school and getting my degree is so very important to me. I am going to keep on enjoying the beautiful days, my beautiful nieces and family and friends and life in general....I will say however, that I am going to live my life the way that I want to and not so much more the way that the society in my area tries to dictate how I live my life. I am more than certain that when my body says its time to rest, that I will follow through. :eek::D:D:eek:

thank you, Harry. at least you have some answers to guide your life choices now. it's been a long time coming and you know that we are right there with you through it all. When we don't see you, we will know you don't feel just right that day but will see you the next day. Hang in, my dear Harry. You are a very special guy. Live your life and enjoy every moment, every day, no matter what you are doing and whoever you are with and wherever you are. Blessins...............

Harry, Sorry to hear the news, I will be praying for you. You have such a wonderful attitude and that is so important. You keep enjoying life!

God bless,
Lori

Harry- you knew things were not right and you finally got a doctor to give you an answer. I agree with Al, you now know what to fight and how to fight it. You are in my prayers friend.

I love your attitude, keep living as you said. Your in my prayers. Laura B.

Harry, as the others have said, glad for the update, sorry for the news. But, confirmation of what you knew along is, at least, a step toward a better way of handling your conditions. I'm curious, though, why did you say you would need to wait until the semester is over before having the lap band (if you decide to do it)?

Back