I’m Kathryn and I recently had a TAVR aortic valve replacement. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis in December of 2020.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathmack

Has anyone who has had an aortic valve replacement found out that their new valve was not working properly (too much blood being regurgitated) and had to get a TEE procedure so the doctor can discover why this problem happened? This happened in my case. The results from the TEE procedure was, apparently, that my valve had corrected itself in the two months since I learned of the regurgitation problem. My doctor seemed to indicate that this situation is extremely rare - is that the case?

Hi Kathmack, if it's extremely rare, odds are the patients on this site may not have experience with it. I've been on for awhile and never heard of valve problems reversing themselves. Some times the numbers get better between routine echos, but not drastically and this could be due to imprecision in the imaging technique not a spontaneous cure.

"You're a miracle" thank your higher power :) but get tested again to make sure it stays that way.

Reactions: Eva
I am only speculating but it is possible for a leaflet to get "stuck" within the expanding metal cage during deployment and then work itself loose over time. That's the only scenario I can think of - this would be more more likely for a self-expanding valve vs a balloon expandable valve.

What test showed it wasn’t working properly? A possible issue is a misreading of the first test showing an issue, and the more accurate test showing there wasn’t an issue to begin with.

Did you actually feel different? Symptoms that it wasn’t working?

Reactions: Eva

Latest posts

Back